Tuning Taipan Veteran adding Power plenum extension Problem.

20210302_171314.1614727754.jpg
20210302_171343.1614727772.jpg

I have a new Taipan Veteran standard in .22 that I added the Huma Reg and Power Plenum extension to it. 

Well I was able to add the Huma Reg, and not the power plenum, as I try to screw it into the back of my air tube, it locks up. I know not to force things, I was told by a member that they had to use a strap wrench at one time, but this is locking in hard, and I'm positive the strap wrench would do more harm than good. So I ordered another power plenum from 910 this time, and first thing I did was to screw one into the backside of the other. This shows no issue with the threads, or size of the dia. at the front. Both of these would screw onto my receiver block, where my air tube fastens, but once again, neither of these Plenums would screw onto my air tube. The 910 was .001 larger than the previous plenum, but when I measured the same area on the part on the receiver it was the same size. 

NEW Discovery, The threaded portion which is mounted to the receiver, right between the back side of the o ring and the start of the threads, there is a relief groove, which is where my tube is binding with the new plenum extensions. Apparently when the machine the threads, there is some stock being left at the front part of the threads, not allowing them to screw into my tube.

Also Measuring the bore beyond the threads in the backside of the power plenums, showed more clearance was there. So I checked the bore on my air tube, and it's does not have any additional clearance there. So I'm wondering how many people have had this issue? Also I watched a video of the assembly of the Taipan Veteran on youtube, and saw something I could not do with mine. When the air gauge and the aluminum plug were screwed into the air tube, I saw him give it a good snug, Doing so on my gun misaligns the fill probe, where it would not go in, I have to back it off from being snug 1 1/2 turns. Which to me says my tube is threaded too deep, or something is slightly out of place. One has nothing to do with the other, but makes me feel I have a bum tube. Anyone ever experience this? Thanks in advance, Jim 

Hello again,

This is what I had to do to my Stock plenum from 910 Air Guns, and the same thing I did to the one from Talon Tunes. The relief slot did not solve my problems, it only made it more obvious what the real issue was. If I measured my Air tube, where the plenum screws in, I found it to be smaller than the back side of the plenum that screws on to my valve body. By .005 P/S. or .010 total. This is a lot and makes threading them together easy. I ended up polishing down the threads with a piece of fine wet or dry paper, you will also notice I had to hit the main body dia. and put a nice radius on the front corner. It's important to take a small sharp file that will allow you to clean up the threads after you polish them down and add the clearance slot. Loose shards of the aluminum will only cause more problems if you try screwing them together before getting things cleaned up. I had adjusted the length of the spacer tube for my new Huma Regulator, without the plenum, now that I could screw the plenum on, I had to remove even more stock, than if it was just being screwed back on the Valve body. Ernest comments on this procedure in one of his videos. I now have my Veteran back together, and have fired a few magazines through it, I have to get my Chrono out, and see where things are at. But for now it sounds great, and I need to get my barrel shroud extended 5/8 to 3/4 of an inch , so its slightly ahead of my air tube. 

20210303_052310.1614771366.jpg
20210303_052350.1614771366.jpg

Not really, as I had watched that video, and did the machining on my spacer, Not to mention I tried screwing the plenum extension on without the spacer, it get's nowhere near making contact, so looking at my valve body seeing the relief cut, must not be present on all Taipans, but from a machinists point of view, it's good practice to have that relief cut there. 

Hello,

I have 2 spare plenums, but my Taipan Veteran is the Long, so I will find out if it makes any difference. I also added the Huma Reg. it's set at 135 from the MFG. I'm not looking for more power, but lower regulator pressure and higher shot count are what I would like to achieve.

In your original post you said it was a standard.

It involves making a spacer for the front of the shroud and for the rear after you remove the snap ring that keeps the shroud from shooting off the gun. I’m sorry but I don’t want to open the can of worms that comes along with building stuff for guys. Nothing personal but I like everyone here. When guys become impatient customers, I might not like them anymore.

I have the Veteran Long, and after adding the power plenum, my air tube only sticks out 1/2 inch from being flush. I can live with it, it's not that ugly. I know Donny makes an adapter that replaces the flush barrel end cap. This could make it all flush, only if you put a moderator on it, it would have to be the same diameter as the shroud. I was explaining to Donny what I needed, and I believe he can make something to do the job.

Built it on my lathe.

Have you or are you interested in making more? I bought a plenum and I'm on the fence about installing it because I don't like the way its sticks so far out past the barrel.

You can easily make additional chambers, better than stock, with some Home Depot washers machined to be concentric, and 1" aluminum tubing for spacers. The shroud on the Vet Long can be reversed as well and in doing so becomes 3.5" longer than the stock configuration.

If you reverse the shroud you'll need to 'take up' that 3.5" by building new innards or just using the factory baffles and adding spacers.

It has the same threads, but they are not as deep, so it will not screw in as far to match the 2 surfaces. I'm sure the threads on the plenum could be cut back, as you see I put a relief, I also removed several threads in doing so. Removing more threads would allow it to screw on completely. For the # of shots you may pick up, it may not really be worth the trouble.