• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Taipan Veteran Standard As Good As They Say

My history with PCP airguns began with an Airforce TalonP and progressed to a Condor and two FX Impacts (which are amazing). However, in the never ending pursuit of learning in this great sport of ours, I kept coming across posts touting the reliability, accuracy, and greatness of the Taipan Veteran. I was always intrigued by that, but why would I need one? I have some great guns already. Nevertheless, I loved reading comments from the Taipan faithful and thought it might be something I could consider in the distant future. So, with all that, temptation could not have been greater when the recent sale of the first generation began recently, and I bought a Veteran Standard .25 cal. I have to tell you that I have been absolutely blown away with this gun. It just works- period. It's dead accurate right out of the box- just as accurate as my Impacts, and it's just so compact and easy to hold. I love it. I think it will be my go to gun for a very long time.
This experience has taught me that you really don't have to have the most expensive latest greatest gun to have a great time or even lose a bit of anything. This Taipan Veteran Standard IS the real deal, just like they have been telling me for a long time. Now, I know, experientially, the truth. Thank you, Taipan Faithful, for letting us know.

My history with PCP airguns began with an Airforce TalonP and progressed to a Condor and two FX Impacts (which are amazing). However, in the never ending pursuit of learning in this great sport of ours, I kept coming across posts touting the reliability, accuracy, and greatness of the Taipan Veteran. I was always intrigued by that, but why would I need one? I have some great guns already. Nevertheless, I loved reading comments from the Taipan faithful and thought it might be something I could consider in the distant future. So, with all that, temptation could not have been greater when the recent sale of the first generation began recently, and I bought a Veteran Standard .25 cal. I have to tell you that I have been absolutely blown away with this gun. It just works- period. It's dead accurate right out of the box- just as accurate as my Impacts, and it's just so compact and easy to hold. I love it. I think it will be my go to gun for a very long time.
This experience has taught me that you really don't have to have the most expensive latest greatest gun to have a great time or even lose a bit of anything. This Taipan Veteran Standard IS the real deal, just like they have been telling me for a long time. Now, I know, experientially, the truth. Thank you, Taipan Faithful, for letting us know.
It started 8+ years ago with the TAIPAN "Mutant" .22 cal which is semi arguable :rolleyes: to be as or more accurate. ( came in mostly the Standard length configuration ) There CZ barrel and mag holding IIRC 2 more shots than vets.

Either way ... detractors, haters etc likely don't have a clue that a TAIPAN and there POI hot or cold, sitting around or banged around in a truck etc DOES NOT CHANGE. They are built like a TRUCK and in this way can be used like a good o'l reliable truck (y)

The " absolutely blown away " is also how I felt after owning the .22 Standard for a short time . Now I can't stop shooting the .177 compact I have owned for a week . Set it and forget it at its finest. Simple and balanced, feels great offhand. Enjoy you new Standard.

Hmm..."absolutely blown away". Not so much !
I have a Veteran Compact in .22.
While the overall, it works fine, it is accurate, loads easily, decent trigger, all of that.
I find it no "better", than many other upper-mid grade guns. My garage shortened, Walther Reign easily fits into the same basic box, for an even cheaper cost. And the trigger is only a half a step or so behind.
I MUCH prefer my AirMaks Caiman and Caiman X overall. And for just a coupla dollars more the AirMaks Krait also ranks higher,
Yes, I like it's short length, and without an additional suppressor (or mitigator), it's almost quiet enough outta the box. Yes, the trigger is fine, but again, not any sort of world beater. Again, a properly adjusted Caiman trigger is JUST as good.
Again, trigger wise, the not talked about much, the Air Arms, Galahad. Again, properly adjusted, that's another glass breaking release, trigger.
People talk so much about the Taipan trigger, it makes me wonder if most actually understand trigger adjustment. I see people "polishing" their trigger parts in YouTube. many areas of the parts that they are poslishing...DON'T DO anything...WTF !!!
I also seriously degrade points for an antiquated cocking lever placement for being a basically current gun.
I had, for a few minutes, thought about selling/trading my Veteran for another, but glad I didn't, for a "couple" of reasons !

Will I be keeping my Veteran, yes. I shot a coupla magazines through it last night. Took out most of the left side of the center dot with five shots.
But it's not ALL that. I guess I'm just not the fan boy that many seem to be.

Mike

Ì've said before "I can't pass up a Taipan Veteran thread"...I'm sure there are other makes of airguns that are superb that are capable of blowing one away...but money only goes so far in an attempt to try them all...of all the airguns that have been through my hands the Taipans trigger sets it apart from the rest...I never shot one of the electric Daystates...only a target model RAW of another members was as good...too me. I'm too old and grizzled for much of anything to "blow me away" but the bottom line is, I can shoot my Taipan more accurately than ANYTHING else in my arsenal...and I sure try to push that envelope, believe me I REAILLY TRY with some other great guns...like Steyr Pro X, Kalibergun Mini Carbine, Daystate Huntsman, Daystate Wolverine, FX Bobcat Mk2...only the Bobcat is capable of the consistent "sitting accuracy" of my Taipan and was like that from the beginning...I bought the Bobcat new...also an awesome gun...just big and bulky but between the two Taipan ALL THE WAY. I wouldn't think twice about it if I could only keep one. I'm that happy with my Veteran...3 years and counting...Thanks again Dairyboy!

Reactions: Matt247365