Taipan Veteran Long - Regulator setting?

The more I shoot this gun, the more I like it. Did some work today on adjusting the hammer spring. Got the JSB 18s flying around 880fps and shot around 50 shots on target, then decided to record the remaining shot string on my chrony to try and figure out where the regulator is set. Got 60 shots from 160bar to 95 bar! So in total that is 110+ shots on a fill at this setting.

From the chart below, I am guessing that my reg is set around 120 bar, because it started to increase in velocity around that time. I still have not been able to max out the velocity with the stock hammer spring, but at this power level I am really pleased with the shot count and accuracy. My only complaint about the rifle is that you don't know where your regulator is set, but that is really minor.

chart.1641831930.png

When you say you haven't been able to max out the velocity, what exactly do you mean? My .22 Standard, which I believe is set around 120 bar, reaches around 915-920 fps at the maximum HST, and I'm shooting it at about 900 fps. So, I would expect your Long to easily reach that level. Not that you would necessarily want to, but if 880 is your maximum, you should have a more efficient tune by either backing off the HST a bit for a little less speed, or, increasing your reg set point a little. But I might have misunderstood your situation, if so, my apology. 

elh0102: It is hard to communicate these topics in print. What I mean is that if I slowly increase my hammer tension, my velocities get to around 975fps before I can't cock the gun. I am unable to find that "peak of the knee" setting. I have ordered a stronger spring, because I am a little curious to see what speeds are possible, so that will let me find my knee, and then adjust the speeds down 3-5% for a nice tune (Hope it's accurate). However, I like to get a high shot count, so the current setting will be tough to displace! However, at the current reg setting my hammer spring tension is too light, so the standard deviations and extreme spreads are a little wide. It sure is fun to tinker. I believe it is inevitable that I take the plunge and adjust my reg in the future. It is a little intimidating since I don't have a reg pressure gauge, so it will be a lot of trial and error.

The stronger hammer spring has very little adjustability. You'll break 1000fps with the 18.13's and your shot count will drop considerably from my own experience. The 22 VL can run 950fps with a 25.39. I never measured with the 18.13 with the stronger HS. Did your VL come set at 120 bar. I thought they were 150bar from the factory and probably where it needs to be if you want to run full power. 120 bar is just not enough in a Veteran. Mine ran 1045fps with a power plenum and with a Huma reg set at 140bar with the factory HS. 

Something seems off with your Vet, did you buy it new or used? I have a .22 long that shoots 18.1’s at 1050 and the 25.4 at 890. This is with the stock hammer spring and I bought it new from Talon Tunes. Taipan usually writes the reg setting on the regulator with a permanent marker. I haven’t had mine apart to see what it’s current setting is but I was thinking around 130 bar for the .22 long.

The slight uptick in velocity there at the end (+15fps or so) suggests the hammer spring tension is pretty close to optimal. The extreme spread for the main part of the shot curve is already quite good, just looks jagged because of the graph scaling. It should improve ever so slightly with a little more hammer spring tension, and produce a gentle rolloff at the end rather than the bump.

My Veteran Standard .22 has the same hammer spring issue, the velocity with 18.13s keeps climbing until I reach coil bind and the rifle will not cock. My reg is set around 120b and my peak velocity is around 950 but I never reach the plateau. It came new from the dealer with a higher reg setting and shot the 18s at around 1000 fps, but not accurately. I lowered the reg pressure to try to improve the accuracy by having a better match between reg pressure and hammer spring.

Maxing out the HST gave me 834 fps with the JSB 25.4 MRDs so I ordered a heavier spring from Talon Tunes. It turns out that the plateau for 18,1s for me is at 955, and 855 for the MRDs, so I had the reg pretty close for the 18.1s.

The TT hammer spring changed the cocking effort significantly, and is much coarser in adjustment. I set up a quick testing rig and the stock spring rate is around 53#/inch while the TT spring rate looks like around 125#/inch, so quite a difference. I ordered a variety of springs with rates from 55# to 80# to try out, but it looks like I’ll need to adjust the reg up to shoot the MRDs in the 900+ ranges.

Something seems off with your Vet, did you buy it new or used? I have a .22 long that shoots 18.1’s at 1050 and the 25.4 at 890. This is with the stock hammer spring and I bought it new from Talon Tunes. Taipan usually writes the reg setting on the regulator with a permanent marker. I haven’t had mine apart to see what it’s current setting is but I was thinking around 130 bar for the .22 long.

I also bought mine new from Talon Tunes. How many shots do you get each fill? It just seems my reg is set a bit lower. 

I also bought mine new from Talon Tunes. How many shots do you get each fill? It just seems my reg is set a bit lower.

I’m not sure since I haven’t counted. I’ve got three of the Veterans and usually shoot them all when I get a chance. I know my .25 compact gets 33 shots and the .22 long is way more than that.

I once experimented with the Talon tunes heavy Hammer spring. Not worth it in my opinion. It did allow me to reach the MAX velocity for my set reg pressure, but cocking effort didn't feel good. Not wanting to put that kind of strain on the components I opted for shimming the factory spring instead.

20211224_132424.1641869429.jpg

Before the shims and my 140bar reg pressure, .22cal 25.4gr knockouts could only reach about 880fps. After the shims I was capable of reaching 950fps. Cocking effort was still "harder" but no where near as bad as the heavy spring. 

The shims are just nylon washers that I opened up to fit onto the hammer spring adjuster.