• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Taipan Veteran Standard .22 regulator pressure

I did a search but came up empty. Wondering where the regulator pressure is set as the gun is shipped from the factory. I have a 22 standard that is shooting 18.13 JSB's very well at 945 FPS (35+ ftlb). Looking at my shot string it appears that the gun doesn't fall off the regulator until right around 1600 PSI (110 bar). I guess I thought the reg pressure would be set higher on a 22. Oh, and by the way I did send an Email inquiry directly to Taipan and got no response.

Thanks, Chip

Can you share your shot string? All the Taipans that I’ve experienced had their regs set too high from factory. This would show up as a spike in fps at the end of the string.

Thanks Derrick, here is the plot of the shot string. I shot it from 2600 PSI down to 1050 PSI.

1589057181_13848334105eb7169da00a80.10261246.jpg

Yep, my 22 Standard seems about the same.

You are saying that yours is similar to mine? Or that you agree most of the Taipans have regs set too high from the factory?

Being used at the upper range of power ... about right IMO

If tuned down some ( not a lot ) wanting more shoots and a bit better efficiency most will find 10-15 bar lower to work a tad better.

* tho done it likely won't make the power it did previous.

here a link to where my Mutant standard ended up after some tweaks ... https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=115766.msg1132843#msg1132843

Yes an easy 60+ shots on a fill making great power.

IMO only ...

Can you share your shot string? All the Taipans that I’ve experienced had their regs set too high from factory. This would show up as a spike in fps at the end of the string.

Thanks Derrick, here is the plot of the shot string. I shot it from 2600 PSI down to 1050 PSI.

1589057181_13848334105eb7169da00a80.10261246.jpg

This actually looks like a good tune for the power your Taipan is yielding. I’d personally lower the reg to 110 bar from what appears to be 118 bar set point it is at now. I say 118 bar because a well harmonized tune will give you 2-3 shots at string average before you see the speed begin to fall. 

110 bar would tune well to 915-920 fps and you’d pick-up 5 shots or so on the fill. 

Thanks Derrick and Scott for the input. I am not at all unhappy with the tune of the gun, it shoots very well and has plenty of power probably more than I really need. I was just surprised that from my string data it seems that the regulator as delivered from the factory is set lower than I would have thought. I would have thought that a 22 producing 35+ ftlbs of energy would have been regulated to a higher pressure to achieve that performance. I guess not. I have only had the gun for a little over a week, so I will be spending a lot more time shooting and tweaking. I don't really know what it will do for shot count from a full fill down to off reg because I have just been shooting to find out what pellets it likes best... filling to 210 bar shooting down to 150 bar. I suspect that in it's current tune it will probably do 40+ shots from a full fill of 250 bar down to 120 bar. Time will tell.

Thanks, Chip

Thanks Derrick and Scott for the input. I am not at all unhappy with the tune of the gun, it shoots very well and has plenty of power probably more than I really need. I was just surprised that from my string data it seems that the regulator as delivered from the factory is set lower than I would have thought. I would have thought that a 22 producing 35+ ftlbs of energy would have been regulated to a higher pressure to achieve that performance. I guess not. I have only had the gun for a little over a week, so I will be spending a lot more time shooting and tweaking. I don't really know what it will do for shot count from a full fill down to off reg because I have just been shooting to find out what pellets it likes best... filling to 210 bar shooting down to 150 bar. I suspect that in it's current tune it will probably do 40+ shots from a full fill of 250 bar down to 120 bar. Time will tell.

Thanks, Chip

In response to your previous question, I meant that I think mine is in the range of yours, around 110. But that is from my general recollection of the one time I shot it down off the reg. I know I'm getting great accuracy and power, and the shot count is adequate for my purposes, so I'm satisfied. 

Ed

As long as no one has messed with it before you bought it, the reg pressure should be written on the regulator with a marker. All my veterans have had the reg pressure written on them. MY .22 Long reads 133 BAR, and my .177 compact reads 113 BAR. I think the manufacturer tests them individually and writes down the test number for each reg.

If you are curious, remove the regulator and check.

l've been thinking about my observation of the rifle appearing to come off the reg in the 110ish range. I expect the velocity would remain reasonably consistent for 10 bar or so below the set point, so it is probably set higher than I guessed. Maybe Scott, or someone with a lot of reg experience can chime in on that. Someday when I have nothing much to do (well, that could be any day), maybe I'll pull the reg, as I think they usually do write the setting on it. Although I'm bad about tinkering, it's probably best not to mess with something shooting so well.

mmahoney and Ed,

Nobody has messed with the gun, I bought it new less than 2 weeks ago from a dealer. He tuned nothing but the hammer spring. I am aware that the regulators are marked but I am not too anxious to disassemble a rifle that is shooting really well just to read the number. Just don't really want to mess with it. I was hoping that someone with a lot of experience on the Vets (I was thinking Scott) would know right off the top of his head the 'standard' set point or range of set point that the 22 Vet standard ships with. I had really hoped that I would get an answer directly from Taipan, maybe I will try Emailing them again. On their website they make it sound like they are really responsive, but I didn't have any luck. Here is what they say on their 'Contact Us' page;

"WE WELCOME ANY COMMENTS OR QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ABOUT OUR COMPANY OR PRODUCTS. WE TRY TO RESPOND TO ALL ENQUIRIES WITHIN 1 HOUR DURING OFFICE HOURS. OFFICE HOURS MONDAY TO FRIDAY 08:00 - 16:00 TEL: +420 591 140 535"

Chip

Having only been deep into the vets a few times .. seem to remember seeing 138-142 range marked on the necks of those regs.

Only way to "Correctly" establish a killer tune in ANY REGULATED PCP is to do the PRESSURE / HST / SPEED test with a target known for @ speed a given weight pellet is wanting to be achieved. Do this you start with REG adjusted knowingly TOO HIGH and start ramping up fill pressure taking shots over a chrony and get a profile of where the bell curve is at while finding a WHAT pressure said gun will make the power you want while using the least amount of HST to achieve it. Done as such and that pressure known ( needs to be under where reg was set for the test ) the reg can be removed and set to that @ pressure + a tad more >5 bar or so. Now the regulated pcp's power is sitting just back from the peak of the bell curve. You could get a tad more speed if you added some HST. but ideally left there you will get maximum shot count. As you just fall off regulation you get slight rise in speed and a soft falling away without a speed nose dive.

Scott S