Taipan Veteran Long .22 Power Plenum Package from Talon Tunes

Mike,

Thanks, I think you deserve a +1 for accuracy. A plain speaking, honest evaluation a guy could ever ask for. Think I get it, some guys, and not taking anything away from them, like to modify their guns, even as other owners shake their heads and say, "What for? Not Needed!" RTI and Veteran are both back on top of wish list, but, can't say RTI reg concerns are forgotten. Veteran still $275 cheaper, enough to cover scope costs, at least. Bought my first PCPs in April, thanks to Covid Relief Funds, so just might wait til next April for this purchase. Thanks again for your help, maybe Veteran will come out with synthetic stock between now and April?

WM

Mike,

Thanks, I think you deserve a +1 for accuracy. A plain speaking, honest evaluation a guy could ever ask for. Think I get it, some guys, and not taking anything away from them, like to modify their guns, even as other owners shake their heads and say, "What for? Not Needed!" RTI and Veteran are both back on top of wish list, but, can't say RTI reg concerns are forgotten. Veteran still $275 cheaper, enough to cover scope costs, at least. Bought my first PCPs in April, thanks to Covid Relief Funds, so just might wait til next April for this purchase. Thanks again for your help, maybe Veteran will come out with synthetic stock between now and April?

WM

Howdy WM. Sorry I am so pigheaded :) but I hate some of the rumor crap here.

AOA is a treat to deal with, as you may already know, and they sell RTI. This company... https://georgiaairguns.net/ is apparently quite EXCELLENT to deal with, before AND after the sale, and has Taipan.

You want what you want!!!

Good Luck

Mike,

If I can recall correctly, AoA has RTI, but no Cerakote finish and no Taipan. Georgia Airguns has Taipan Veteran information, but couldn't find pricing, availability or ordering information. I e-mailed last night to find how to do this on website. First time I've come across something like this. Pyramyd Air, no RTI or Taipan, but everything else. Well, like I said, I'll keep looking, but it's not like I've nothing to shoot, in the meantime. Thanks again,

WM

Mike,

If I can recall correctly, AoA has RTI, but no Cerakote finish and no Taipan. Georgia Airguns has Taipan Veteran information, but couldn't find pricing, availability or ordering information. I e-mailed last night to find how to do this on website. First time I've come across something like this. Pyramyd Air, no RTI or Taipan, but everything else. Well, like I said, I'll keep looking, but it's not like I've nothing to shoot, in the meantime. Thanks again,

WM

I think Georgia might be a little more "Old School" and just call them. JMHO

Observed a profound lack of CART at their site :)

You'll figure it out. There's another guy, Franciso, I believe in Spain that shot in the 2019 EBR for RTI in Phoenix. I BELIEVE he sells them. Also ask @Blackpaw, he just received an RTI

Mike,

Just got e-mail from Charlie Frear, of Georgia Airguns, states he only deals in AGT and Kalibrgun now. That answers that. I'll make a note of Francisco Eizayaga's contact information. When the time to buy comes, I'll want the most RTI dealers I can find, as that's the best way to secure exactly what I want. I'll admit right now, if Taipan Veteran has a synthetic stock version for 2022, my decision will be easy. Thanks again,

WM

Don’t let the paper or plastic sway you from a Taipan. I absolutely despise plastic guns. To think if I would have passed on my Taipan back in 2017 if they only made it in plastic sends shivers down my spine. You shouldn’t pass one up based on it having a wood stock. If you are a backyard pellet shooter don’t concern yourself at all with plenums and regs. If you can live with the Taipan ergonomics, a couple minutes with a chronograph and twisting a screw will be all you’ll have to worry about. You also don’t need a long unless you’re going to try to push 25gr pellets past 100yrds. The Vet standard in .22 is no joke.

Vetmx,

There you are, hoping you'd chime in. What can I say, I like synthetics, just appreciate the toughness. Stepped down a snow bank, years back, while hunting, onto covered ice, fell and shattered my brand new Remington 870 wood stock. Ever since, I'll take synthetic, not pretty, agreed, and, yes, I've seen picks of your beautiful Veteran, just the thought of damaging THAT stock sends shivers down MY spine.

You're the reason RTI Prophet is up there with the Veteran for my .22 PCP choice. Reading your posts convinced me, think it was mainly the barrel fastening to block design that was a strong selling point.

Both my FXs are Snipers (700mm.) Accuracy is top priority plus they come with other upgrades. Was looking at Veterans on Georgia Airguns website and was thinking maybe a standard would be OK. With .25 and .30 FX Snipers, I should be able to reach out for the longer shots, easy enough. My only .22 air gun is a Benjamin NP Trail XL, which I love, wood stock, and all. Only way I can justify another air gun is that I don't have a .22 PCP. Shaky ground, I know, but have to justify the addiction, somehow.

WM

The good thing is you’re in no hurry. Owning both guns for quite a while, I’m not still on my honeymoon with either of them. To pick either of them apart would mostly just be out of sheer pickyness. I just made up that word according to my iPad. I will say this. The RTI has only 3 things against it compared to a Taipan. First is the butt plate. You have to address Mr. Flat & Slippery. No biggie. Second is the reg. They have been “fixing” it for years. But God bless them, they keep trying and won’t leave a customer hanging. The last thing is pure pickyness. The sound by your ear. The Taipan is the cleanest snap I’ve ever heard out of a factory airgun. The advantage the RTI has on the Taipan is the option to find a grip that suits you and the design of the gun lets you keep the scope closer to the bores axis. If you can live with the ergos of the Taipan, I would give it a slight advantage in the buy it, a scope, rings and pellets, then live happily ever after category.

Vetmx,

See, that is why I perk up whenever you, Bio, Nervoustrig and other longtimers post. Good, helpful information, a guy can use, all the while, leaving the ego out of it. I think you guys are the good soul of this forum. Just finished a long letter to Santa, sharing how longsuffering I've been with my Wildcat, how decent I've been on this forum and how well I've endured the pellet shortage. Hopefully, he'll see his way to something special under the tree for me. Thanks for your help, Happy Holidays to You and Yours,

WM 

I just picked up that exact Taipan VL .22 PP from Talon. I haven't gotten a chance to shoot slugs but it was tuned to shoot high power. Right now I keep the squirrel numbers in check in my backyard shooting JSB .22 Beast Jumbo 34gr. yes 34 grains at 850 fps. It's silent and all my Taipans have out shot me. I had a .22 years ago. sold it and regretted it. The Vet is back and it's staying forever. I have a Donny KOI attached and its dead silent. (KOI is the only dia that fits the Vet Long PP) or other mods of similar dia.

DSCF0930_50.1639981677.jpg
DSCF0995_1_50.1639981708.jpg

Do love my TAIPAN bull pups .... IMO the best of the best !!

^^^Motorhead endorsement ^^^

Slugs....well. I just bought some nsa 20.2 grain in .217 on a whim just to try. First time trying slugs. Heard people having luck with .217 and 2165. Nothing on paper or scientific. But am hitting everything I aim at from the window sill and snapping twigs the size of my pinky at 50 yards. Same poa as my pellets. Haven't touched a thing. 18 grain Pellets tuned to 935fps. Have no idea how fast the slugs are going. Can't wait to get the chronograph out and tune it up a bit and see how it holds up. Definitely has promise!

Had a cricket and wildcat. Decided I wasn't a bullpup fan. Until I got this one. She's sticking around. 
Resizer_16197231314000.1639984894.jpg

All this Taipan worship has given me a woody. I've got three, a .22 Long and two .25's, a Std and a Long. You'd think with two .25's there would be two chances to outshoot the .22. They won't. The CZ-barreled .22 will out-shoot the .25's at any distance. Maybe it is just the pick of the litter of the production run where everything aligned. Whatever the reason, and it is probably only the CZ barrel's supremacy over the .25's LW barrel, but they are in two separate categories of "precision". I read guy's posts where they herald their .25's accuracy...guys, I wish you could shoot this one! Motorhead recommended that I back it down to 805-810. That is all I have done to the .22. Bingo. Shrunk small groups even smaller. THANKS SCOTT! That was 3 years ago. I haven't touched it since.

I'm going to be sending the .25 Standard to Scott so he can build a Taipan .20. I go to sleep many nights romancing the thought of, "If any Taipan is precise, just how precise is a Motorhead-built Taipan in .20?"

And I have been wondering: Why hasn't some enterprising individual turned and brought to market a Taipan CARBINE stock? Can you imagine that?

Taipan: Shoot, giggle. Repeat.