Taipan Veteran standard or long??

I’ve had both, if you are going to be walking around with it. Definitely go with the standard. Even though the Vet Long isn’t that “Long”. It is not a great field carry. The standard will still give plenty of shots and power. Just my 2 cents. I’d only get the long again if I needed more than 35fpe. (In .22)

I hope I get to make that choice someday. definitely would be the long for me.
edit: just looked up the specs on talon tunes. The long is listed as 65 Fpe and 31.75 in. in length. The standard is 55 Fpe and 28 in. in length. Both saying right at 7.7 lbs. Personally I don't mind a little extra length for the extra 10 Fpe. Just my 2ç

Last edited:
I purchased the Standard laminate in .25. Perfect woods walker with sling and lower picatinny / mloc. Thirty inches long, thirty shots per fill and 60 fpe with the 34 gr JSB KO slugs. Very quiet, easy to shoulder and aim quickly. Built like a tank and left hand friendly.

Charles at https://georgiaairguns.net/ will take very good care of you if you are looking for dealer recommendations. I highly recommend him. Mine has been bullet proof for the last three years, no leaks and always accurate.

Reactions: sstaton
Standard and Long have exact same stocks, identical LOP, etc.

The only difference is tube and barrel length.

It's really interesting how much just a couple inches of difference can drastically change how a gun "feels," all else being the same. The Long, while shorter than a traditional Sporter, feels really long after shooting a Short or Standard. The Short, feels really short after shooting a Long.

The Standard is sort of the goldilocks of the three, not too long, not too short. It has an 18 inch barrel, so as was already pointed out, 35-40fpe is the most you'll get out of a .22, whereas up to 45ish fpe is possible from the longer barreled Long. The Standard air tube volume is closer to the Longs than it is the Short. I worked out percentages at one point but can only remember right now that the Standard air tube volume is closer to the Long than the Short.

If compactness is a high priority, consider the Short, but understand it's only about a 32-34fpe gun, in .22 anyway.

(More power is possible with HEAVY hammer springs, my comments were about what to expect in OEM form).

Can’t speak to the long as I only have the Standard in .25, although I have went back and forth on getting a .22 in the long version. Like others have said, the Standard is a good carry gun but still gets heavy for me. For that reason I now have it set up as my dedicated “Night Stalker” with an ATN set on top. Its great for night hunting muskrat, coon and pesky otters feasting on my bass population. It has been a very trouble free rifle easily pushing 54 fpe for almost 4 mags. I think the Taipan line would really benefit from a carbon fiber stock. It would shave of at least a pound (maybe more) but obviously would up the price and without forward cocking I don’t think folks would shell out another $200-$300. If you’re going to solely bench shoot, definitely go with the Long but if it’s a carry situation I’d go with the Standard. JMO

I purchased the Standard laminate in .25. Perfect woods walker with sling and lower picatinny / mloc. Thirty inches long, thirty shots per fill and 60 fpe with the 34 gr JSB KO slugs. Very quiet, easy to shoulder and aim quickly. Built like a tank and left hand friendly.

Charles at https://georgiaairguns.net/ will take very good care of you if you are looking for dealer recommendations. I highly recommend him. Mine has been bullet proof for the last three years, no leaks and always accurate.
Charlie does not sell Taipans anymore, unfortunately.

Just took this photo, not a great comparison b/c the Short and the Long have been messed with....but might give you an idea....
vets.jpg

Top is of course the Long. It has a 23" barrel on it, and a plenum addition, making both the barrel and tube about 2 inches longer than OEM.
Middle is the Standard, bone stock, other than the buttpad/hook.
Bottom is the Short. It has a 16" barrel on it, and a plenum addition, making the barrel about 2.25" inches longer than OEM, and the tube roughly 2 inches longer.

If not including the buttpad, the OAL of the Long (with noted changes) is about 34 inches long, Standard is about 28," and the Short (with noted changes) is 25.75."

OEM lengths:
Long=31.5"
Standard = 27.9"
Short = 23.6"

The Short, with the 16" barrel is my favorite, which would make it almost the length of a Standard. So, like I said earlier today, the Standard is sorta the Goldilocks.

I should add, since it's not abundantly clear here, that the rear-cocking is an absolute deal-breaker for me. Luckily I do yoga 4 times a day, it helps me stay limber enough to arrive at the physical contortions that it takes to simply reach over the top with my left hand and cock the gun. :D

Last edited:
Just took this photo, not a great comparison b/c the Short and the Long have been messed with....but might give you an idea....
View attachment 314975
Top is of course the Long. It has a 23" barrel on it, and a plenum addition, making both the barrel and tube about 2 inches longer than OEM.
Bottom is the Short. It has a 16" barrel on it, and a plenum addition, making the barrel about 2.25" inches longer than OEM, and the tube roughly 2 inches longer.

If not including the buttpad, the OAL of the Long (with noted changes) is about 34 inches long, Standard is about 28," and the Short (with noted changes) is 25.75."

OEM lengths:
Long=31.5"
Standard = 27.9"
Short = 23.6"

The Short, with the 16" barrel is my favorite, which would make it almost the length of a Standard. So, like I said earlier today, the Standard is sorta the Goldilocks.

I should add, since it's not abundantly clear here, that the rear-cocking is an absolute deal-breaker for me. Luckily I do yoga 4 times a day, it helps me stay limber enough to arrive at the physical contortions that it takes to simply reach over the top with my left hand and cock the gun. :D
Where did you find the 16” barrel?? I’d love to do that to my Short, but all the dealers I’ve talked to say they cant get one for me:(

A really good friend with machining abilities made it for me. It's a .20. Absolutely perfect caliber for the Short with it's 32ish fpe max output (due to keeping it Short of course).

Crazy accurate. Won't ever be sold, and I don't really get attached to them in the way that some guys do. If an airgun will not produce amazing accuracy I have no qualms with getting rid of it. The .20 Short though? It's sticking around.

Reactions: Mr.H
My short in .22 shooting 15.89 makes 30 fpe easy and efficiently and is quite handy.

My long I owned shot 33.95 making 65 fpe pretty easy and efficiently.

The long is a HEAVY bear but it's a true accurate powerhouse. If it's for bench use and minimal walking I'll always suggest the .25 long

If anything else I would not recommend it

Reactions: Rizz01 and sstaton
My experience is with the Standard only, so I can't offer a comparison, but a couple of thoughts. It is a heavy and kind of clubby thing. The stock has the aesthetics of a 2X10 piece of lumber, but, it's my piece of lumber and I like it. For me, the Long would just be too long and heavy for a hunting rifle. Second, is the power consideration. The design allows a relatively wide range of tuning, and considerable power, even in the Standard length. But, if the longer version is required to give you the power you want, then it would be the logical choice. All that said, weight and balance are personal decisions, and we all have our preferences.

View attachment 314975

OEM lengths:
Long=31.5"
Standard = 27.9"
Short = 23.6"

Great visual comparison for anyone trying to decide.

I'll stick with the "Short", "Compact", "Carbine", whatever you want to call it. Handles great is closed in, or tight surroundings locations.

As Frank says, also, that rear cocking lever would push me into another direction, if this were a first of second air powered gun.. Yes, I did buy one, only because I have more "modern" guns. I just wanted to see what the Taipan Veteran hyp was all about.

Mike

My taipan is the most boring rifle I own until it's time to take out critters.

I hate shooting paper with it. It's too repeatable, it's too quiet, the trigger requires very little guess work. It just is beautiful. I have not touched it in 2 months as I have no night time pests to handle.

When that time comes I can't get more pumped up because it does it so perfectly

I think you might have missed my sarcasm. Maybe.
No problem...

The rear cocking, lever pushed me into another direction for my air gun purchasing. So that makes it three out of 22ish air rifles that I own have rear cocking levers. Blame it on the Daystate (two Pulsars) guns as to why I have rear lever guns !

Is that more accurate ? Sorry, yeah, I missed the thought behind your comment...only because it...does...fit my thoughts.

Mike

No problem Mike.

I was just joking about the rear-cocking since I have three of them. And I don't have 22 airguns so that 3 represents a substantial portion of my PCPs. The only non-Vet PCPs I own are: USFT, a Benji Disco and a Crosman 1720T pistol and I've tried MANY pcps and found the Vets to be what I like.

I take the same stance with the surprisingly touchy subject of rear-cocking Vets that I do with religion and sexual preference....you do you, just don't go around forcing your preferences on me or spreading untrue statements and we're all good.