Taipan Taipan Veteran 2 Tactical 500 mm cal 0.22

Hello, about two weeks ago I bought this rifle, and I am still unable to find the ideal velocity and the appropriate pellets. I always had the idea that rifles with a CZ barrel were very friendly with any type of pellets, but now I am not very convinced. If anyone has this rifle and has already found the right velocity and pellet or slug, please comment. I leave a photo of my rifle.

Thank you

Taipan 2 Veteran.jpg

My original Taipan Veteran Standard .22 came with a sample target reflecting high accuracy with JSB 18.1 pellets. Accuracy continues with only a good barrel cleaning done on my part. My Veteran .25 Long also came with sample target reflecting accuracy with JSB 25.39 pellets. Wanting to shoot JSB 33.95s, I increased HS tension by 3/4 turn to tighten up loose grouping noted with heavier pellets, chronograph shows 880 FPS, SD 4.1. WM

That's set up for shooting 25.4s . You'll have better luck with the heavier pellets. Like trucker said the 18s are cooking.

That things a powerhouse. My Mav is tuned similar and it's pushing 45 fpe. Don't adjust anything, get some heavy 21+g pellets and enjoy. I also think your barrel is non choked so it might do well with slugs . You should clean your barrel at some point . 👉

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt247365
Initial barrel cleaning is considered critical to accuracy for many. The PatchWorm system and Ballistol are popular. Steve, from AEAC, has a helpful YouTube video on barrel cleaning with PatchWorm. Also, you can scroll thru the small advertising "flags" at forum page top until "PatchWorm," click for information. WM

Do you have a chronograph? If I were you, I'd get a good read on how fast the 18.1s are going, and then gradually decrease the HST. Looks like you bought that from Tony. The manual that came with the gun tells should illustrate how to do that.

Or you could buy some heavier pellets
correct, I have a chronograph, the day I received it without touching anything, I fired the 18 jsb and I was getting more than 1000 fps, so I proceeded to lower the hammer tension, currently the jsb is firing at about 900 fps but the group does not It convinces me.

correct, I have a chronograph, the day I received it without touching anything, I fired the 18 jsb and I was getting more than 1000 fps, so I proceeded to lower the hammer tension, currently the jsb is firing at about 900 fps but the group does not It convinces me.
What size are the groups? What distance?

Can you post pictures of your groups?

Thanks

What size are the groups? What distance?

Can you post pictures of your groups?

Thanks
I didn't measure the ctc but I suppose it helps to give an idea, that is 50 meters, the 5.52 jsb suits better. What I don't like is that it doesn't maintain those groups as the days go by, I come back and again it doesn't group in the same way.

agrupacion a 50 metros 2.jpg

agrupacion a 50 metros.jpg

I wouldn't touch a thing. I'd get some 25.4 gr pellets and test it again. Any gun I've received from Tony has been cleaned and is ready to go with the projectile he tuned it for. Respectfully disagree with the statement that more cleaning is better. More guns have been ruined by over cleaning than any other way. Once shooting properly, leave it alone and clean it when accuracy degrades.

Lol I think you have fallen to unrealistic expectations by the keyboard snipers on here that say everyone goes into the same hole every time. Those are pretty good groups at 50m outside. Can you show groups of the bad ones? Also I've personally have had bad tins of 18gr JSBs and haven't shot them in years. The 16gr were better and recently the JTS 18gr are much better than JSBs and have switched to them.

I posted before seeing your groups at 50m. Those are not bad! I saw 2 groups touching with 1 flyer. All except the flyer are squirrel head kill shots. Also remember, the CZ choked barrel were pellets friendly. The unchoked swap between pellets and slugs. The CZ barrels also love their speed. Figure 860 FPS and above for best results.

I just got the same gun from Tony with the 700mm barrel. It put the 25.4s in the same hole at both 25 and 50 yards at the range. I switched over to JSB KOs in the same weight and it was shooting better than me at 100 yards. For grins, I put some 18.1g pellets in it and whoa did the speed go up as well as the sound - all over 1000fps. I have the 25.4s at about 960, but I have the unchoked barrel. I'm ordering the 550mm barrel to swap out so I'm watching this thread closely!

Of course this group is very good, I did it on a day without wind, this weekend I will do some groups again and we will see how it behaves, I still do not have JTS pellets available in my city but I have heard that they are very good.
The groups won’t be that good out of any guns on days with wind. Especially little tiny 18.1’s. Not sure what you expect out of that rifle. Not a powder burner.

Reactions: Dairyboy
The groups won’t be that good out of any guns on days with wind. Especially little tiny 18.1’s. Not sure what you expect out of that rifle. Not a powder burner.
With this rifle I hope to be able to shoot heavy slugs of at least 25 grains at a higher speed and achieve a good grouping. This would be better for me on a windy day, I'm not saying perfect but better.