• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Taipan vs edgun

Hi,

I've purchased a Lelya & R5M standard from Edgun West (Brian). Everything went as planned without any surprises or delays. I did purchase through the website and only talked to Brian after the fact to get a few things on the Edguns adjusted to my liking.

I've also purchased a pair of Taipan Longs from Tony at Talon Tunes. I called him directly for information which he was nice enough to response to my questions. I told him I'd get back to him. As usual, a decision was not made by myself so I just bought two flavors. Shipping was prompt. Guns look and function really well. Picked up a few standards and a short off the boards as well as a short from Utah Airguns IIRC. All vendors and board members have been excellent.

Comparing the two guns: Aside from both being bullpups, there are some differences. 

Taipan - Goodness. The trigger is a joy. Hammer strike is a minimum ping. Suppression is quite good. I shoot all of my Taipans on the wimpy end of the velocity spectrum. I like shooting empty 9x19 casings as targets @ 35 yards. They are easy targets and disappear when you connect.

Edgun R5M platform (Lelya is a short, restocked R5M IMHO). Different animal than the Taipan. Trigger could be described as a hunting trigger. Not bad. Just not really light. My powder burner friends find themselves more at home with the Edgun trigger. Supression is good. I'm not sure if sound moderation is as good as the Taipans in stock form. Hammer noise is quite noticeable with the Edgun. As a matter of fact my initial tune left my right ear ringing. Now my R5M doesn't have the plastic cover over the breach. My Lelya has the newer plastic breach cover that quiets things down a bit.

Cocking: Taipan is very, very smooth. I reach over with my left hand to cock the gun. Easy to get acclimated. Edgun is up front, both sides. I still load with my left hand but obviously could use either hand. I have to look into both my Edguns. The seem to drag when moving the cocking piece. Kind of stick at the rear position. I don't mind the lack of mechanical advantage of the Edgun design but the dragging just doesn't feel up to a airgun in this price range. I may have to spend some quality time with the Edguns and the videos online that are said to resolve this issue.

Out of the box: All my Taipans have been issue free. Both my Edguns have had their EDMU's replaced by Wika gauges. The R5M EDMU was DOA. The Lelya I replaced as it was not easy to see in the bright Florida sun. Neat concept. It just didn't work well for me. I got the yellow laminate stock on the R5M. Yes. Very nice.

As mentioned, both gun designs (Taipan & Edgun) have easy to adjust hammer spring tension. A bit easier on the Taipan. Edguns have "clicks" or "detents" you can count from the lowest setting quickly to repeat to the same spring preload.

Accuracy: I play only. I do set-up the guns on paper. My Lelya shooting the Crossman 14.3gr HP (Walmart) I only put on paper the day I set up the scope. 9 shots in one ragged hole at 30 yards. I'd have done 10 shots if I could count. Not impressive at that range but even with my lack of skills that little gun can shoot. The Taipans (for me) do the same. I've got them in 22 and 177. I do my part and you watch the pellet rise and fall on the vertical crosshair when shooting distance. Both guns hit what you aim at.

Overall I shoot the Taipans a bit more around the house as I like the triggers for bench work. Carry about gun I grab the Lelya even over a Taipan Compact. Taipan Compact is great for kids however.

Good luck. Very nice guns. I can't find much for parts for either gun. Edgun West normally has some valve parts. Orings are easy for both. Taipan parts? IDK where to find them. Glad I don't need any!

Enjoy,

Nugria

It’s going to be hard to find information on Taipan parts because very few guys have needed them
1f60e.svg
. Maybe call the distributors and ask them.

Exactly

I have owned both a Edgun R5 .30 Standard and a TV .25 Standard. Both have been very accurate long range machines for CA ground squirrels. The longest shots for both has been 155yds. The R5 with the 44.75gr@885 and the TVS with the 34gr@890. Smackdown.

I did a 6 week 6shot group with the R5. One shot a week for six weeks with 3 44.75 JBB and 3 44.75 PolyMags. All six shots into the same hole @ 20 yards. So it's consistent. The trigger is a very good "hunting weight"..set to 2.5lbs..breaks like glass.

The TVS also had a great trigger. Set about 15oz. Broke very cleanly, but seemed to have a "tiny burr" from the factory that worked itself out over time. The closest thing I can equate the sensation to is an archery back-tension release with a .0001" click ledge. Pressure on 2nd stage takeup would occasionally give an almost imperceptable "click", then a tiny bit more pressure would fire. It worked itself out, so I'm thinking a something on the sear that smoothed over time.

Never had the TVS apart..no need..it just worked. The R5 has been apart to change and adjust the Huma reg. Really simple to do. The EDMU sucks. After a battery change, the pressure point got more and more finicky. When I last checked, it took nearly 30 seconds of "pushing" in different spots to get it to read. A Wika is going to be installed.

I sold the TVS, but kind of regret it. Still have the R5 and have no plans on selling.

Six week group..

SixWeekGroup.1615174526.png

R5 44.75 at !00yds..3 shots between wind gusts

target-885 44gr At 100yds.1615174647.jpg

I purchased my TVL in .22 from Utah Airguns on Christmas weekend. Shipped on Monday received on Wednesday (to central California). Bought the DonnyFL hammer spring quick adjustment knob along with it. Came shooting pretty hot out of the box; JSB 18g at 993 FPS. Have since backed it off to 890-900. I also found the Edgun interesting but I’m smitten with the Vet and regret nothing . While central side lever cocking would be nice the action on the Taipan is so smooth that it is no hindrance at all being at the rear of the gun. 

Good luck with whatever you decide on. Should be pretty hard to go too far wrong with either. FWIW I’d buy the Vet again if I had to do it over. 

I have an R5M Standard in .25cal and it fits my needs as a bullpup. The only thing holding me back on picking up a Taipan Veteran is the rear cocking. When the next gen comes out and if a mid cocking version is offered, I'll be sure to pick one up. I know a lot of owners say "You'll get used to it" but I don't want to. I know what I want and don't care to make compromises. I know that the cocking is smoother on the Taipan Veteran compared to the R5M platform but it's not like I'm entering it in the EBR Speed Silhouette contest. I do like the fact that the R5M's cocking lever is on both sides. I find myself reacting for either side depending on what shooting position I'm in.

Before I purchased the R5M, the Taipan Mutant was a consideration back then. The only issue with the older Taipan Mutant was the barrels. You weren't sure what you were getting at the time. I recalled that they came with CZ barrels but some received theirs with Listone barrels which weren't as good from all the reports back then. I here a lot of good things about the Taipan triggers but my R5M trigger isn't bad. It is adjustable and have it where I like it which is somewhere in the 1 pound to 1 and 1/2 pound range. It's very predictable. I'll test it later with my trigger pull gauge. 

I hardly hear any issues with the Taipan Veterans but it stil doesn't mean that there won't be. Having good aftermarket support and parts available for purchase. I like fixing things myself and as long as it doesn't go beyond my skill level, I'll fix it myself. That's one of the reasons I steer towards EDgun. There's a lot of videos out to make simple adjustments and repairs. Brian at EDgun West always answers my calls or text via WhatsApp and answers any questions I have.

I will admit that I also had issues with the EDMU digital gauge and have since changed it out to a Huma. I also had a broken cocking lever spring and Brian sent me spares. It's an easy fix. The gun will stick cock and lock in place even if the spring is broken. I've never had magazine indexing issues like some reported in the past. What I like about the R5M platform is how easy it is to detail strip the gun to do basic maintenance and repairs.

I have nothing really bad to say about the Taipan Veterans. I do like the laminate stocks that the Taipans come with compared to what the R5Ms' ship with now. The walnut stocks on the EDguns are nicer than the beech stocks that come with the Taipans. I also like that Ed offers synthetic stocks for the R5M Standard and Long. I wish they would make one for the Lelya. That's another short gun I want to pick up. For the mean time, I'm enjoying my R5M Standard and I'll be waiting for the Taipan Veteran Gen 2 to come out.

20190203_094919.1615198446.jpg

20200917_122714.1615198510.jpg

I do not own a Edgun, but they look nice. To me it seems like you have to remove the stock to adjust hammer spring? I do own a taipan vet in .177. Since I like to tune, and try out differnt speeds with different pellets, I like the easy acces to the hammer spring adjuster on the taipan. I prefer to shoot normally on the bench trough the chrony, so I can see the speed, and grouping at the same time. If you have to remove the stock on the edgun, to adjust hammer spring, the tuning prosses gets a litle more cumbersome, as you can not chrony, and check for accuracy at the same time. It is probably not an issue if you like to leave the gun where it is. But if you like to change or try differnet settings often, the taipan seems to have an advantage there. But on the other hand, forward cocking, like on the edgun is also nice to have. Best option would probably be to test both, and simply see which one you like the most.