Tuning Taipan Veteran dual plenums?

Looking to up the power on my TP .22 w/ 700mm barrel. I know the power plenum from Ballistas adds 20cc of air. However I don't know what the OEM plenum size of the TP is. With a 89cc on the Maverick and 72cc on the M3, adding 40cc of plenum air to the TP doesn't seem exaggerated.

Additional modifications will need to be made to make ideal use of the power. For those whom have made extreme mods to their TP, would 40cc over 20cc add a benefit worth exploiting?

Hi Meanadidas,

If you know how it is shooting at a reg pressure with the 20cc plenum, you could find the upper limit by setting up the TP w/o a regulator and filling to your regulated pressure. Now your plenum is the reservoir volume. You could never exceed that performance at that pressure. Knowing where you are relative to the upper bound might be handy. If there isn't much gain in performance with a reservoir size plenum, well, you know the answer.

Enjoy,

Nugria

Reactions: Meanadidas
Hi Meanadidas,

If you know how it is shooting at a reg pressure with the 20cc plenum, you could find the upper limit by setting up the TP w/o a regulator and filling to your regulated pressure. Now your plenum is the reservoir volume. You could never exceed that performance at that pressure. Knowing where you are relative to the upper bound might be handy. If there isn't much gain in performance with a reservoir size plenum, well, you know the answer.

Enjoy,

Nugria

Excellent info. Thank you for this. I will give this a try.

Hi Meanadidas,

Enjoy,

Nugria

Excellent info. Thank you for this. I will give this a try.

I'd be interested to see if this works. My vision is pretty poor but I vaguely remember seeing a tiny hole in the air tube of the Vet. I assumed it was the vent hole for the regulator. Seems like without the regulator in place that air tube is going to leak out that hole? 

Hi Franklink,

To close/plug the vent hole use a cylinder with an o-ring piston seal on each end. You just slide it into the reservoir so the seals straddle the vent hole. I got the idea from the Huma 12 ft-lb kits used in the Edguns. In the Huma kit they supply a part as described with o-rings on both ends. (attached screen capture from Huma). I've not tried it on the Taipan Veteran (yet). It does work just fine on the Edguns to plug the vent hole.

seal.1648008761.JPG

Enjoy,

Nugria