Taipan Veteran 2?

Where are all the vids/reviews on this rifle? Doesn’t seem to be many on the internet and the ones on there are in another language…been thinking about pulling the trigger on one @ talon tunes, anybody in here have one? Just wondering if it’s worth the extra money or just buy a discounted older version one from Utah.. decisions, decisions 😀

I have the funds for a new gun and most importantly, the blessing of my wife to get one. I always said that if Taipan came out with a forward cocking rifle, I’d get one. My problem is they state that gun is over 8 lbs. by the time you add a scope, you’re carrying 10 through the woods. I don’t take my Cricket hunting anymore for that very reason. That being said, I’m sure it’s a fine gun, the original sure is.

The first gen Taipans are 7.4 lbs for the standard and 7.7 for the long and the compact is under 7 lbs. I have the standard and its a compact weight so it doesn't feel as heavy as longer ones because of the weight distribution. I'm really surprised there are any left at 1150 bucks with 2 mags, oring set, single shot tray. I'm still in the honeymoon stage but with the factory tune it shoots great. It has a nice stock that shoulders well, accurate and plenty of power .

Vet 2 should be a nice pcp , and built for the guys that want a more modern design .

Last edited:
I have the funds for a new gun and most importantly, the blessing of my wife to get one. I always said that if Taipan came out with a forward cocking rifle, I’d get one. My problem is they state that gun is over 8 lbs. by the time you add a scope, you’re carrying 10 through the woods. I don’t take my Cricket hunting anymore for that very reason. That being said, I’m sure it’s a fine gun, the original sure is.
yes the weight is much for sure, but its going to be held by my Bog death grip
or my caldwell precision turret while shooting crows to and out past 100yrds.
here on the farm.
my walk hunter is my crown compact with 380mm barrel and 300cc cf tank.

After you mentioned the Veteran in another forum post where I was asking about length of pull on a Wildcat, I looked into the Veteran and the Veteran II. The tactical bottled fed II looked seriously interesting until I saw the weight.

They did away with the anti-double feed. Cocking is super smooth and slick. Rifle is very refined and well made. Feels just like the first taipan in hand. One niggle is that your cheek feels the rotation of the magazine when placed in a good cheek weld. The other is that the non tactical model doesn’t have the Anschutz rail that some first gen taipans came with. You have to mount a pic rail on your own. In .25 cal, I was getting 910fps with mk1 heavies from Utah airguns. Reg pressure is around 130 bar. The laminated stock in grey is a matt washed grey color…just as well made as the first taipan…even finish. The gun is a work of art. Accuracy is outstanding and it really really likes the 34 grain knock outs (.25). It shoots the slugs just as good as the heavies. Knockouts fly at 890 fps, same tune as heavies.

More to come.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that the new design does not include the anti-double feed feature. I have a Vet I, and I believe it is the best anti-double feed on the market. It can be de-cocked and re-cocked repeatedly, which is a great feature if you're hunting with it. Maybe it has been problematic, but I've never had an issue with mine. I guess I'm the contrarian on the new rifle. It seems each new feature is fixing something that, for me, surely wasn't broken, and at the cost of simplicity. But I'm sure the quality remains, and that it will prove to be a very good rifle.

I'm sorry to hear that the new design does not include the anti-double feed feature. I have a Vet I, and I believe it is the best anti-double feed on the market. It can be de-cocked and re-cocked repeatedly, which is a great feature if you're hunting with it. Maybe it has been problematic, but I've never had an issue with mine. I guess I'm the contrarian on the new rifle. It seems each new feature is fixing something that, for me, surely wasn't broken, and at the cost of simplicity. But I'm sure the quality remains, and that it will prove to be a very good rifle.
I love the OG anti double feed too. No issues over many years. The Vet 2 can be de-cocked but it will rotate and chamber a round. I prefer the OG veterans ergonomics on the cheek. I prefer the power the new Vet provides and it’s floated barrel. I’ll be making laser neoprene cheek pads for these and I will offer them with Titanium or stainless cap bolts.

I love the OG anti double feed too. No issues over many years. The Vet 2 can be de-cocked but it will rotate and chamber a round. I prefer the OG veterans ergonomics on the cheek. I prefer the power the new Vet provides and it’s floated barrel. I’ll be making laser neoprene cheek pads for these and I will offer them with Titanium or stainless cap bolts.
I find it interesting that they are making a marketing feature of the floated barrel. If ever there was an air rifle that did not need one, it is Veteran. Mine has had an absolutely stable POI. Where barrel heat isn't an issue, as it is in CF rifles, and where the barrel is not in contact with a wood stock, a floated barrel isn't needed. And this is especially true in a rifle put together in such a robust manner as the Veteran. If there is a practical advantage to the new barrel design, is is one that I haven't seen mentioned, ease of disassembly. But I've only disassembled mine one time, and that was just to remove the barrel for cleaning. I'm sure the Vet II will continue the Taipan reputation for high quality, and that many folks will enjoy the "advantages" of the new design. For bullpup enthusiasts, either version is about the best the market has to offer at its price point. Just my opinion of course.

I find it interesting that they are making a marketing feature of the floated barrel. If ever there was an air rifle that did not need one, it is Veteran. Mine has had an absolutely stable POI. Where barrel heat isn't an issue, as it is in CF rifles, and where the barrel is not in contact with a wood stock, a floated barrel isn't needed. And this is especially true in a rifle put together in such a robust manner as the Veteran. If there is a practical advantage to the new barrel design, is is one that I haven't seen mentioned, ease of disassembly. But I've only disassembled mine one time, and that was just to remove the barrel for cleaning. I'm sure the Vet II will continue the Taipan reputation for high quality, and that many folks will enjoy the "advantages" of the new design. For bullpup enthusiasts, either version is about the best the market has to offer at its price point. Just my opinion of course.
The Vet 2 is so well made it makes other air rifles feel cheap in hand. Its incredible.

Reactions: Matt247365
The vet 2 is a cousin to the original. Definitely a veteran, yet enough difference to have its own feel. The way they did the design the “floating barrel is actually tensioned with the way the mod base screws into hold the shroud and top rain in place. Removing the barrel is child’s play next to the original veteran. With the side lever design, I can effectively shoot at least 3x faster than the original vet. For me, I’ll have both, and keep both indefinitely.

Would love to hear some feedback on how the vet 2 performs with slugs
.25 cal jsb Knockouts shot excellent. A lot more testing and tuning is coming. The gun has power. I’ve got a tactical model on the way in 550 so that should be interesting. Get all three in a row and start testing…exciting times in the air gun world.

.25 cal jsb Knockouts shot excellent. A lot more testing and tuning is coming. The gun has power. I’ve got a tactical model on the way in 550 so that should be interesting. Get all three in a row and start testing…exciting times in the air gun world.
Good to hear, thanks! At what distance did you test and group size you got? Was this out of box or did you alter?
I saw there's a power plenum available too?
How do you feel about weight/balance?
Is loud?
:)

Good to hear, thanks! At what distance did you test and group size you got? Was this out of box or did you alter?
I saw there's a power plenum available too?
How do you feel about weight/balance?
Is loud?
:)
The standard in 550 felt just like the OG standard in .22 in the shoulder. The balance was perfect, making the rifle feel lighter than it’s weight suggests. The targets that day were placed at 30, 50 and 65 yards. Without cleaning first, the rifle was zeroed using 34g JSB mk1s. After about 2 fills, the gun started to pick up consistency and was already precise. At 30 from a large PRS front bag placed central on the rifle and shouldered while seated, one hole no larger than two pellets ctc. At 50, just under 1/2 inch on most dots and just over on a few dots at 905-910 fps. We had winds but it’s never perfectly calm in these parts. It began raining just a few hours into the shoot. It is not loud but it’s not as quiet as an OG taipan in .22 standard set at 140 bar. The cocking is smooth as silk and solid. It’s reversible too. Trigger out of the box was light but with some creep. This can be dialed out (the trigger can be safely tuned to perfection) The rifle came from UTAH airguns. I didn’t have time to deep dive into the rifle but I will soon. Cleaning, pellet testing, chrono work, trigger adjustments etc a lot to do.

Question.....
Utah Airguns has the barrels listed as polygonal rifled and Talon Tunes says 12 groove conventional rifling...which is true?
I can't imagine they're spec'ed with different barrels for each vendor.
From Taipan site

Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 18.49.30.png

Reactions: Matt247365