• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Taipan veteran velocity vs group testing

What would be a major concern is if you could push a pellet in the muzzle of a Taipan. Like Franklink eluded to, this is a pellet gun. MtnGhost touched on something we all overlooked. I can shoot better than your slug groups at 12yrds with my CO2 pistol. A good scrubbing is in order. You don’t have a defective choke, you have a pellet gun. I’ll bet your gun shoots what it’s supposed to shoot fantastic.

I agree with Motorhead. Slugs are for longer ranges. Such a short distance tells you virtually nothing. At least 50 yards for short range testing!

For what it is worth, I have learned that the CZ barrels like speed and groups fall apart at lower velocities. 

Knife

.25 Veterans are Lothar Walther barrels.

Now That's a Shame!

Knife

I agree with Motorhead. Slugs are for longer ranges. Such a short distance tells you virtually nothing. At least 50 yards for short range testing!

For what it is worth, I have learned that the CZ barrels like speed and groups fall apart at lower velocities. 

Knife

Not all of them. I have 2 25 cal vets , both CZ

Now That's a Relief! 

Knife

Hi I would like to add my thoughts on thread ,

First and foremost , slugs better for longer range , due to the fact they fly better then a pellet (Higher BC) , also Most slugs tend to be exact weight and diameter and weigh exact weights ,I do make sure I do sort all of my ammo for this reason , Plus slugs and get a bent skirt like a pellet to have it fly differently then ones which are straight , SO you doing good with your testing , just shoot 75 and 100 yds or more to get a real accuracy of your tune ,

1 shooting 12 yards with slugs serves no point , I have a few taipan veterans and can group better at 100 yds then your 12 yard groups , In My 25 veteran , I had a LW stock and I did upgrade it to a unchoked slug barrel , Mine shoots a few slugs sub moa here is my best preforming 25 caliber veteran slugs , 

1. NSA 36.2 gr

2, MP 48 gr

3, 40gr BT

Mine likes 920fps to 1010 fps

.OK barrels , I own 3 genuine cz barrels in 22 cal only , I never saw a CZ.25 cal barrel , I have seen many taipans with engraved CZ with LW barrels among other brands , I believe in USA many guns from dealers , were bought with out barrels and they were fitted by USA dealers in past , SOME dealers fibbed and SAID OURS are CZ barrels when they were not at all , 

I am sure Taipan if you dig around forums you will see this was true since the mutant , but moving forward they may have changed practices ,

The Taipan is a great gun for pellets or slugs , but for a good slug gun you need to add a bigger plenum , and or modify your valve manifold , and spring settings , and reg pressures to get them hevier slugs to go 925 to 1000fps ,

LOU

The Uragan's for instance have CZ Barrels in the .22-.25, and .30 cal's. So they do exist. Not only do they exist, but the Uragan I recd. came with a fully lapped and polsihed bore with a beautiful crown. Just superb!

knifemaker

Knife

Now That's a Relief! 

Knife

The Uragan's for instance have CZ Barrels in the .22-.25, and .30 cal's. So they do exist. Not only do they exist, but the Uragan I recd. came with a fully lapped and polished bore with a beautiful crown. Just superb!

Hi I would like to add my thoughts on thread ,

First and foremost , slugs better for longer range , due to the fact they fly better then a pellet (Higher BC) , also Most slugs tend to be exact weight and diameter and weigh exact weights ,I do make sure I do sort all of my ammo for this reason , Plus slugs and get a bent skirt like a pellet to have it fly differently then ones which are straight , SO you doing good with your testing , just shoot 75 and 100 yds or more to get a real accuracy of your tune ,

1 shooting 12 yards with slugs serves no point , I have a few taipan veterans and can group better at 100 yds then your 12 yard groups , In My 25 veteran , I had a LW stock and I did upgrade it to a unchoked slug barrel , Mine shoots a few slugs sub moa here is my best preforming 25 caliber veteran slugs , 

1. NSA 36.2 gr

2, MP 48 gr

3, 40gr BT

Mine likes 920fps to 1010 fps

.OK barrels , I own 3 genuine cz barrels in 22 cal only , I never saw a CZ.25 cal barrel , I have seen many taipans with engraved CZ with LW barrels among other brands , I believe in USA many guns from dealers , were bought with out barrels and they were fitted by USA dealers in past , SOME dealers fibbed and SAID OURS are CZ barrels when they were not at all , 

I am sure Taipan if you dig around forums you will see this was true since the mutant , but moving forward they may have changed practices ,

The Taipan is a great gun for pellets or slugs , but for a good slug gun you need to add a bigger plenum , and or modify your valve manifold , and spring settings , and reg pressures to get them hevier slugs to go 925 to 1000fps ,

LOU

Knife

Now That's a Relief! 

Knife

The Uragan's for instance have CZ Barrels in the .22-.25, and .30 cal's. , So they do exist. Not only do they exist, but the Uragan I recd. came with a fully lapped and polished bore with a beautiful crown. Just superb! ;<) My .25 uses slugs sized to .2516, and the 47.2 gr slugs are over 100 foot lbs. and dead accurate from the choked CZ. Barrel. It is the only choked bbl. that I have tested that can give well under 1 moa with slug's all day, every day. the Uragan for me is truly a dream gun. Unreal! Knife

Knife

Now That's a Shame!

Knife

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I apologize for taking so long to get back here, as I have been dealing will a double load of college courses and car issues that have commandeered my time. 

I fortunately have one 300pcs tin of the 33.95 JSB, so I will be able to sight in and have some for pesting duties, which is the Taipan's purpose.

I do plan on shooting this a long range at 100+ yards on groundhog and would like the added benefits of slugs, and will look into barrel, plenum, and other parts needed to make into a long-range beast. Unfortunately, my car repairs are going to be around 1600 or more, which will put this project on hold.