• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Taipan Veteran Std vs. Snowpeak P35

I’ve narrowed down my bullpup options to just two rifles. Main use will be for short-range pesting <50 yards.

Is the Taipan worth an extra $1000 bucks? I’m really digging the weight advantage of the P35 and forward cocking.

8206DE3A-B220-4DCB-B1BA-275F015552CD.1647876358.png

I agree with spysir, just be advised you will likely need to do some smithing to get acceptable 50 yard accuracy for small game and pests. In particular, SPA has a history of trashing the rifling at the muzzle with a piloted crowning tool. It’s usually easy to spot with a visual in which case you’ll need to either chop and crown or send it back and hope the replacement is better. The two I own had the damage despite being purchased years apart, and I have seen several from other airgunners.

I thought the same thing with my P15 too. I ended up spending almost an additional $1K on it and countless hours working on this and that, and then months waiting for parts from "Julie" in China. I learned a boatload and the gun is pretty good now, but I wouldn't do it again. The Taipan is a really good deal just as it is, and you just spend your time shooting. Unless you really want to learn and you love to tinker more than shoot, save up for the Taipan. You can always sell your Taipan and get 75-80% of your money back and then buy the P35 if you have buyers remorse, -but you won't. All extra money and time on the P35 is unrecoverable and only of value to you. JMHO

P35 Seems to be getting great reviews and is extremely popular in the UK, Seem to have gotten over their barrel problems, I follow UK and European Groups on the P35 and most are really happy with the gun and its accuracy...Check out Artemis Owners Group UK...Yes you can spend a lot of time trying to make it a Taipan, but you could probably buy 3 P35's one in each caliber for one Veteran... Love the Veteran but also love tinkering :)

I’ve seen this type of choice/question before on the forums and I would like to understand the thought process that narrows a choice down to two guns with a $1000 price difference There is no question which is the better gun Comparing a Flashpup to the Avenger bull pup is a reasonable comparison to discuss. Comparing a FX to a Benjamin Maximus is is about the same as the question posted.

I appreciate all the feedback from fellow AGN members. My intent here was not to compare the two guns as equals but rather to look at two options on both ends of the price spectrum for a specific purpose. Obviously the P35 is going to have shortcomings with fit, finish, function, precision, quality control, etc. compared to more expensive guns. Some things we are willing to compromise on and some we are not. There will be personal preferences for each shooter, but getting feedback from others with first-hand experience on a particular topic can help guide them toward a final decision. Part of the reason I enjoy the AGN forum is being able to tap into the experience and knowledge of fellow members. Likewise, I enjoy being able to share my knowledge when there is an opportunity to help.

I'd say if you like tinkering and you know what to expect with the p35 go for it. If you can live with its short comings compared to the much more expensive Taipan I don't see any issues with it. I'm sure the p35 will have no problem pesting inside 50yards. And you'll have a money left over for all the goodies that go along with ( scope, night vision set up, bipod and on and on and on!!! ) If you get the P35 and end up not liking so much I bet you won't have any issues selling here on the classifieds and move up to something better.

If you could SHOOT them side by side you'd probably know immediately that the $1,000 dif is justified. There's a reason you don't see hundreds of posts from happy P35 owners vs the overwhelmingly happy & positive posts about Taipans. It's hard to imagine $1,000 more being justified without having experienced them both but you'd be smart to take this feedback into consideration. Good luck!

If you could SHOOT them side by side you'd probably know immediately that the $1,000 dif is justified. There's a reason you don't see hundreds of posts from happy P35 owners vs the overwhelmingly happy & positive posts about Taipans. It's hard to imagine $1,000 more being justified without having experienced them both but you'd be smart to take this feedback into consideration. Good luck!

The trigger mechanism alone probably covers 1/3 of that, then the CZ barrel in .22... i mean that justifies it enough for me right there.

Reactions: maxtrouble
There is just a bunch of other factors and variables that did not make it to the table of comparisons,...much more to ad on for sure.

There is a huge reason with the Grand difference.

.......and this come from someone that does not own guns over 600-700 bucks and also thinks that the contributions in guns, pumps, compressor coming from China is uge in today's airgun world.

I've been watching the P35s on Krale for a few months. They went from out of stock to in-stock and what is really cool is that with the strong US Dollar the price has declined from like $460 to $417. I may not be able to resist if the price gets to $399!! These are more comparable to the Avenger Bullpup than the Vet. I had a Vet and it was an impressive heirloom quality weapon.

I've been watching the P35s on Krale for a few months. They went from out of stock to in-stock and what is really cool is that with the strong US Dollar the price has declined from like $460 to $417. I may not be able to resist if the price gets to $399!! These are more comparable to the Avenger Bullpup than the Vet. I had a Vet and it was an impressive heirloom quality weapon.

Your question is a good one and I think you've gotten some good food for thought in the responses you've received. I will just add this. I avoided buying a Veteran for a long time. I didn't like the looks, the weight, or the rear cocking lever, and the "built like a tank" descriptions didn't appeal to me. After buying, selling and swapping several air rifles, I finally ended up with a used .22 Vet compact. After a little tweaking of the hammer spring (and I'm not good at tweaking), the rifle settled in and shoots like a dream--accurate, quiet, and buttery smooth. This and my Daystate Revere are the last pcps I'll ever get rid of. I wouldn't consider trading the Veteran for an entry level rifle + $1000.

I absolutely agree that you can’t compare the two. I don’t think you will ever see someone saying they can‘t decide between a Chevy Trax or a Maserati Levante. Either you want a high end gun or you don’t. Warning!! The Taipan is a very boring gun. Mine has been doing exactly what it’s supposed to do for over 5 years. I have a $1,400 SPA P15. It will shoot right with my Taipan but I don’t shoot it as often because I don’t trust its component. At least the ones that I haven’t made.