Taipan Taipan Veteran help

For those gurus or not so gurus ;)
My beloved Veteran 25 Long finally has failed me after many years of great performance, which is understandable.
It has developed a leak from the barrel breech but it’s only when I pull the lever to cock the gun, no leak when it’s closed but the rifle won’t fire.
Here is a short video to show you the problem. Before I start taking it apart I would like to know what could possibly be the problem, I couldn’t find a disassembly video. my guess is a broken valve stem or breech oring?
Any info will be great!

Renz

Last edited:
Reactions: MACTEN
How old is your gun? Do you have the manual that comes with the gun? There's a schematic in the manual with part numbers on the pertinent O rings. When purchased new, Taipan includes a set of replacement O rings. I'm not exactly sure which O ring has failed, but there aren't too many O rings to replace in a Vet. It might be advisable to replace all the critical ones at the same time.

Reactions: gendoc
How old is your gun? Do you have the manual that comes with the gun? There's a schematic in the manual with part numbers on the pertinent O rings. When purchased new, Taipan includes a set of replacement O rings. I'm not exactly sure which O ring has failed, but there aren't too many O rings to replace in a Vet. It might be advisable to replace all the critical ones at the same time.
The Vet is probably 4 years old, I bought it from Utah Airguns, I don’t have the spare o-rigs that came with the gun neither the manual 🤪 but I do have a box with different o-ring sizes I can use, hopping is just oring and not a valve stem replacement, will find out as soon as I take it apart.

leaky poppet valve,,, I've been known to dress the poppet with the back side of emery cloth, a piece of wood with a stem size hole drilled in it with a drill press,,, punch a same size hole in the cloth,,, insert poppet and twist by hand,,, tried a drill one time to spin the poppet,,, it got too hot and melted poppet face
here is another post for the poppet aka Taipan valve seal

Last edited:
Reactions: RENVAL
I knew it! Can you see the culprit on the pic!

IMG_2161.jpeg

My guess is it is some type of detent ball. where does that plate you have it laying on bolt up?? Does the ball go into that hole directly south or right below where it currently sets in the photo? I am not a Taipan guru but that may be where it goes. Hold it up to where it bolts up and see what engages that hole. Maybe? Or look for any hole with a spring in it.
Thx
Dan

Last edited:
I do have one question. I’ve had a Taipan since 2017. Never a valve problem. I was pushing the gun a little when I decided it needed to be my .22 slug gun. But another member here who I trust said the gun isn’t bullet proof when you push it. He specifically said the poppet will fail. So I backed my gun back down to a Clark Kent pellet shooter again. How hard are you pushing your gun?

Reactions: RENVAL and rangur1
Another question, when I opened the breech, this little ball bearing fell off,
Any idea where it goes?

View attachment 450764

View attachment 450765
Yes, that ball bearing sits on top of the imbedded spring at the rear of the housing. It evidently helps with the cocking. If I have time later today, I will disassemble mine and post a pic.

Yes, bought 2 from Tony, i was going to buy all 3 but I though one of us might need it.
Any idea where is the ball bearing coming from on the pic above?
Anyone? Thanks

Renz
yes, it goes with the tiny spring that is located under the cocking lever assembly. The valve seal can be obtained from talon tunes.

I do have one question. I’ve had a Taipan since 2017. Never a valve problem. I was pushing the gun a little when I decided it needed to be my .22 slug gun. But another member here who I trust said the gun isn’t bullet proof when you push it. He specifically said the poppet will fail. So I backed my gun back down to a Clark Kent pellet shooter again. How hard are you pushing your gun?
A few years ago i set the Vet to shoot the NSA 29gr @ 936fps, very accurate and never had any problems at that speed, last time I went hunting I noticed the speed increased about 10+ fps I decided not to adjusted down, after taking several shots I heard a big pufff no more shooting for me that afternoon.
I know some guys shoot their Vets pass 950fps, mine doesn’t have a power plenum neither the power spring so I don’t know what could cause the valve stem to break 🤔

Last edited: