Tuning Taipan Veteran reg tester

Anyone have a Veteran reg tester for loan or willing to set my reg for me? Figured I would crack it open and attempt to fix my reg creep issue. Was having 50 fps lower first shot after the gun sat around for awhile. Ofcourse the adjuster moves super easy and not looking forward to handpumping, shooting a shot string, and readjusting. If someone could just set it to 120-125 that would be great. It was marked 132 from the factory but don't it that hot.

I'm not aware of a reg tester for the Veteran regulator.

I've played with a couple different OEM regs and of course there's variation in anything man-made, but they all seem to behave pretty similarly.

One of mine came with the red marker saying 125 bar, and had this measurement.....

reg.jpg

That won't get you exactly 125 bar, but it should be fairly close if you set it similar to this measurement.

I saw that you're shooting for 120-125 but Just as an FYI, the OEM regs don't usually go much lower than about 105-110bar, the adjustment collar bottoms out pretty close to where it is in the photo above. And testing that bottomed out position by shooting over a chrono produces shot strings that suggest reg pressures of 105-110.

So, adjusted not much from max travel should net you around 120 bar output, and should look similar to the photo above.

Also, it helps me to remember that more compression of the washers equals a higher output pressure.

Reactions: Joedirt199
Lots of guys replace them with Huma's, but the OEM regs are really pretty good. I think most of the motivation to buy a HUMA is that they have marks showing output pressure.

Of the three OEM Vet regs that I own, Two are impeccable, consistent fps regardless of hammer spring tension. Most other airgun regs/designs are less tolerant of wide springs in hammer spring tension. The third one though, is a bit more troublesome. It doesn't like to be adjusted less than 125-130 bar, and it also isn't as consistent with low hammer spring tension as the other two. The troublemaker will do a single digit es if set at 130 bar with hammer spring tension producing about 31fpe with the JSB 18.1s, anything other than that, and it's not happy. I do own a HUMA reg that fits a Vet, but it's sitting on the shelf right now (not installed).

Well just pumped it up to 150 and shot down to 110-100. It did go up in speed just a litttle around 120 then started dropping off with each shot so I think I am in the ball park. Going to pump back up again and get it velocity set then see if it shoots the same first shot tomorrow. Was looking very consistant while shooting down so that is uplifting. It also needs less spring now and that helps lighten up the cocking effort

Reactions: Franklink
Sounds like success.

That's how mine behave. Unless they're tuned HOT, the Vet platform doesn't have a steep drop when they come off the reg. As you noted, when they hit the reg pressure the fps goes up 10-15fps more than prior, and you get another 6-12 shots (depending on fpe) incrementally dropping back down to fps that it was above the reg, and then it slowly decreases even further.

My Vet .20 with reg around 125bar gets about 110 shots "on the reg" another 10-12 shots about 15fps higher, then another 12 or so below the reg pressure but that are still with 15-20fps of the starting point. That's at just under 20fpe and ending pressure around 100 bar if I keep shooting it down that low. So, about 135 shots within a spread of about 30fps.

My Long in .22 is set for 45fpe and reg is 140bar. Around 140 bar the shots start to climb, gets 6 or so climbing shots, up to about 15fps higher than baseline, then starts to decline. Air usage increases drastically after it comes off the reg though. It'll still hit the same impact point down to about 120 bar. Good for 45 shots above the reg pressure, and another 10-12 down to 120 bar. So, good for 45 shots with a tight ES of about 12fps or 55ish shots with a spread in the 35fps range.

Sweet guns. Always enjoy reading about others enjoying them too.

Reactions: Joedirt199
Lowered it down to 110-105 bar and it seems to use less air with each shot. Now I only pump it up to 200 bar and should get plenty of shots for walking around squirrel hunting. Should be less work on the internals with a lower working pressure. Was easy to work on. Only thing goofy was getting the trigger housing back in the same spot after loosening all the bracket screws. Love my Taipan.