• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Taipan vs edgun

Well, a couple years ago now I bought a TV Long in .22, the original with a CZ barrel and it’s the most awesome airgun I’ve ever had. It’s built like a tank with a match grade trigger. It’s quiet, and extremely accurate, Below is a photo of a 5 shot group at 20 yards. However, my normal target ranges are from 35-100 yards. I can’t offer an opinion about parts availability because I’ve never had any problems. I just shoot it and occasionally clean it. I’ve never read of anyone having issues with a TV. I’m going to sell my .25 since the TV .22 has so much power if needed. I haven’t tried slugs. I get about 65 shots on a full charge on a moderately high setting. Would I recommend a TV? Absolutely!!! Any negatives? It’s on the heavy side and some find the position of the side lever not ideal.
65BB2F0B-BE05-4B4D-BF4F-44FE532F4055.1615001846.jpeg

Well, a couple years ago now I bought a TV Long in .22, the original with a CZ barrel and it’s the most awesome airgun I’ve ever had. It’s built like a tank with a match grade trigger. It’s quiet, and extremely accurate, Below is a photo of a 5 shot group at 20 yards. However, my normal target ranges are from 35-100 yards. I can’t offer an opinion about parts availability because I’ve never had any problems. I just shoot it and occasionally clean it. I’ve never read of anyone having issues with a TV. I’m going to sell my .25 since the TV .22 has so much power if needed. I haven’t tried slugs. I get about 65 shots on a full charge on a moderately high setting. Would I recommend a TV? Absolutely!!! Any negatives? It’s on the heavy side and some find the position of the side lever not ideal.

Your 20 yard hole is exactly what I get as well and out 40 + yards. The only thing that changes the hole is operator error and / or wind.

You’re right, the TV is way more accurate than I am. One of my favorite activities is to shoot bugs off the goldenrod which is a lasered 50 yards. I’m more successful without wind though. It won’t be long before I can get back out there and shoot. Too cold and windy now still. I’ve never had an Edgun in my hands but I’m pretty sure it’s accurate also (from what I read). 

You’re right, the TV is way more accurate than I am. One of my favorite activities is to shoot bugs off the goldenrod which is a lasered 50 yards. I’m more successful without wind though. It won’t be long before I can get back out there and shoot. Too cold and windy now still. I’ve never had an Edgun in my hands but I’m pretty sure it’s accurate also (from what I read).

We have "keepers". Hooray!

The only negative with my Taipan Mutant, is that i can find parts only at Balistas, otherwise is a perfect gun, extremly accurate with pellets and slugs even at 700 fps
As an user of Edgun R5M .25 i can say that the gun looks like a tank but its not
First the stupid EDMU, after the first battery replacment you need a lot of luck with the wires
Not a tsrget shoting trigger
Plastic rollers
Cocking lever spring broke
Not easy for adjustments
Plastic trigger at newest models
Plastic silencer, Ed said is better than alu but BAT is alu
Not easy to find parts in Europe

The only negative with my Taipan Mutant, is that i can find parts only at Balistas, otherwise is a perfect gun, extremly accurate with pellets and slugs even at 700 fps
As an user of Edgun R5M .25 i can say that the gun looks like a tank but its not
First the stupid EDMU, after the first battery replacment you need a lot of luck with the wires
Not a tsrget shoting trigger
Plastic rollers
Cocking lever spring broke
Not easy for adjustments
Plastic trigger at newest models
Plastic silencer, Ed said is better than alu but BAT is alu
Not easy to find parts in Europe

Ouch.

Someone please correct me on the following if I’m wrong...The Mutant is one generation earlier than the Veteran. I think the Mutants and early Veterans, of which I own in long, were made in the Ukrain and the newer Veterans are now made in Czechoslovakia. Taipan went through a period of time where they were extremely hard to find here in the USA, but I think the CZ Veterans, and probably parts, are now easier to get. It’s my understanding that there are at least 3 distributors/repair facilities in the USA. Re .22 barrels... the early Veterans started out with the terrific CZ barrels but the source dried up and the Ukrainians had to switch to LW barrels which continued during the early days of Czechoslovakian production. The Veterans produced now, are back to the CZ barrels. I do not know much about the .25 barrels but have a friend that has both calibers, and he says his .22 is the more accurate. His .25 has a LW barrel but I’m unsure what they’re using in that caliber today. Again, someone please jump in and correct me if any of this is wrong information. 

I went back and forth on this. Any given thread can vary. In the end, I picked up a used R5M with BAT and couldn't be happier. Until my Leshiy 2 showed up, the R5M seemed to always be the gun I reached for, and it will probably go back to that status eventually. It's a rockin' powerhouse, with more accuracy than I can use outside of a bench, and it has never let me down. It's probably my second most-used gun (most is a Condor, just because I had it first and shot the snot out of it before purchasing my next PCP). I have too many PCPs, but I haven't run across an EdGun that I'm willing to part with...

GsT

I had it narrowed down to Vet Long or R5M Long, both in .22 when I was trying to make this decision sometime last year. 

I ultimately went with the Vet Long and here's why. 

Accuracy, reliability, build quality, robustness, maintaining point of impact, shot count, air tube volume, hammer tension adjustability, ergonomics, and reputation all seemed pretty comparable between the two. 

The laminate stocked Edguns are more aesthetically appealing to me than the laminate Vets and especially more than the wood stocked Vets. 

The forward cocking of the Edgun got it a few points too. 

The ability to remove the back end of the breech and clean from the rear got the Edgun some points too. 

But I ultimately bought the Vet Long and dont regret it.

Why? Everything I read said the Edguns triggers can't be adjusted as lightly as the Vets, nor have as good of an overall feel. I have comes to prefer triggers in the 5 or 6 ounce range and I knew the Vet could do that from my Shorty. The points gained by the Edguns forward cocking were lost when I was told they're kinda stiff and rough cocking, especially compared to the smooth cocking of the Vet. Really just those two things were the deciding factors for me. 

Gotta admit that I still have a little interest in a R5M Long yellow and black laminate though.

Someone please correct me on the following if I’m wrong (...) are now made in Czechoslovakia

Czechoslovakia has not existed as a country since 1993, the Taipan Veterans are made in Czech Republic. 😁

I like the build quality of the Taipan better than the Edgun (I really don't like the "ballistic polymer" plastic that's all over the newer Edguns), but overall I enjoy my Matador more. Both Ed, Brian and various other content creators on Youtube has done a formidable job at making videos of showing how to fix almost anything on the gun. I broke some charging handle springs on mine, Ed personally replied to my email and had some springs shipped out.

Anyone ever got a reply from Taipan regarding questions/inquiries about their guns? I have not.

Someone please correct me on the following if I’m wrong (...) are now made in Czechoslovakia

Czechoslovakia has not existed as a country since 1993, the Taipan Veterans are made in Czech Republic. 
1f601.svg

I like the build quality of the Taipan better than the Edgun (I really don't like the "ballistic polymer" plastic that's all over the newer Edguns), but overall I enjoy my Matador more. Both Ed, Brian and various other content creators on Youtube has done a formidable job at making videos of showing how to fix almost anything on the gun. I broke some charging handle springs on mine, Ed personally replied to my email and had some springs shipped out.

Anyone ever got a reply from Taipan regarding questions/inquiries about their guns? I have not.

Taipans don't seem to "break". 

Who sells Taipan Veterans here in USA? My research shows Utah Airguns, Georgia Airguns, and Talon Tunes. Anybody got experience buying from anything of them? I am looking for a place with great buying experience and excellent after the sale support if things go wrong. It appears Utah Airguns and Georgia Airguns have pretty good reviews but most Taipan buyers seems to get their gun from Talon Tunes. However, Talon Tunes seems to have some really bad reviews like shipping out damaged items or not shipping anything out at all. I am leaning towards Utah Airgun at the moment as it's closer to me since I live in the west coast. What are your thoughts and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Who sells Taipan Veterans here in USA? My research shows Utah Airguns, Georgia Airguns, and Talon Tunes. Anybody got experience buying from anything of them? I am looking for a place with great buying experience and excellent after the sale support if things go wrong. It appears Utah Airguns and Georgia Airguns have pretty good reviews but most Taipan buyers seems to get their gun from Talon Tunes. However, Talon Tunes seems to have some really bad reviews like shipping out damaged items or not shipping anything out at all. I am leaning towards Utah Airgun at the moment as it's closer to me since I live in the west coast. What are your thoughts and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have ordered from Talon Tunes (online only) multiple times and never experienced a problem. When people have a bad experience they usually want to make sure the whole world hears about it, but there are quite a few satisfied TT customers as well. I'd order from TT again, but I've heard nothing but good about Utah Airguns so I wouldn't hesitate to order from them either. (I haven't heard anything one way or another about Georgia Airguns - so, not knocking them, just don't know.)

GsT