Taipan's Got a Nasty Bite

My nephew is home from the Marines on leave from California right now, so my parents and I took him and his girlfriend fishing to private pond. I however took my Taipan to play with at longer range and check my zero (48 yards by Chairgun optimization for 1" kill zone). 

Set up and shot my first group at 48yards and then backed the speed adjust down some to see how group was. the 2nd group seemed to open up some, so I adjusted back to original spot.

48 yards 33.95 JSB 900FPS 3" target. 

20210714_190850.1626315568.jpg

2nd group at slower velocity(???).

20210714_190846.1626315753.jpg

Group at 100 yards after returning velocity to 900FPS. 

20210714_212904.1626315842.jpg

For some reason it seams that there is one flyer in each 5 shot group.

I am thinking that it made need a little more cleaning, or maybe polishing after slugs caused alot of lead buildup from tight choke, even though I cleaned it pretty well already.

Anyway, after some more groups at 48 yards I felt confident enough to head over the the warehouse that my dad's boss has behind the property. He has been having issues with groundhogs and other critters invading the property and destroying flooring that is stored there. I have been given full permission to remove these pest, and this is one reason I buy my hunting license every year. After about 20 minutes of waiting at the fence line that sits next to the building, which gives me a 38-63 yard shot range, this little one came out from under the building at 46 yards.

20210714_202855.1626316997.jpg

He dropped on the spot and was half in and out of the hole. After verifying that pellet passed completely through, he was collected and taken to the field next the the pond to feed the resident Red-tailed Hawke family, so nothing is wasted.

nicely done are using a mag ?try laoading one at a time to see if flyer disappears

Thanks!

Yes, this was from the mag. I will try with the tray next time. Since I used the same mag the whole time, I will also try from the other mag.

All pellets weights were from 34.20 - 34.29 by my digital scale. So even if the scales base calibration is off, they are all within .09 of each other, as I found weight varied about 2gr from highest to lowest in tin.

What is the difference between Mk1 and Mk2 JSB 33.95's? 

It just says some barrels prefer one over the other, so I wonder if the LW barrel of the Taipan might like the Mk2's a little better.

I would definitely check the mags vs single shot tray. Then I would check the barrel. Then I would check bolts to make sure they're all tight.

I spent a lot of time trying to narrow down why my first Veteran would have random flyers and it was narrowed down to a slightly leaky regulator.

Is there any specific bolts you are talking about?

All of the bolts that tighten my rail to barrel and air cylinder are tight, as well as screws in stock.

I would definitely check the mags vs single shot tray. Then I would check the barrel. Then I would check bolts to make sure they're all tight.

I spent a lot of time trying to narrow down why my first Veteran would have random flyers and it was narrowed down to a slightly leaky regulator.

Is there any specific bolts you are talking about?

All of the bolts that tighten my rail to barrel and air cylinder are tight, as well as screws in stock.

Nope, those are the ones I was taking about. 

nicely done are using a mag ?try laoading one at a time to see if flyer disappears

Thanks!

Yes, this was from the mag. I will try with the tray next time. Since I used the same mag the whole time, I will also try from the other mag.

All pellets weights were from 34.20 - 34.29 by my digital scale. So even if the scales base calibration is off, they are all within .09 of each other, as I found weight varied about 2gr from highest to lowest in tin.

What is the difference between Mk1 and Mk2 JSB 33.95's? 

It just says some barrels prefer one over the other, so I wonder if the LW barrel of the Taipan might like the Mk2's a little better.

I’ve noticed a difference in diameter of the skirts, more specifically how far the skirts flare out. Different guns (of mine) prefer different King Heavies (MKI or MKII). I can use both depending on the gun, but it appears that JSB changed the design since the older/original King Heavies were produced. Beyond that I don’t know. However, you may want to ask @Centercut about the specifics or check out some of his posts. He’s been lamenting how JSB hasn’t been producing the old .25 King Heavies. I read something he said about the depth of cavity within the skirt as well. Here’s a couple posts where he discusses the differences https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/a-question-for-jsb/?referrer=1

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/in-stock-jsb-diabolo-exact-king-heavy-25-cal-33-95-grn-150ct-pyramyd-air/?referrer=1