• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Taking advantage of planned obsolescence or just being happy with what you have, either way you win.

I can’t help but notice a trend where we are convinced we need the latest PCP or that manufacturers that don’t update yearly are no longer worth a look. Two examples are Air Arms and AirForce. You can’t have a thread about either without mention of the lack of innovation. My modest collection contains one of each. A Condor SS in .25 that thanks to installation of the Ring lock valve kit gets a very flat 70 shot string of 48 ftlbs with little Change in POI. Airforce guns rarely leak and the three that I have owned all do the standard Lothar Walther barrel proud. My old S510 with Walnut stock is as pretty as the most expensive, latest greatest from the competition, it has never leaked and is one hole accurate. I don’t think I will put either in the classifieds. I think it great that both of these manufacturers haven’t bent over backwards to make my guns look like last years junk on a yearly basis. It doesn’t hurt resale that they both still look current either. I do check the classifieds daily as many do feel the need for the latest, which makes for some great deals.

72099479784__EF46B410-4271-4CE6-B88A-AEBDBAB44678.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm with you on this one.

Watching the marketing that occurs on the various forums, it's easy to see that there are many people that want the latest and greatest. At one point I was among them.

Nowadays I find myself content with the QB78 that took so much quality time and effort to bring into useful form. If the fly dies, then I'm happy.

Cheers,

J~

IMG_4855.JPG

That AA is a gorgeous classic. No way id part with it either. In all honesty, the older guns tend to be my favorites. They are still viable and in use for a reason.
PSX_20230130_222524.jpg

Don't get me wrong, innovation is fun and exciting. I like playing with new ideas and concepts. But not to the point of financial demise 🤣 I'd hate to see how many new (or old) guns I'd have if I was loaded. I also have a problem with parting with things. So, you can guarantee I'd be swimming with them.

Happy? I'm absolutely overjoyed with my "obsolete" airguns! The overwhelming point & desire of people's quest here is dependability & ACCURACY! Does it really matter how old a gun is or whether a manufacturer actively markets that gun anymore? To me it doesn't. Too many people believe that if you don't have the "latest & greatest" on the market that they're somehow behind the 8 ball. Accuracy & dependability has been my quest from day one. Throw in simplicity, low maintenance & quietness, then, in my opinion, I've found the "holy grail" of airguns! Not once, but 3 times!
20220430_141943.jpg

Latest and greatest is not the way of my people. I'd rather buy something old and beat up and fix it than something new. Also I try not to break the bank. Bought a crosman 1322 instead of a Notos recently mostly because I thought it would be more affordable. I was wrong. I'm almost 300 bucks into it and it doesn't even have a walnut stock... yet. My most recent purchase was a "parts only" Sheridan Blue Streak that had been beat to hell. So far I have only refinished the stock, still waiting on the reseal kit. The stock turned out to be the nicest piece of walnut to see the inside of my gun safe. Maybe if someone decides to buy the sheridan for a stupid amount of money I'll buy something a little newer than a 60's sheridan... maybe get a disco or something

There is a need for some to have the latest, they usually have the money to do so, we who do not have that need rely on these people to purchase their through offs on the "for sale sites".Thank you for that;)
Agree that some think they have to have the latest thing, but don't be so sure that most of them can afford to do so. There is a reason that the US is now at over a trillion dollars of credit card debt. That's a lot of stuff bought by people that don't have the money for it, and are willing to pay even more just to "have it now" rather than wait till they can really afford it.

@TheWhiteBreath a proper 13xx build is rather expensive. Ive been recommending the pp800 for a while as the cheapest option for a great shooter that needs little work. Though they have definite drawbacks compared to the 700 or 750.
Ya, I wouldn't mind having a few of them PPs around. Look like good little squirrel getters.

Lets put it in a perspective that some people interested into competition shooting, and there are a decent variation of sport shooting events we can find our piece.
I know very well what that means loosing a "medal" for a single point. You work so hard with your mind and form 24/7, tuning the mechanics to very last second, and at the day Zero the other guy wins for that fricking one point.
Did you lost that single point because you didn't do your homework to the 100% but definitely shows the other guy did a better job.
Was he's a better tuneable equipment maybe? What he did do or what was he's trick?
No one of us would completely admit the other guy just had better luck that day.
And here the constant buying and tinkering lays. Latest and greatest to go ;)
I would exclude from this equation the famous impulse buyers or/and addicted to shopping....those guns will very soon show up in classifieds - as we know.

That's a good reason why I don't really get into competitive anything. It can be fun for a large number of reasons. But often there are those that just take it far too seriously. I don't want to be one of those. Don't much care for the company of those either. Also, I have nothing to prove to anyone but myself. I do find joy in the tuning and tinkering. But that just results in more trick shots or more clean dispatches. The vast majority of which are not documented or witnessed by anyone but me. And of course there is the satisfaction of knowing your tools are dialed in.

I don't think there is anything wrong with buying the latest and greatest if you have the money for it and that's how you want to spend it. But I agree with keeping guns that meet your needs for as long as they work for you. I have only been shooting PCPs since 2020 after retiring. So I have not had any of my PCPs very long. My Prod is a pretty old design but it works for me. My other guns are regulated but the Prod shoots fine without it.

In evaluating the "latest and greatest" I think it's important to evaluate what the gun offers and whether you need those features. I don't think it's entirely healthy to buy something just because it's the latest thing. For example, I don't really want a Notos. Not because it isn't a great gun but because it is a small carbine in many ways similar to my Prod. It's regulated and has a bit more power but I think it also has a worse trigger. That's important to me. So I don't want to "trade up" and I only want one small low powered carbine. I'm glad a lot of people are enjoying them but I don't need one.

But there are newer features that are important to me. The Prod's bolt action doesn't really bug me but I wanted a side cocking bullpup because I shoot from my left shoulder and don't want a cocking lever in my face. I do not want one that has a magazine sticking out the side into my face. I keep looking at higher end PCPs and may buy one but so far I am not seeing anything that checks all the boxes. I don't care that there are new models. I care whether they do what I want them to do.

I've always wanted an Air Arms S510, beautiful guns but can't I justify buying at new prices. A while back someone reached out to me (elsewhere) with a great offer on a second hand S510TC and I jumped on it. Some folks might not like the twin cylinder setup, I had some slight reservations myself, but once behind the trigger I was thrilled with the accuracy and enjoy the higher shot count over similar guns with only a single cylinder.

The only "problem" I've had is it's point and click accuracy gets boring, if you even call that a problem. Messing around I spun the power dial all the way down hoping for more of a challenge. Don't you know them 18gr JSB's on low power track just as true when just lobbed down range, Lol. Don't matter if it's 20 yards or 80, only the hold over changed. Things didn't start to get fun until pushing beyond 80 yards, but that's with any accurate air rifle shooting .22cal pellets on relatively calm days. Could say the same about my Cayden, which has been fantastic (but just as boring, Lol). Then again, what do I know, I'm more of a springer guy 😅

I purchased Weihrauch rifles to avoid the "Latest and Greatest" syndrome I caught with PCP's. They are timeless, simple and accurate. Will outlast me by a long shot. I shoot them way more than my PCP's now.
Weihrauch guns fall under the change is worse category. They hold value so well because when they do make a minor change we all agree the old ones were better. That doesn’t mean we’re right, they are all either current or future classics. I will always have at least one. Now I will take advantage of a chance to show off my 80K.

IMG_1091.jpeg

My perspective as a (grumpy) old guy...

Be it airguns or computers or whatever, if the product does what I need it to then it's not obsolete.

If a new product is released that gives new or improved functionality THAT I REQUIRE (and can afford and justify) then upgrading or purchasing will be budgeted.

I feel that impulse buying, buying to keep up with my peers or buying "just because it's new" are poor reasons for spending money. Marketing hype has little effect on me, new technology is something else though. ☺️

Buying for bragging rights to impress your friends is OK if you can afford it and that's important to you. 🙄

Importantly (to me now), is that there's nothing wrong with buying something I don't need just because I want the item. If it gives me pleasure to own and use something then it's added to the budget list for acquisition. No regrets, no remorse.

I was never a "first adopter", always waiting for revision 2. That's changed, at my age waiting for the next release may be a lost opportunity to enjoy some new and improved.

My wife convinced me to get the Panthera when it first came out, now there's the King (which is more to my preference). I don't regret not waiting, shooting the Panthera has been a hoot. Can't justify getting a King... I might get one for no reason other than I like the way it looks 😁

No, I'm not "rich". My attitude towards indulging myself is based on a lifetime of (out of necessity) being frugal and having to do without. Retired now, kids are gone, no mortgage or loans and income exceeds expenses. I've got a couple of years left and am going to enjoy them... they can sell my toys in the estate sale.

As one who is happily retired, I sincerely hope that everyone is as fortunate as I have been.

On another note...

The improvements (accuracy, power, range) we have seen in recent years are amazing and kudos to the companies that are investing into the new technology. I support innovation.

I have commented that the Air Arms S510 is essentially a dressed up version of the a basic 400 that I looked at years ago. IMHO, there's nothing wrong with tried and true designs. I recently purchased a S510 XS and I'm very pleased with it. I just wish that as a major airgun manufacturer that AA would show more innovation.

Anyways, enough rambling. I'm off to do some shooting!

Cheers!