Taipan Veteran Std vs. Snowpeak P35

I would like to add that you definitely don’t need a Taipan for shooting little animals inside 50 yards. If you want a Taipan, then you buy one. It’s all about how much picking off stuff is worth. I’ll safely bet that there are more guys having fun with cheap guns than guys having fun with expensive ones. It seems like once you get accustomed to dropping big coin on airguns, you’re never happy. Always chasing something new.

I just came here to watch everyone poopoo on this thread, again. Almost 4 months old. I wonder what the OP decided on and if he's happy with his decision.

In all seriousness, if you haven't already and you decide to pick up the Taipan Veteran, you'll at least know what you're getting. With the P35, I think it's a gamble. If you're the type of person that likes to tinker and make something of lesser quality "better", them by all means, go for the P35.

Yeah the P35 is a gamble and I lost it should be called the POS-35. With a 30 moa mount and a scope with 40 mil of elevation it still shoots 7 inches low at 20 yards. The barrel is so bad it has trashed the baffles and yes they were lined up. It will still clip with a 30 cal moderator on it with an empty shroud. If Krale won't come through with a replacement barrel it will be for sale for a parts gun.

My experience is very good with my 3 P35s. I bought the first, a 25, in October of last year. It is accurate enough and powerful enough for any small game. I am shooting H&N FTTs at 875 fps and the pellet exited on 15 of the 18 squirrels it has taken for me so far. I liked it so much I bought a 22 and a 177 in late May getting them in mid-June. They are both more accurate than the 25 and the 22 is the most accurate gun I have ever shot, PB or air. So far I have two 3 shot 25 yard groups that are the size of a single pellet hole with it. I know 25 yards is not very far but still my other guns won't do that. The P35-25 is about a 1/4 inch gun at that distance and the P35-177 does maybe 1/8 inch groups when I do my part at that distance. I'm not a great shot so many groups are a little bigger but I have to really mess up to get them over 1/4 at 25. Most 33 yard groups are under 1/4.

I also have an Avenger, the original long rifle, not the bullpup. While the price of the P35 and the Avenger bullpup are similar I don't think the construction is. My P35 has a plastic stock and a couple other plastic pieces but it is almost all metal. My Avenger has a lot more plastic parts in it. The shroud, for instance, is secured on my Avenger with a grub screw at the rear into a plastic end piece. The P35 shroud screws onto a metal end piece. Front cap of the Avenger is plastic and it's metal on the P35. Avenger shroud is empty and it sound like it's empty. P35 has 7 or 8 baffles and is quite quiet if you substitute some cheap hair rollers and plastic felt for most of them.

All of my P35s have a 1 inch extension to the stock to get the length of pull where I want it. All have sling connections added to the stock. All have triggers adjusted to under a 1 lb pull. As received the first stage was set to close to 1 lb which is then added to the second stage so they were too high for me. With the first stage at the minimum it is pretty easy to back off on the sear engagement a little and get under 1 lb. All have hair curler mods and are 80-85db 1 yard to the side and 1 foot ahead of the muzzle. I polished the crown on the 177 and 22 and polished the entire barrel of the 25. I found a small burr in the barrel port of the 25 and gained 15 fps when I removed it. The hammer spring was poorly adjusted on the 25 and 177 and about right on the 22. In general I think the fit and finish are pretty good but there is some room for improvement. But the total cost of everything I've done to all three guns is probably less than $10. Mainly it only took a little time.

I've never shot a taipan so I'm guessing but my guess is my P35-22 shoots about like a taipan but my other two guns would be outshot by a lot of taipans, especially the 25. I'm OK with that. The P35 is lighter and a lot cheaper than the Taipan. If you get lucky you might get one in the same accuracy league but even if you don't a lot of them seem to deliver pretty respectible accuracy with a little tune up.

P35-22 first one hole 25 yard group with 1 8 group.jpg

P35 22 second one hole.jpg

P35-22 33 yard group with ruler.jpg

Last edited: