• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Taipan Veteran Speed Dialer

I guess I did not ask the question right. I have only seen the speed dialer on Donny Fl site and Tonys site. Are they made from the same maker? And are there other makers? Does taipan make one? I would like to buy one with good machining that fits well. The first time. I am asking because I don't know and am not asking for the cheapest one out there.

I’ve used the one that Donnie FL makes for the past 3 years, very good quality. I am amazed at how repeatable it is, I have a tune for 18.1 gr JSB .22 at 825 fps and can turn out 1 full turn and to get 480 fps I believe…got the card in my pack with the gun right now :/. Anyway I’ve turned it up and down multiple times and get the desired fps on my Crony each time.

I highly recommend and Donnie is a pleasure to deal with.

Beach-gunner

Dennis

It can be done without the Donny knurled knob. 

I made a small mark on the anodizing of the gun just in line with the pin holes on the brass factory hammer tension plug. I keep the pins and the correct allen bit in an old screw top pellet tin in the case the Vet lives in. Just count full rotations from that baseline point of reference. After looking at it a couple of times you'll get a mental picture of how far the receiver the brass plug sticks out to know where you've got it set. After some recent BC testing with a heavier weight pellet I've decided on 1.5 revolutions IN from my baseline. The 1.5 revos in is for the heavier pellets, and 1.5 revos OUT from that is my baseline. 

Key is having a baseline power and going up or down x revolutions from there. 

When I save each projectile in Strelok on my phone I include the revolutions in and the baseline. One (or maybe two to confirm) sessions with a chrono with the phone app open, adding revolutions #s to each pellet name/speed and you've got all the data to repeat whatever you want when it comes time to shoot, no need to get chrono out again. 

The DonnyFL is definatley quicker to tune that the stock version and much easier if you want to change the hammer spring out. For example, in my Veteran long 22cal it maxes out at 47 foot pounds with the factory spring. With a stronger spring I can get 55 foot pounds and it takes less than a minute to change them out. It makes it very easy to tune you gun to where you want it. 

Wanted to share some foolishness about my first experience with the Donny speed dialer. 

Naively, I didn’t realize I had to loosen the screw to turn the dialer and before cocking. I was wondering why I had difficulty turning the dialer. Called my buddy and he explained I had to first loosen the screw and adjust before cocking. Then tighten and you are at the new setting.

I can hear the laughs, but just in case don’t make my mistake. Could have stripped or damaged, ugh! I find that I make a lot of mistakes working on air rifles and I keep my knowledgeable friend busy with my issues. God loves the trier!

btw, I like the silver sharpie for marking!

Tom