Taipan Veteran .25 slug advice

Friends,

I have a long history of hunting and shooting but no experience with Airgun slugs. I would like to try slugs in shooting larger nuisance varmints (raccoons up to coyotes) at 15-65 yards with my .25 Veteran.

I’ve had good luck with JSB kings but would like greater penetration for lung shots.

Any advice on where to start? Superb accuracy is priority one. It would also be great if slugs worked with the factory magazine.

Thanks!

Dear forum fiend...

I've been shooting slugs in my Veteran .25 and have used various weights.

Get one brand and stick with the same weight. VK slugs have been working fine for me and fit in the magazine.

Here's the deal...been shooting since 1970, every caliber from .177 to .25 and springers to pcp. What I've found is: Find one pellet/slug brand, one weight, find the right velocity for your gun to shoot that pellet/slug accurately, never vary from that fps. After that...just shoot as much as you can afford, given time and cost.

Here's the bitter truth...pellets and slugs, of the same weight, pretty much perform the same upon impact. They are like golf balls...each year the makers change the dimples, make wild claims about performance, and sell them to a market looking for an "edge" in performance.

We are not hunting Cape Buffalo with our pcp airguns. A good pellet, a good slug, of sufficient weight, is going to kill small critters dead.

Stick with the same weight, same velocity, same gun, a good scope, and it will do whatever you ask of it. It just takes patience, practice, consistency, and more practice!!!

Not everyone will agree...that's ok. It's worked for me for 49 years....

Kindly 'Ol Uncle 

PS: Heard JSB is going to market slugs. Slugs are the current "hot item" in our hobby. That's great...as long as everyone is having fun!!!

Reactions: jp_over
I've been using the NSA 36gr (cup base) in my Veteran with great results...

Here is a video I did at 30 and 40 yards... not the most stable shooting position, I was using a primo stick because it was raining that day and couldn't go prone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFidpRJHz0Q

But recently I did another video at 50 yards, and wow, that's the slug for my Taipan, I'll upload this follow up at 50yards soon!

Hope that helps

Reactions: jp_over
Friends,

I have a long history of hunting and shooting but no experience with Airgun slugs. I would like to try slugs in shooting larger nuisance varmints (raccoons up to coyotes) at 15-65 yards with my .25 Veteran.

I’ve had good luck with JSB kings but would like greater penetration for lung shots.

Any advice on where to start? Superb accuracy is priority one. It would also be great if slugs worked with the factory magazine.

Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~

Try Nielsen 34.7 gr at 900-/+ fps. I think you will be quite pleased with the results. I use these in my Taipan Veteran .25 caliber Long.😉

Hepotter - thanks for the wise and thorough advice. I agree with keeping things simple after you find what works.

I didn't realize slugs had become more popular. I always thought that slugs were mainly used by those who hunted medium to large game (hog, deer, etc.) with PCPs.

What weight & FPS did you settle on for your Veteran?

Orion - thanks for the cool video and specific feedback. Those NSA slugs sound like excellent performers.

2manyAirGunz - that sounds like a good place to start, I'll check those out.

Hekk187 - good info, thanks!