Taipan vs edgun

I’ve owned an EDGun R5M and I currently have a Taipan Mutant in .22, and maintenance is simple. Very much like a Cricket or Vulcan. Accuracy is as good or better than the EDGun, and the trigger is much better. Why spend an extra $500 for forward cocking, unless you can’t live with the rear lever cocking in the Taipan? 

Reggie , the Tiapan Mutant is a great lil rifle and I KNOW before I even finish typing this guys will say different....But mine was one of those PCP rifles that shot really good ...But never Great . 

I wasn't expecting benchrest type accurate or anything. But it was just one of those guns that every few shots would throw a flyer ...Not by a large amount ..Maybe a half inch at 35 yards ...But it did it all the time .

I had a buddy look it over with fresh eyes in case I was missing something obvious. But it was just one of those " Almost a Badass " type guns .

Guy who bought it has never complained, but he knew why I gave up on it so I priced it accordingly . 

I would buy another Edgun without looking back . A mutant I would have to shoot the Exact gun I was considering before hand no doubt .

It's no secret I'm buddies with Brian from Edgunwest. But that has absolutely Nothing to do with it . 

It's the same reason I gave up on my AirArms PCP . I'm not trying to knock a brand just to type online . But my money is hard to come by and I wish I would have known my Mutant purchase wouldn't work out ahead of time . 

Hope that helps a little . But there are guys here who have owned multiple examples of both rifles that can probably give better info . The Edgun is a Beer bottle , the Mutant a wine glass . Reliable cold beer hard to beat 

You buy a Edgun for lots of reasons, I'll level one here.

1549359983_18988182655c595b6f709252.10643471_IMG_20190119_133127_01.jpg

Are you considering .22 or .25? In the Taipan they have different barrels, .22 comes with CZ and .25 with LW. Don’t know on the Edgun.

Also about what Joe mentioned, every rifle is different. I’m a proud owner of a Taipan Veteran in .25 and I don’t have any complain. One plus on the Taipan is adjusting the hammer spring is super easy, specially if you buy the Donny Speed Dial. This is super handy if you decide to try slugs, for example. On the Edgun you have to remove the stock to adjust the hammer tension. Both guns will do good shooting slugs, mine do great with them.

Again, Im not saying Edgun is bad or Taipan is good. I really don’t think you will go wrong with either, I wish I had the extra $$ to afford the Edgun, so you know my comment is just based on my experience and that is the one of a Taipan Veteran owner.

I have both, they are super easy to work on, now Edguns have the forward cocking levers except for the R5s,

the trigger on the Taipan is way better that the Edgun, in the accuracy department they are both right there but i would say the Taipan is bit better, to be honest you will happy with either one, now keep in mind that the new Taipan .25cal long comes with steroids out the box, not need for a power tune up.

I’m also seriously considering a TVLong in the very near future, and I’ve heard the .22 with the CZ barrel is more accurate than the.25 with the WL barrel. Can anyone confirm this?

I know they are both good barrels, I cannot tell if one is better than other. Right now with my .25, a LW, I can shoot pellets and slugs. I don't know if that will be the same with the CZ or not, but this is enough for me to be happy with the LW.

I do hunting and having one barrel that allows me to shoot both, pellets and slugs is a big plus. The FX people have been waiting for the slugs liners for a while. It looks like they are receiving the barrels now... good, but then, if you want to shoot pellets then you need to switch the barrel or have another gun, :(

I think between the 2 one will be better than the other, because they are not the same, some difference must exists, but I think the difference will be so small that will be really hard to quantify that amount. On top of that, not every gun is the same, you can find that in one gun CZ is doing worst, but in another CZ is doing better. One example is Joe comment, he was using a Taipan Mutant, was it .22?? If so, that was a CZ, and he is reporting accuracy issues.

I’m also seriously considering a TVLong in the very near future, and I’ve heard the .22 with the CZ barrel is more accurate than the.25 with the WL barrel. Can anyone confirm this?

I own the Taipan Veteran .25 long. I have owned several Edguns. Here's my take....

Both guns, in either barrel, will well out-shoot the ability of the shooter...you will NEVER get better than the max potential of either gun! so quit considering accuracy as a deciding factor...

Both guns are at the top of the power range for their prices, and in all calibers. Choose one of either for max power...especially in their "Long" models!

The Taipan Vet. Long, in .25 caliber, with factory shroud is "hammer slap quiet". I usually refill after three to four magazines, but I'm shooting at 63 fpe. The stock is functional, but about as fancy as a fat girl in burlap at the prom. I've never had a mechanical problem. Randy and the boys at R&L stand behind their products.

The Edgun is Russian tank tough. Functional, powerful, acceptable looks, costly. He keeps coming out with new models...some new ones in the past have needed "fixes/updates"...understand that Ed's breaking new ground every year, so factory modifications/updates sometimes take place. Not to worry...Brian, at Edgunwest, takes care of Ed's customers.

So...you asked a question with two answers! It boils down to whether you want to take that extra few hundred dollars and invest it in a really nice scope???

After a couple of years since this was posted has anyone who has owned both leaned harder towards one or the other? I like @Hepotter’s response, but would like to hear from others as well since a couple years have passed. I’ve read many comments about how excellent the Taipan Veteran’s trigger is. I also read about how rugged EDguns are. What I don’t read much about is the maintenance aspect of the Taipan. Are many Taipan owners doing much of their own maintenance? If so, is the assembly and disassembly as easy as EDgun’s appear to be? Are parts for maintenance and modifications easily accessible? From the looks of things the TV long and the R5M long may be comparable. Is TV compact comparable to the EDgun Leyla 2.0? I’m trying to determine which is the better hunting rifle for small to medium sized game and varmints. I’m particularly partial to .25 caliber. 

I have the Taipan VL .25 and have had it part to adjust the regulator, it's very easy but take your time and be careful.

The cool thing is, probably both guns you are asking about, they don't need JACKpoop and all you really have to do is fill with air and lead then shoot.

Realistically there should be almost ZERO maintenance for a quite a while and then only o-rings. Power adjustment is easy, as already stated above, but truth is it's a bit silly adjusting all of the time........ find the FPS accuracy for the pellet you want to shoot, tighten the grub screw then throw away the allen key. DONE.

Experience with both in .22

The Taipan cz barrel (NOT the lw barrel) is a little bit better with pellets and slugs up to 25grn.

The trigger is very good for bullpub type of gun.

The power is adjustable without taking the gun apart, handy with changing from slugs to pellets vice versa.

The Taipan came with a single shot adapter.

Above the reasons why I own a Taipan.

Regards, Robert.

Experience with both in .22

The Taipan cz barrel (NOT the lw barrel) is a little bit better with pellets and slugs up to 25grn.

The trigger is very good for bullpub type of gun.

The power is adjustable without taking the gun apart, handy with changing from slugs to pellets vice versa.

The Taipan came with a single shot adapter.

Above the reasons why I own a Taipan.

Regards, Robert.

The gun is made of METAL!!! Solid machined magazine and single shot tray. Trigger is AWESOME!

@veerkracht and @JohnnyPDX Thanks guys. The input you both provided is helpful. I’ve read that .22 caliber is the favored choice of several members over the .25. .22 is a pellet/slug caliber I have yet to explore. I’ve been eyeing these makes for a while. Tough decision, but I’m in no rush. I’m curious about the Taipan Vet compact. I haven’t seen much about it. Seen plenty regarding the Leyla 2.0. 

Would you guys say that the Taipan is a durable gun that should be able to take some bumps and scrapes? Not expecting anything I use for hunting or the truck to remain pretty over the years, I just need it to remain functionally accurate and relatively easy to maintain and repair.I’d also like easy access to parts here in the States. Another thing I was wondering, how is the weight distribution when shouldering a Taipan Vet? Is it pretty balanced after you mount a scope?

@veerkracht and @JohnnyPDX Thanks guys. The input you both provided is helpful. I’ve read that .22 caliber is the favored choice of several members over the .25. .22 is a pellet/slug caliber I have yet to explore. I’ve been eyeing these makes for a while. Tough decision, but I’m in no rush. I’m curious about the Taipan Vet compact. I haven’t seen much about it. Seen plenty regarding the Leyla 2.0. 

Would you guys say that the Taipan is a durable gun that should be able to take some bumps and scrapes? Not expecting anything I use for hunting or the truck to remain pretty over the years, I just need it to remain functionally accurate and relatively easy to maintain and repair.I’d also like easy access to parts here in the States. Another thing I was wondering, how is the weight distribution when shouldering a Taipan Vet? Is it pretty balanced after you mount a scope?

.22 vs. .25 discussion goes on infinitely and you can always re-barrel a Taipan. The Taipan barrel is stout but I am definitely not a barrel banging in the truck kinda guy and I do shoot the TVL from my truck FREQUENTLY. One cool thing is the quiet and the fatc that the shroud can be reversed, adding more baffles, to make it even more hushhush.

As far as balance IDK... I just pick it up and shoot it and can't wait to do it again. I shoot it bench a LOT and it always has a bi-pod when hunting.

As benching: it is a bullpub, it will do just fine if you praktice, but it build to be a truck gun.

I do shoot 100 meter competition and with very good results.

Both are build very well, solid guns.

Due to that: they are both heavy.

air consumption is neck to neck.

The ed mechanism is a little bit louder than the Taipan with cocking and shooting.

Both moderators are fine, if you really want you can buy the bat for the ed or do some modding on the taipan,

but factory they work just fine.

As for balance, they both worked for me, took some time getting used to the weight though.

Regards, Robert.

@JohnnyPDX The option to change barrels on a rifle for different calibers is nice to have. I can’t see me frequently changing barrels, but it seems convenient to have the option as opposed to having to choose between making two separate expense purchases in order to shoot varying calibers. 

@veerkracht I don’t see me doing much bench shooting unless preparing to hunt from a blind. That’s something I’m likely to do with .357 or higher calibers. At best I’ll brace myself against a tree, fence post, shoot off the hood or truck bed with a bipod, or take a kneeling shot. Occasionally I’ll take a freestanding offhand shot or shoot out of the window from the cab. It depends upon opportunity and circumstances.

Thanks again guys. I have some thinking to do.