• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Taipan Veteran Power Spring?

I'm curious if any of you shooting a Vet in either .22 or .25 have experimented with the Veteran Power Spring. They claim 80-120 increase in fps. My best groups with my .25 Standard barrel are the MKII's, but they are coming out at about 830 fps. If I can get some more horse power out of the gun with the new spring, seems like a pretty economical way to do so.

I do not have a taipan, but have you tried increasing the spring tension with the spring you already have? Generally It depends on what reg pressure the gun is set at. If the spring you have now is strong enough, to achieve max speed with the reg pressure you have, It will not make any difference with a stronger spring if you do not increase the reg pressure also.

^^ I was kind of wondering about that ( factory spring being light ). I've been shooting an m-rod for a couple of years and I don't have to turn that one in to many times to get power out of it. I've recently purchased a Taipan and got the speed dialer add-on - you've really go to turn it in quite a few turns before power starts coming up. ( at least on mine anyway ... )

I do not have a taipan, but have you tried increasing the spring tension with the spring you already have? Generally It depends on what reg pressure the gun is set at. If the spring you have now is strong enough, to achieve max speed with the reg pressure you have, It will not make any difference with a stronger spring if you do not increase the reg pressure also.

My factory spring is maxed out. Like I previously stated, the JSB 33 gr MkII are coming out at 830 fps, I can get over 900 fps with the JSB Hades. The gun favors the MKII, 5 shots at 50 yds is about 1/4-3/8". Every thing on the gun is stock. I feel comfortable servicing my AR-15, but airguns really makes me nervous! So there are limited things I am comfortable doing on an airgun.

Good cheap fix.

An alternative would of been to check the poppets sealing margin and tighten it up if possible (nominal=.02"-.04", for instance my seat diameter is .235" and I run a .275" poppet for a .02" sealing margin.) which would reduce the force holding the valve closed, making it easier to open without requiring a stiffer hammer spring...although veterans may come from the factory with their sealing margin within nominal spec opposed to way oversized like some, so that may be moot for your application.

@JakeRico & @Mr.H - thanks guys!

@ackuric - to me at least you just spoke klingon. ( a really really smart klingon - lol ) You sir are clearly WAY more knowledgeable on this than I am. After about 4 or 5 re-reads though . . . I think I get the jist of what you are saying. I've not the first clue HOW to go about tightening up my poppet sealing margin . . . . maybe someday. 😉

I got the new heavier hammer spring today and did a quick chrono check: with about one or one and a half revolutions from being maxed out, gun went up to 880 -/+ 10 for the 33 gr Jsbs. It had been shooting those at 830. And from 910 for the Hades up to 950 -/+ 10. Too windy to shoot groups today, but so far I am pleased!

Now that the spring has let you determine the max speed for your guns regulator setting, if you want to stay at 880fps you need to raise your regulator setting to get a max speed of 900-910fps. Then back the spring off until you hit your 880. Smashing the valve at the max FPS the reg will produce is not a good thing and not a good tune. Always set your speed with your reg, tune it with the hammer spring. Guys treat their hammer springs like a throttle, it’s not, your reg is the throttle. The HS is a O2 sensor.

There's another little performance limiter with the Taipans, the valve spring is also pretty weak. If you up the regulator pressure and increase hammer energy, you will need to deal with that valve spring for better efficiency and power potential (complicated subject around poppet lift, high / low pressure change and such).

The valve spring itself is high quality. Better than the cheap spring steel / stainless crap that you'll find in a typical hardware store. To solve for this, you have a few options:

1. Buy / make another valve spring of comparable quality as the factory spring
  2. Add pre-tension to the valve spring using a thin washer on the valve spring stop (the part held in the plenum / cylinder adapter by a snap ring)
  3. Make a pre-tension part with acetyl/ PEEK
    [/LIST=1]

#3 works well for me, I can control the height easily with different PEEK pre-tensioners that I made for my valves (my valve drastically change the distance between the spring stop to the seat on the poppet, so I have to run them regardless). Visual example in a photo I took of my Mutant's new valve:

1589865306_19289233795ec36b5a543261.68660996.jpeg

@JakeRico & @Mr.H - thanks guys!

@ackuric - to me at least you just spoke klingon. ( a really really smart klingon - lol ) You sir are clearly WAY more knowledgeable on this than I am. After about 4 or 5 re-reads though . . . I think I get the jist of what you are saying. I've not the first clue HOW to go about tightening up my poppet sealing margin . . . . maybe someday. 😉

Klingon,?I was thinking Greek! I approach airguns like putting gas in my car. I have ZERO experience taking my airguns apart for service. Who are some of the guys on this forum that do tune-jobs? Thanks!

I got the new heavier hammer spring today and did a quick chrono check: with about one or one and a half revolutions from being maxed out, gun went up to 880 -/+ 10 for the 33 gr Jsbs. It had been shooting those at 830. And from 910 for the Hades up to 950 -/+ 10. Too windy to shoot groups today, but so far I am pleased!

Now that the spring has let you determine the max speed for your guns regulator setting, if you want to stay at 880fps you need to raise your regulator setting to get a max speed of 900-910fps. Then back the spring off until you hit your 880. Smashing the valve at the max FPS the reg will produce is not a good thing and not a good tune. Always set your speed with your reg, tune it with the hammer spring. Guys treat their hammer springs like a throttle, it’s not, your reg is the throttle. The HS is a O2 sensor.

I did some more tinkering this morning. I backed off the hammer spring bushing about an 1/8”, it took that much to reduce fps from 880 to 870. I adjusted bushing about 1/2 rotation at a time. I could distinctly feel the spring relax as I approached that 1/8” mark. I shot a couple groups and it seemed better. My gun never really had shot the Hades that well in the past, but other than the “flyer”, its 4 holes in one. Who can I ask about adjusting the reg pressure?
1589908204_3741137345ec412ece5b041.72647697.jpeg