Taipan Veteran .22 Short /20 MOA rail/ short range shot trajectory problem

I just ordered a Taipan Veteran and my research led me to this thread. I didn't know about the rail before I ordered so I hope I don't regret it.

OP: Did you ever get it figured out? I'm not sure those trying to help realize the 20 MOA angle is the problem, and it's not reflected in any of those calculators. Why Taipan put such a rail on a short range gun is beyond me. These things aren't shooting 500 yards.

I just ordered a Taipan Veteran and my research led me to this thread. I didn't know about the rail before I ordered so I hope I don't regret it.

OP: Did you ever get it figured out? I'm not sure those trying to help realize the 20 MOA angle is the problem, and it's not reflected in any of those calculators. Why Taipan put such a rail on a short range gun is beyond me. These things aren't shooting 500 yards.

Damn just realized you revived an old thread lol 🤦‍♂️

My man. I have owned 3 taipans including a shorty. Power it down for starters, say about 20 FPE . about 700 FPS with 16g pellets- not sure , I haven't shot 22 in years. Next is to Zero your scope midway within your shooting range which is what 5-30 yards? set it at about 15 yards. with less power your shot arc should be flatter. Holdover/under should be no more than 1/2" at those distances from one end to the other. Now my other suspicion is that either your pellets may be clipping the mod or your scope may not be holding zero. That scope you have has had some issues. When I shoot 10-40 yards I set it halfway at 25yards to minimize the holdover. It's not the 20 MOA rail all my guns have them. I believe the issue is with the accessories.

Reactions: airrob

Really old thread......but what the OP was experiencing is simply trajectory.

Those of us that shoot field target need to know the exact impact point from 10-55 yards. Those <15 yard shots require either a lot of holdover or lots of clicks on the turret to hit the kill zone. And that holds true for whatever the gun is, bullpup, Sporter, angle built into the rail etc. It can be more pronounced with scope height but exists regardless.

So, what we do in field target is learn and record the dope for a given gun/scope/pellet/velocity combo. This is done by shooting at paper at all distances. It can be done with a ballistics app but the more straight forward route is to simply shoot at the distances. Then, when presented with a target at X yards, we know where to holdover or how many clicks you'll need on the turret.

And I'm saying this coming from somebody who's been shooting with the 20moa rail on Veterans for about 4 years,

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
My favorite airgun is my P35s, I have 3, and of them, the 22 caliber - because it is so accurate. But I zero all 5 of my rifles the same. I find a pellet they like, set the velocity, and then use Chairgun to determine how far out I can go with the zero and have a mid cycle rise no more than 1/4 inch. For hunting, I think 1/4 inch is not something I need to adjust for. On my Prod (750 fps on H&N FTTs) I have to be really close, closer than I ever get to shoot before I have to hold high because the scope is above the barrel. On my P35s, I have to hold over the target all the way out to about 20 yards. I put sticky notes inside the occular scope cap so I know the trajectory. My P35s shoot at significantly higher velocity than my Prod and are zero'd for about 40 yards. But that doesn't change the close-to-you trajectory much. The biggest factor close in is how far above the barrel center line is the scope center line. With a high scope (my P35s are about 2.75 inches above the bore) your zero will be further out but up close you have to hold high. Just a disadvantage of a bullpup.

My man. I have owned 3 taipans including a shorty. Power it down for starters, say about 20 FPE . about 700 FPS with 16g pellets- not sure , I haven't shot 22 in years. Next is to Zero your scope midway within your shooting range which is what 5-30 yards? set it at about 15 yards. with less power your shot arc should be flatter. Holdover/under should be no more than 1/2" at those distances from one end to the other. Now my other suspicion is that either your pellets may be clipping the mod or your scope may not be holding zero. That scope you have has had some issues. When I shoot 10-40 yards I set it halfway at 25yards to minimize the holdover. It's not the 20 MOA rail all my guns have them. I believe the issue is with the accessories.

When I get it...I'll have my .22 Taipan at 750fps using 16gr pills. That's about 20FPE.

I do intend to zero at 20 yards and check impact at different distances, but that's because I'm not great at math. This backyard plinker will be used from 10-50 yards.

So what does the 20 MOA rail do in this instance? Does it keep it closer to zero for that whole range, with less holdover? Or does it throw it completely out of whack? (Which I realize wouldn't make sense, otherwise why would Taipan include such a rail?)

What's the expected behavior at normal air gun ranges to have a 20 MOA rail?

I'm not sure I know what the expected behavior is to be able to answer your question.

I can tell you it won't be a problem, even as close as ten yards away.

Shoot it at known distances to map out the trajectory and then you know the impact points at known distances.

I can get strelok data to match actual trajectory without the 20moa rail being accounted for in the data inputs.

Seriously, it won't be a problem unless you really want to make it one.

20 moa rail gives you more room in the elevation turret to dial in longer shots. Does nothing to change the crossover distances for your zero. Height above bore would have more effect on where your zeros cross the sight plain. Also speed and ballistic coefficient of your pellet will determine how flat a trajectory you have.

When I get it...I'll have my .22 Taipan at 750fps using 16gr pills. That's about 20FPE.

I do intend to zero at 20 yards and check impact at different distances, but that's because I'm not great at math. This backyard plinker will be used from 10-50 yards.

So what does the 20 MOA rail do in this instance? Does it keep it closer to zero for that whole range, with less holdover? Or does it throw it completely out of whack? (Which I realize wouldn't make sense, otherwise why would Taipan include such a rail?)

What's the expected behavior at normal air gun ranges to have a 20 MOA rail?
What the 20 MOA rail does is help keep your scope optically centered. Hence longer life and better accuracy.

If you want the effect of a 20 MOA rail and your gun doesn't have one, you can add plastic shims inside your scope rings made by Hawke to obtain the same effect. It might or might not result in your scope being more optically centered but it will help you not run out of elevation adjustment if you want to dial for longer range shots. I have these shims on 4 of my 5 airguns. I didn't put them on my P35-177 because I cannot see wanting to use it at long range. I probably shouldn't have put them on my Prod for the same reason. Even 100 yards is pretty far for an air rifle. I think chairgun said I would impact 21 inches low with my P35-177 with it zero'd at 40 yards if I shoot at 100. As you go further, drop increases rapidly.