• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Taipan Veteran Standard .22

Congrats Dillon - 

It's so nice the Taipans Vets are still revered and their ~5 year old tech is still holding it's own.

Agreed. If they released a Veteran 2 with forward cocking and a 300 bar fill, they'd have no faults.

You are the only person on the planet that wants a 300 bar fill and one of several that wants to change something that actually WORKS, congratulations.

LOL - there are at least several people just in this thread alone that would prefer a forward cocking lever. I get that you love your Taipan and literally think it is the perfect rifle (although none exist) but to say that no one wants to move the cocking lever forward is foolish.

Yes, lots of people always clamoring for a forward cocking Vet (mid-cocking really).

Two of the oft-repeated desirable features of the current (and only, as far as we know) Vet design (among others) are the overall length and the smooth cocking. In my simple mind a conundrum is created by a mid-cocking Vet, in regards to the OAL and the smooth cocking. 

The physics of the situation would seem to require either of two approaches. The first would be to have linkages so that the vast majority of the length of the gun could still be barrel length. The other would be to have no linkages, but pellet enters barrel at the cocking area (roughly midpoint of the gun). 

The linkages approach could either likely, or at least potentially, compromise the smooth cocking that they're known for. This seems to be the consensus with the Cricket II. BUT it conserves the ability to have a decent length of barrel in a short gun. 

The no linkages approach avoids the probable rough cocking, but compromise either barrel length or compactness. If the pellet enters the barrel at the midpoint you either lose barrel length or have to make the OAL of the gun longer to keep the same length of barrel. 

If the currently fictitious mid-cocking Vet has to compromise in the compact or smooth-cocking areas, I'm simply not interested. 

Just ordered my 25 shorty. I'm dying to see what this more pint sized powerhouse can do. 
1f60a.svg

Congratulations! I am VERY curious about what FPS that can produce with a 25.4grain JSB / FX pellet. Obviously shot count will be different compared to the Long version, no biggee to me.

@rangur1, my experience with my Taipan Vet Compact / shorty is that it is an amazing gun, and very powerful and accurate for its size. And it is a very quiet gun for the power level with the right moderator. I use a DFL Sumo 25/30 cal with it pushing, depending on pellet, 40 to 50 ft/lbs of energy. JSB 25s around upper 800s FPS.

Shot wise at full power I get 3 to 4 magazines. Both the magazines and single shot tray are made of metal.

In April, I lent my friend my Taipan Vet Compact for his turkey hunt, well here is the link for the results I posted, and he was so convinced he bought a Vet Long that came up for sale and plans to buy a compact, he has mine for now 😂 until I move back to USA. https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/proud-parent-my-taipan-takes-down-a-turkey/?view=all

Taipans rock.

@rangur1, my experience with my Taipan Vet Compact / shorty is that it is an amazing gun, and very powerful and accurate for its size. And it is a very quiet gun for the power level with the right moderator. I use a DFL Sumo 25/30 cal with it pushing, depending on pellet, 40 to 50 ft/lbs of energy. JSB 25s around upper 800s FPS.

Shot wise at full power I get 3 to 4 magazines. Both the magazines and single shot tray are made of metal.

In April, I lent my friend my Taipan Vet Compact for his turkey hunt, well here is the link for the results I posted, and he was so convinced he bought a Vet Long that came up for sale and plans to buy a compact, he has mine for now 
1f602.svg
until I move back to USA. https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/proud-parent-my-taipan-takes-down-a-turkey/?view=all

Taipans rock.

Thank You BlackPaw!!! I forget that you are 8 hours ahead of Pacific Time.

Congrats Dillon - 

It's so nice the Taipans Vets are still revered and their ~5 year old tech is still holding it's own.

Agreed. If they released a Veteran 2 with forward cocking and a 300 bar fill, they'd have no faults.

You are the only person on the planet that wants a 300 bar fill and one of several that wants to change something that actually WORKS, congratulations.

Lmao, no need to be so condescending there buddy. I looked it up and it's been so long since I've had my Veteran that I forgot it was 250 bar instead of 200 bar, so you're right, 300 bar is unnecessary. 

Yes, lots of people always clamoring for a forward cocking Vet (mid-cocking really).

Two of the oft-repeated desirable features of the current (and only, as far as we know) Vet design (among others) are the overall length and the smooth cocking. In my simple mind a conundrum is created by a mid-cocking Vet, in regards to the OAL and the smooth cocking. 

The physics of the situation would seem to require either of two approaches. The first would be to have linkages so that the vast majority of the length of the gun could still be barrel length. The other would be to have no linkages, but pellet enters barrel at the cocking area (roughly midpoint of the gun). 

The linkages approach could either likely, or at least potentially, compromise the smooth cocking that they're known for. This seems to be the consensus with the Cricket II. BUT it conserves the ability to have a decent length of barrel in a short gun. 

The no linkages approach avoids the probable rough cocking, but compromise either barrel length or compactness. If the pellet enters the barrel at the midpoint you either lose barrel length or have to make the OAL of the gun longer to keep the same length of barrel. 

If the currently fictitious mid-cocking Vet has to compromise in the compact or smooth-cocking areas, I'm simply not interested. 

I don't think having linkages would be an issue at all for the forward cocking. The problem with the cocking on the Cricket II is not the cocking itself it's how the gun advances the magazine which is the issue. Cock it without a magazine and it's really smooth. The AGT guns like the Uragan are extremely smooth and cock just as nice as the Taipan having it forward. So I don't think that's the issue. But it will complicate a very simple design which could have issues. But knowing theyve been working on a forward cocker for a long time and no release yet there maybe waiting for it to be perfected.

Congrats Dillon - 

Lmao, no need to be so condescending there buddy. I looked it up and it's been so long since I've had my Veteran that I forgot it was 250 bar instead of 200 bar, so you're right, 300 bar is unnecessary.

Sorry Dude. My Taipan Loyalty gets the best of me and judgement goes away.

Have they really been working on a forward cocking design? We've all seen their announcements on Facebook and and Insta that something big is coming, but I've never seen them say that is forward cocking, we all just assume. Complaints about blocky stock are just as frequent as rear-cocking. Maybe the big announcement is a more elegant stock? Or even something else, like a rifle version. 

I've not held a Uragan so can't comment there. I have played with a Prophet a bit. While smoothness of cocking isnt bad in the Prophet, it is no Taipan in that area. Even with hammer tension turned down the Prophet doesn't have the smooth bank-vault feel of the Vet. Citing Prophet here because it is a forward cocking bullpup that still uses a long barrel that begins at the back of the gun, so linkages. 

I'm not against a forward cocking Veteran, and I think if they can accomplish it in a Taipan manner they will sell more than they can make. 

Glad to see you got this one. Stock is beautiful. I'd trade ya straight-up for me gray lam anytime you'd like. 😉

Congrats Dillon - 

You're all good man. We all are Taipan nuts here. I think the Veteran is the best airgun in its class, bar none. Just thinking out loud about things thing might make them more popular, since they don't get the love they deserve compared to FX, Daystate, Weihrauch, etc. Even though the Taipan is as good as, if not better than them.

Congrats Dillon - 

You're all good man. We all are Taipan nuts here. I think the Veteran is the best airgun in its class, bar none. Just thinking out loud about things thing might make them more popular, since they don't get the love they deserve compared to FX, Daystate, Weihrauch, etc. Even though the Taipan is as good as, if not better than them.

Thank You! I've been getting the 'add to cart' itch and the only thing I want to buy is kinda what I already have. Derr

Finally had time to get it dialed in. Was breezy the evening I got it so didn't get to zero it exactly. From an optically centered scope at 50yds was dead on elevation and only 1.3 MIL to the right. Thought that was pretty darn good. Got 4 sparrows, a starling and a dove with it in about 10 min. Shoots just like I remember my old ones shooting. Man it's good to be back!! Glad it's shooting so well that I don't have to miss the EVOL too much lol.

Congrats Dillon - 

Thank You! I've been getting the 'add to cart' itch and the only thing I want to buy is kinda what I already have. Derr

I've bought so many airguns, dumped hundreds and hundreds into custom projects, and the Veteran just does what I wanted out of the box.