Taipan Veteran Compact / Short in 25 cal...is it worth getting?

I have a chance to get a pretty good deal on a new Taipan Veteran Compact / Short , originally I was going for .22 cal and they won’t be in stock for a while. So the shop offered me a discount on what they do have in stock, a 25 cal version Taipan Compact / Short and it is brand new.

I would use Taipan for backyard plinking and when I am given opportunity, I would use it hunting. Maybe the Taipan in .25 cal could be the second travel gun to accompany me with my Impact, something for stalking / pesting.

I did do a search here for Taipan Compact 25 cal and nothing came up. So if anyone has one I would love to hear your opinion of the Taipan in that caliber, and if you think it is worth getting.

Thanks!!!

A .25 compact has also been my second gun for the last three years when we do our annual two week prairie dog hunt. Here’s my experience:

I have not done anything on the gun. It’s bone factory stock. Anything you do to it will be a “Take from Peter and give to Paul” in terms of shot count and velocity. Mine is shooting 890’s with the Kings. Gun did not like the heavies nor did it like slugs. I zeroed at 60 yards, 10 yards further past it’s apex. I use a Athlon FFP scope for quick target acquisitions. Doing this allowed me to have reasonable holdovers out past 100 yards, while not having a loopy trajectory. A fair amount of dogs would expose themselves more fully at that distance and beyond. I would take shots with a high degree of confidence out to about 130 yards. Beyond that was a Hail Mary shot. 

On a full charge I will get almost four mags before the reg drops off. The gun isn’t as efficient as other guns I’ve used in the past. My Kaliber will get over four mags (12 shots each) but it weighs about three pounds more. 
That is why I have the compact. I can carry it for long periods of time, it’s quick to shoulder and very useful on longer hikes. I carry a Benjamin buddy bottle with me so really, I have a ton of shots available, I just have to stop and refill. 
The one quirkinesses about the gun is it’s short LOP. About two inches shorter than my other guns. You will probably find yourself doing some head bobbing to get the right cheek weld at first but it will soon become second nature.

have fun and good luck!

20200810_185255.1600692341.jpg

Mine is a .25 cal standard model and I absolutely love it! It shoots jsb hades and fx hybrid slugs very accurately, and is just a joy to shoulder for offhand shooting! 

I don't have one but I know my own personality well enough at this point to never get anything short in 25cal. I just love the extra power or shot count. I loved the airforce condor ss. The way it looked and how it came moderated but I went with the regular 24" barrel condor and I am so much happier. I like the last guys saying take from Peter to give to paul.that is an accurate analogy. I think that gun would be awesome in 22cal. You would have plenty of shots and power in that caliber even with the short barrel. At any rate who cares what I think do you think it's cool? 3 mags of 870fps isn't a bad thing. Actually that's pretty rad for a short little thing like that. 

"I would use Taipan for backyard plinking..."

I have a Taipan Veteran in .25 long. Great gun. Not for backyard target-shooting in suburbia. The thud of pellet against target will arouse attention from neighbors. Also, my understanding is that because of the shorter shroud on the compact in .25 caliber, the report from the barrel is greater than that of the Standard and Long.

Got one and it's quickly on its way to being #1 in the stable. It shoulders amazingly. People who are non-airguners pick it up and almost always comment they could probably do well off hand. One thing that almost ruined it for me is the magazine. Have many magazines the same style. I drope a pellet in and push it down and not problem. Maybe there are different batches of magazines out there but if you don't make sure the pellet is 1/8" deep in the magazine the gun will jam. It can't just be flush with the upper surface of the magazine it has to be below that surface. Almost ruined the gun for me and others have had no problems that way. Get it! I would bet you a hot fudge Sunday that it will be the only one you'll want to use.

Good looking gun!!! And I figure my Sumo will quiet any extra bark, it can’t be worse than my 22 cal Impact Compact.

What scope rings are you using?

Thanks!

Hawk Match Mounts. https://us.hawkeoptics.com/match-mount-1-2-piece-weaver-high.html

I switch to a SUMO when a little more hush is needed.

Drop it into a Standard sized stock when target shooting (thanks, Uncle Hoot!).

Use the Shorty stock for carrying.

Below: Standard stock and SUMO.

I have a chance to get a pretty good deal on a new Taipan Veteran Compact / Short , originally I was going for .22 cal and they won’t be in stock for a while. So the shop offered me a discount on what they do have in stock, a 25 cal version Taipan Compact / Short and it is brand new.

if you think it is worth getting.

Well..if you decide not to go through with the purchase, could you please PM me the name and phone number of the dealer that has it in stock?

Yep..definitely worth getting.

Yep, get it. I've got the Vet .25 in Standard and Long. The long is borderline backyard friendly, the Standard is a little loud for the backyard. Sumo it down and then you will only have to worry about the sound of pellet impact. I shoot printed targets on 110lb cardstock taped to a cardboard box stuffed tight with holey socks and old underwear. That will quench the sound about as good as can be expected.

A couple of people have commented that I might find the Taipan compact / short a bit small, but this morning I took my Impact Compact out and did some shooting. My Impact Compact is 25 inches long, in total length, which is 1.5 inches longer than the Taipan Compact / Short. The Impact and the Taipan Compact are “similar” weights, I imagined holding the Taipan when I was holding the Impact.

One thing I like about “bullpup” design is I like the weight back feeling you get from the rifle. Depending on the rifle I use “semi-biathlon” stance, good or bad, when shooting offhand. It may not be ideal for bullpups but most of the time it works for me. 

I love the weight distribution of the Impact Compact, I don’t like “nose heavy” guns, but when I put the Accu-Tac bipod on that definitely makes the Impact nose heavy.

So today / tomorrow I will decide whether or not to order the Taipan and of course, I will post the outcome of my decision. :D

As I already posted, today I pulled the trigger and ordered the Taipan Vet Compact in .25 cal. The dealer even threw in the power adjuster for free, $50.00. The rifle should arrive early next week. Now the wait!!!!
1f61e.svg
1f92a.svg

I still don't fully understand the whole power adjuster thing, as its pretty easy to adjust the hammer in stock form.