Taipan Veteran owners

Just a quick question, has anyone had to replace the valve seal? Just curious if it would be a good thing to have on hard. I do have two Vettys but both are tuned low. I noticed that Talon tunes has them in stock.
Thanks

Screenshot_20230615-171525_Firefox.jpg

Mine have been good for tens of thousands of shots. BUT I run the OEM hammer springs and no preload. And not chasing big power.

I have, however, been in a Veteran where the valve seat and poppet had been screwed up by a modder pushing for huge power. He'd hogged out the valve seat to the point that the valve stem had pushed through the seat on the valve. The delrin on the valve stem was also deformed. Although, I vaguely remember that it wasn't an OEM valve stem.

Moral of the story, don't push a Veteran (or any gun for that matter) past it's design parameters if you want a long and trouble free owner experience.

My Vet was purchased in late 2017. Even did a short time with a high reg setting and slugs. Still no issues with any parts of the gun. I did put the gun back on pellets with a conservative reg setting after a Vet hot rod guy who I respect his opinions said that you absolutely can wreck a valve in a Taipan. Not that I can’t make a new poppet in a couple minutes, I just like having at least one gun that I never have to take apart or work on. Dang thing is like a powder burner.

Reactions: Raysfan
I purchased all the O-rings for the Vet just to have on hand. A friend of mine owns one of the first ones made. His didn't hold air after about 5 years of it sitting in his gun safe (he doesn't shoot it much). He asked me if I could figure out the problem. I've never worked on an air rifle before, and was somewhat apprehensive at first. But there are some good people here on this forum, plus some helpful YouTube videos on Taipan's. One thing I don't like about Taipan is their lack of "available " parts for their rifles. And I guess they have discontinued the original Veteran, so if you are nervous about your valve seal, I'd probably buy one just in case.

One thing I don't like about Taipan is their lack of "available " parts for their rifles. And I guess they have discontinued the original Veteran, so if you are nervous about your valve seal, I'd probably buy one just in case.
I'm not sure that is an issue unique to Taipan. Ready parts availability is an issue with many European air rifles. Buying from a US distributor often mitigates that as a problem. But heck, as reliable as my Veteran has been I would be satisfied to just shoot it until it fails, sell it as is and buy a new one. My problem, the Vet II may soon replace the inventory of original rifles, which I prefer. Maybe I should just buy another one now!