• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Taipan Veteran standard vs long

I think I want a veteran for my next airgun. I have an FX Streamline in .25 right now and while I like it, it’s too long with a suppressor (~50”) for much of the type of use it sees - shooting out of windows, trudging thru dense brush, etc. I love the fact that I can switch between medium and high power so easily. I have it on medium in the suburban backyard flinging 25 grainers at 695 FPS, and 938fps for the farm and woods. Just turn the dial and 16 clicks on the elevation turret.

It’s for hunting primarily, so I’m thinking .25 caliber. At what distance would I wish for a long rather than standard? I’m hoping I can find some slugs it likes too. Any thoughts?

I have several long air rifles also. When I decided to get a Taipan I originally thought I wanted a long. But none were available and I am glad there were none available then. I bought a 22 Standard for my use I wanted it a little quieter so I added the shortest Hugget Atom moderator it only adds 2.5" and it is very quiet. I only have 80 yards here at the house. At my ranges the standard is perfect. I am very glad I didn't get a long. Also the 18 grain 22 hits hard. Again for my set up a 25 would be overkill. Thats my 2 cents. 

Caliber choice is a personal preference, but IMO, the difference in power isn't worth the extra noise and air consumption of the the .25. I have a .22 Standard, and I find it totally adequate at 50 yards, which is kind of my skill limit anyway. Regarding slugs, I'm not sure you will have a lot of success with them in that rifle. I have no interest in them so I haven't tried them, but most reports I have read were not very encouraging. It is a pellet barrel, but that's not to say you won't find a slug that shoots okay in it. 

I’m actually kind of still debating .22 vs .25. This recent streamline purchase has me amazed at the thwack of .25. Everything seems to just die and I love the bigger margin for error. I don’t shoot tons of pellets so cost of ammo not much of an issue and ditto for wasting air. Noise is a bit of a factor but my .25 streamline on medium power with a supressor is quiet enough for me in the backyard. 

The one thing that had me considering .22 was the video Matt Dubber did about .22 slugs actually having a better BC than .25 slugs if I remember correctly. I wouldn’t mind having the ability to reach out accurately, though realistically I will rarely try to kill things past 70-80 meters. As for the long, even that will be only around a yardstick in length WITH a supressor - much better than my 50” rifle! Physical Length is the only thing holding me back from deciding on the long. Wish I could try it out in the woods to really know. 

I like to use a point of reference from time in the Marine Corps, as a guide-

M16- OAL- 39.625”

Taipan Veteran Long (TVL)- OAL- 33”; no moderator installed

M4- OAL- 35.5”

Taipan Veteran Standard (TVS)- OAL- 28”; no moderator installed

Donny FL Sumo- OAL- 6.25”

With the moderator added the TVL is about as long as an M16, and the TVS is about as long as an M4. If noise is no issue the TVL with no moderator should be just right, in the field.

20210718_104001.1626619438.jpg

My .22 streamline vs my .25 taipan standard. I was convinced that I needed a 25 taipan and it's an amazing gun but I still shoot my streamline more. 

The power difference between the two standard n long don't worth the extra weight..I purchase both long and sold them is less than 6 months...I know that if I started with the standards I would have kept them...what I have now are standard crickets 177 .22 .25 n those are not going anywhere...I don't see my self shooting long rifles anymore...only my HP bullet shooters...but for pellets, no long pcps for me..

I have a long .25 and a standard .25. For the way you said you would be using it the standard would be best. I use my standard for walking in thick timber shooting 25.4 JSB's at 957 F.P.S average. When shooting free hand the difference is very noticeable between the long and standard. I have the long shooting 34's at 920 F.P.S. and use it for stationary hunting for Ground Hogs, Raccoons and Skunks, 

Don’t base your decision on your dream of shooting slugs. There is a better chance than not that you’ll be let down. Chose the Taipan you want based on the pellet weight you want to shoot and the shot count you want. If the gun winds up liking a slug take it as a blessing. Remember these are sold as pellet guns. If sound and length are a concern then the .22 has an advantage. My .22 standard is turned up for slugs and will shoot a 18gr pellet 985fps. No silencer is needed. I see a bunch of Taipans with cans hanging on the ends of them and wonder if the owners are misinterpreting the racket a bullpup makes right in your ear for actual muzzle report. The .25’s are naturally louder so I understand that they may need extra help to keep them quiet.

My .22 streamline vs my .25 taipan standard. I was convinced that I needed a 25 taipan and it's an amazing gun but I still shoot my streamline more.

Nice. I’m interested to hear why that is. Does your style of use or caliber difference have anything to do with that? I feel like all of the things I don’t like about my streamline will be fixed with a bull pup. The difficulty of transport (which I do every day) with a long heavy riflecase, the unbalancedness that makes it difficult to quickly adjust parallax at night while operating a flashlight and holding the gun with one hand, the having the barrel stick a mile out my window when I snipe something from inside, and who knows what else I’m not thinking of. 

Nice. I’m interested to hear why that is. Does your style of use or caliber difference have anything to do with that? I feel like all of the things I don’t like about my streamline will be fixed with a bull pup. The difficulty of transport (which I do every day) with a long heavy riflecase, the unbalancedness that makes it difficult to quickly adjust parallax at night while operating a flashlight and holding the gun with one hand, the having the barrel stick a mile out my window when I snipe something from inside, and who knows what else I’m not thinking of. 

90% of my shooting is iguana head shots out of my kitchen window so the length does not matter too much for me. I really do like the taipan but I love my streamline. I think some of that preference is because a .25 is a little bit too much power for my yard. 

As far as the taipan I think the standard is a happy medium. It has the same stock as the long so you have plenty of room for a picitinny rail and bipod and as you can see in the picture the whole gun is about as long as just the streamline stock. My buddy also has a standard 25 with a moderator on it and I don't think its necessary it makes about the same amount of noise as mine and most of the noise comes from the hammer. It's a great platform and from what you're saying I think it will be a good fit for you.

I've owned the .22 long, standard, and shorty as well as the .25 and .177 shorty's. If your plan is to shoot the .22 caliber .25 grain Monster Redesigns at speeds approaching 900 fps, you need the .22 long's longer barrel. It is also your best bet for shooting slugs at a fast enough velocity to get them spinning fast enough to be stable. Both the standard and shory will shoot the lighter pellets at any speed you'll likely want. If you plan on packing the gun or shooting out of a window most of the time, then get a shorty. If you won't be packing it around too much, the extra shot count of the standard is nice. The long is preferable if you are going to shoot mostly from a bench. 

I found the .22 caliber did everything I wanted with less air consumption than the .25 cal shorty. I shoot a lot so the pellet cost was a factor. The only gun I still own is the .22 long because it does EVERYTHING but sacrifices compactness. To reiterate, your choice between a long and a standard or compact should probably be if you plan on shooting heavy projectiles like the Monster redesigns and slugs or not.

The trick with the shorts is .. not to over power them because the short gun without weight tends to jump up in your accuracy goes away.. I used to have a .22 cricket short..at that moment I sold it because of the over power could not keep me on target..shouldn't have sold that one...but thankfully I have found factory parts .. to a assemble a .22 short will setup for 16g pellets..I still have the 177 compact I really enjoy that one..

I have a .22 long and a .25 compact. I feel the long will have more length than you are looking for. As for caliber, it really depends on what you are hunting. The two Taipans that I have are basically the same FPE. I can shoot 25.4 grain in both and you can definitely tell that the .25 is dumping more energy on the target. It sounds different when it hits the back stop and my swinging targets definitely move more when the .25 pellet hits it. I will eventually buy a standard to have all three sizes and the decision for me is to go with a .25 for power or a .177 for high shot count and cheaper plinking ammo. Whatever you decide the Taipan is a great choice no matter what size you go with.

I have the Veteran Long .25 and it's quite quiet with factory shroud internals at OAL 32"

For comparison... my BSA R10.22 is 44"

That's a HUGE 12" difference and the Taipan Long is still short enough to plink from my car when it's raining.

Go with the long in .25!!!

Gotta agree here. Yes it is called the "Long" but it's not very long, only long in relation to the Standard and Short. 

I can maneuver and shoot my Long from within my shooting blind much easier than any other traditional sporter I've tried.