• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Taipan Veteran standard or long??

Just took this photo, not a great comparison b/c the Short and the Long have been messed with....but might give you an idea....
View attachment 314975
Top is of course the Long. It has a 23" barrel on it, and a plenum addition, making both the barrel and tube about 2 inches longer than OEM.
Middle is the Standard, bone stock, other than the buttpad/hook.
Bottom is the Short. It has a 16" barrel on it, and a plenum addition, making the barrel about 2.25" inches longer than OEM, and the tube roughly 2 inches longer.

If not including the buttpad, the OAL of the Long (with noted changes) is about 34 inches long, Standard is about 28," and the Short (with noted changes) is 25.75."

OEM lengths:
Long=31.5"
Standard = 27.9"
Short = 23.6"

The Short, with the 16" barrel is my favorite, which would make it almost the length of a Standard. So, like I said earlier today, the Standard is sorta the Goldilocks.

I should add, since it's not abundantly clear here, that the rear-cocking is an absolute deal-breaker for me. Luckily I do yoga 4 times a day, it helps me stay limber enough to arrive at the physical contortions that it takes to simply reach over the top with my left hand and cock the gun. :D
very nice guns👍👍

To start with, I've never held or shot a standard so I can't give a good comparison. I will say that my .22 Long is significantly easier to shoot accurately offhand than any other gun I've experienced. I routinely shoot sparrows at 20+ meters off hand...

You should ask yourself the question..."what is my purpose for this gun?" If it's shooting pellets around 25-35 fpe and/or a lot of still hunting and stalking that you plan to do I'd think the Standard would be the way to go.

I'm currently shooting Hades with a great shot count in my Long but I honestly wish I had a Standard for a little more compact of gun. However, I am planning to transform it into a slugger in the near future and push it into the 50-60 fpe range and so I'm glad I have the Long.

If you plan to push slugs through it at >35 fpe or use it primarily as a sniper weapon I would probably go with the Long.

Reactions: sstaton
I’ve owned and sold two .22 longs. They were great bench guns but not very user friendly to hunt with. I now own a .22 standard and it’s awesome. Built like a tank, smooth cocking even though it’s at the rear and the trigger is sublime. Mine is currently pushing 18s at 915. I’ve not had the pleasure of shooting a shorty but it was a toss up between the std and compact and my reasoning led me to the std which I am completely happy with.

Reactions: sstaton
The one thing I really like about the Long (and the Veterans in general) is just how efficient it is. I tuned my .22 Long to 31 FPE with the regulator set at 90 bars. From a full 250 bar fill, it gets 100 shots on the reg. However, as this is a standby backyard varmint rifle, I never needed that many shots. As such, I usually leave the rifle between 130 and 100 bars and still get 18 shots in that 30 bar fill range. As I am manually pumping the gun, the low fill pressures is really good. With my shooting habits, I only pump the gun once every few weeks, or sometimes even months, in between.

20240428_190315.jpg

Last edited:
Threads a year and a half old... but I'll pipe in for anyone looking for one on the used market.

I had a 25 Cal. Vulcan 2, but got sucked into a Taipan Veteran from all of the hype. It was a mistake, I'm not a collector, so the Vulcan - even though it had beautiful wood, better ergos and front cocking went down the road. And the fugly 25 Cal. Veteran Long stayed. It was more consistent, had a little more power and I absolutely loved the 'no double feed' feature - particularly when hunting.

Got the Long only because it had more power... but it was a bit heavy IMO to carry hunting and pretty much useless in my little Toyota pickup. Utah Airguns was closing out the Veterans, so after much mental masturbation over whether to get the Standard or the Compact, I picked up a 25 Cal. Compact. Don't think I'll ever sell it... Light enough to carry hunting, short enough to maneuver to either window in my little Toyota, and powerful enough to whack ground squirrels out to 50+ yards. Negatives; lost a little power, the L.O.P. is a little short (but is okay - I'm 5-11).

Neither Taipan ever had an issue. If I'd started with the Taipan Standard first, I believe I'd never felt the need for the Compact.

Jerry