Taipan veteran huma install help

@erics - that I did not do - the huma plenum tube didn't have a hole in it so I didn't add one. The huma reg itself ( if memory serves - and thats questionable . . . lol ) does have a tiny little hole in it that I'm assuming is for venting. Something else you may want to do that I learned from when I put a huma in my marauder - file the threads on the little screw that goes into the reg at the intake side of it ( where you make adjustments ). See page 5 of this document.

If you do facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jim.danvers/posts/3593836070629758

-=- jd -=-

Erics,

Had the same issue. I have three Taipans, 2-.22 in Standard and Long, and 1-.25 long. Replaced all three with the Huma Reg purchased from Talon Tunes. First two fit perfect. Third one had the same issue as you described. I compared the misfit with the correct spacer and figured Somewhere in the process the wrong spacer was packaged. I was fortunate that brother is a firearms gunsmith. Milled spacer down to fit and all is well.

It is worth the time to correct the spacer. The Huma reg makes the Taipan very consistent, FPS and accuracy.

WB

Eric’s- you should bring that to Hubb’s attention. Shoot him an email with the photos you have attached here on this tread, or link him to this tread.

Maybe many folks have trimmed their spacers in the past like JDanvers has, but never let Huma know? Moving forward, Huub can make that change so others like yourself won’t have to trim theirs down. For all we know, this spacer of yours probably worked on the first Taipan that Huma pulled dimensions from. People have probably been trimming them for years but didn’t let anyone know about it.

So just following up. I had a conversation with the dealer who contacted Huma. Apparently they made them before with the correct size, then a customer/dealer gave them another measurement and they changed sizes. So they are trying to get it settled for good. There are probably a fair amount of both sizes floating around. 

long story short, the dealer was very helpful and took care of things quickly. I have a package coming in the mail already. The spacer itself needs to be 30.5mm with an overall length of 48mm (17.5mm regulator body+ 30.5mm spacer)

Thanks to everyone on their input and troubleshooting. I hope this saves some frustration for others down the line.

Eric

Everywhere I reading how super veteranan regulators are so why people change them?? I still don't believe my regulator of veteran. First shots were arratic I already mentioned in my thread... I lowered pressure on it at 4 dots. After that it was way better. But now after 3 weeks I have to check it again because I have suspicion.

Are these veteran regulators so good or not? 

Everywhere I reading how super veteranan regulators are so why people change them?? I still don't believe my regulator of veteran. First shots were arratic I already mentioned in my thread... I lowered pressure on it at 4 dots. After that it was way better. But now after 3 weeks I have to check it again because I have suspicion.

Are these veteran regulators so good or not?

I have a .22 veteran as well and it has been working flawlessly. For me after looking at how to adjust the factory one (especially without a tester) id rather not guess at the dots. Having a marked regulator is a big plus for me. Relatively cheap piece of mind if you ask me.

yes I understand but really don't believe those numbers. It will never be accurate. I have cricket reg tester and know how those numbers are accurate. Unfortunately veteran reg has smaller diameter than cricket so I couldn't use it. What I found on the forum people says that those numbers are way off too. Always is necessary to check it with the reg tester. 

Yo,

I shot several thousand rounds on my first Taipan .22 Standard with the same issue, would have 20+ difference in FPS from one shot to another. (JSB 18 gr pellets) Was not an issue out to 50-60 yards. < MOA groups. Past 60 groups opened up to unacceptable at this level of PCP airgunning. After I installed the Huma Reg everything tightened up. FPS range within 5 FPS and < 1/4” groups at 50 yards. Consistently < 1.25” at 100y. Had the same issue with my .22 Long and .25 Long. Huma Regs fixed these also.

I understand your thoughts, takes bench time to settle the reg in. I tried and just could not see it happening. The Huma Reg was consistent right out of the box. So instead of putting $$$ in pellets, on the two former Taipans, I spent on the Huma reg.

As mentioned above, being able to know the reg pressure setting on these types of internal regulators are a positive when setting up the Taipan.

My 2cents

WB