Taipan Veteran Standard .22 on its way!

I have a new Veteran Standard .22 on its way from Utah Airguns (great staff over there!!). 

I want to add a picatinny rail on the front of the stock for a bipod and tripod mount. Just thought I'd ask if anyone has any advice, precautions, reinforcements, etc before I start drilling holes in the stock. I've added rails and swivel pins to synthetic stocks, but never to a wooden one. I really don't want unneeded holes or, even worse, damage to the wood. Do you reinforce the backside with a plate or just smaller washers? When I put it on the tripod, I don't want the weight of the gun to cause damage due to leverage. Or maybe I'm just being overly cautious, and feel free to tell me so and put my mind at ease. 

Thanks for the advice! And if you'd like to share a pic, I'd love to see what you've done. 

You can use regular bolt, nut, and washer. The stock of the taipan has enough meat and, space to have bolts all the way through, without getting in the way. I would not use wood screws, as they can crack the stock, if the screws are to tight. Two bolts which fit the holes in the rail, and two holes drilled all the way through is what I did on mine. The forhand grip is hollowed out, from inside,which is a nice place to drill the holes Just make sure to double check the measurements before you start drilling.

Well, look at it this way, even if you have a few "Oh crap" moments, it'll be unique, and yours.

The reason I do not reccomend using wood screws is that I learned it the hard way myself. Because of the thick meat on the stock I thought wood screws would be plenty for the rail. After measuring I drilled two small holes for the screws. When I screwed them in, the predrilled holes was to small, and suddenly i heard "crack", and the stock got split from the front going backward. I managed to fix it by removing the screws, and fill the crack with thin flowing super glue, and then clamp the stock in a vise. The next day I bought some metal screws with correct lenght, nuts, and washers. Then drilled new holes, big enough so the bolts could move freely. After that installation there has been no problem, and the glued crack is barelly visible. Sometimes one learn from others mistakes, this time it was my own:)