• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Taipan Veteran Short - Questions

Hello all,

I picked up a Taipan Veteran Short .25 from Tony at Talon Tunes last week. Really sweet little rifle. I have noticed two things about it that I wonder about.

1) The safety rings, like a bell, when I flick it on or off; a metallic ping and resonating vibration. A few birds have flown away about the time I have flicked it. This could be coincidence, or it could be an unnatural noise that alarms them. Anyone else run into this, and found a way to reduce this noise?

2) The fill port opening is on the right side of the gun, so I need to lay it on the lever side to fill it. It would be much more convenient if it were reversed. My cousin has a Taipan, and his fill port is on the lever side. The rotation of the gauge is different on our funs as well. I am guessing the rotating shroud over the gauge and fill port housing could be removed and the housing might be able to be rotated. Is this an easy thing to do, and get it sealed properly? This is only a convenience issue, so I don't want to introduce any functional issues trying to address it.

Thank you,
-pg

The safety has a positive feel when using it. I think it feels great and don't think it would scare off pests on my .177 compact or standard.

The filling port is on the right side as well. I roll vet up on the scope , plug in the probe , then lay it down on the lever side. I do this on a foot stool that keeps the fill port higher than the pump outlet. It stays in just fine and you won't hurt your lever by laying on it. The probe ends up vertical under the airgun.

Empty the air from the tube and then you can rotate the fill port/probe hole to be anywhere you want.

Easiest way to degas is to place one of the screws from the trigger plate in the back end of the hammer spring, thread the hammer tension adjustment plug back in until the gun starts dumping air. When it's empty, rotate the fill port to your preference.

I put a couple drops lube on my safety today and it works fine now flipping it slow , 2 fingers or one .
As for the safety, I NEVER use mine, on any of my 3 Veterans.

Don't forget to take advantage of the anti double load feature. If you decide not to take a shot, you can decock and when you recock it won't feed another pellet into the barrel. That keeps the hammer spring from being compressed for long periods of time, and then you're also not relying on the safety to avoid an accidental shot (can't fire if it's not cocked). Pretty ingenious little feature for the heavy magazine users. I'm not aware of any other airgun that has this.

As for the safety, I NEVER use mine, on any of my 3 Veterans.

Don't forget to take advantage of the anti double load feature. If you decide not to take a shot, you can decock and when you recock it won't feed another pellet into the barrel. That keeps the hammer spring from being compressed for long periods of time, and then you're also not relying on the safety to avoid an accidental shot (can't fire if it's not cocked). Pretty ingenious little feature for the heavy magazine users. I'm not aware of any other airgun that has this.

I do like the extra protection that just de-cocking would bring. I need to remember that, I'm used to shooting it before I go back in the house so it's on an empty on an empty hole on the cylinder . I need to trust that feature works as planned and it won't double or triple feed. I think the record for that is 13 or so. Lol

Now that I think about it my CZ p09 9mm pistol has the de-cocking mechanism and my Sigs 226 and 2022 also. Great feature. 👍