Taipan vet long shroud flip

Recently installed a power plenum on my vet and wasn't happy with the look of the shroud coming up short of the air tube.

Pulled the shroud apart and had a look to see how it was put together. I was pretty impressed with the quality of the baffle system.

All that was needed was just a flip of the shroud and a 3.5" spacer. Schedule 40 3/4 PVC fit the shroud perfectly. 

Also added a piece of 15ID x 18OD carbon fiber tube over the barrel to tighten the shroud against and tension the barrel. It did stiffen it up. I think this would be beneficial especially if running the 700mm barrel.

Pics below to show the arrangement. 

Resizer_16196379764421.1619639343.jpg
Resizer_16196379764422.1619639415.jpg
Resizer_16196379764420.1619639544.jpg

Reactions: Skydivingmiami
Good stuff. I do have the 700mm with the plenum too ( does the one you show have it? ) and I've been teetering on going back to the OEM barrel as I'm convinced that there is "flip" or movement with the 700mm one - it's very long and just "hanging" out there. I've thought about seeing if I could get a barrel band or something made by a local machinist but . . . . I just haven't yet. Maybe it's me but . . . . finding the lethal accuracy out of it that I did with the OEM barrel has been challenging to say the least. I *have* found a good tune that seems pretty good with it but . . . the gun has just been "finicky" since installing that barrel last . . . . October'ish

Good stuff. I do have the 700mm with the plenum too ( does the one you show have it? ) and I've been teetering on going back to the OEM barrel as I'm convinced that there is "flip" or movement with the 700mm one - it's very long and just "hanging" out there. I've thought about seeing if I could get a barrel band or something made by a local machinist but . . . . I just haven't yet. Maybe it's me but . . . . finding the lethal accuracy out of it that I did with the OEM barrel has been challenging to say the least. I *have* found a good tune that seems pretty good with it but . . . the gun has just been "finicky" since installing that barrel last . . . . October'ish

Thats the stock barrel in the picture. I have a 700mm also. Put it on for a day just to check it out with pellets. Conditions weren't good for testing though. But i did feel the stock barrel did a bit better. 

Being your already setup with the 700mm. I would definitely try the carbon fiber tube to stiffen it up. You'd have a good baseline to test for any improvement. Was only $17 for a 500mm piece. Just cut it a couple mm long and tighten the shroud against it.

Did you ever try any of the lightweight slugs 17.5 or 20's in the stock barrel. Been wanting to give them a try.

Hey there. The h&n 23's ( .217 ) were *awesome* in my long with the oem barrel. The slightly heavier jsb ko's were also quite good - not as accurate as the h&n's but ... still very good. I got my longest shot ever with the ko's actually - I ko'd a woodchuck at 154 yds using them last summer. ;-)

I did, just yesterday actually, get my longest pigeon so far running ko's with the 700mm. 130 yds. 

( re-read and something that might be useful ) I do have a heavier spring in it. ( hammer spring ) TalonTunes has them.

I extended my shroud to compensate for the added plenum also. I just extended it the exact length of the plenum. The gun was quiet before, it’s even better now with the additional chamber. I like how Taipan does a shroud. Other manufacturers need to take note. With that C-clip in there, it is locked on and not going anywhere.
47809464-52A1-44F7-A248-C3E635316B66.1619707539.jpeg

Agreed. Very well thought out shroud.

Ever get a chance to up the speed and see how your accuracy did? Mines stoopid accurate with the 16's at 970. Swatting apple blossoms at 97 yards. It amazes me. I need to get around to trying some slugs. Hoping to get the 17 and 20's to work.

I had some time to mess with it today. I ended up shortening it a little more. And since i had the extra carbon fiber tube, I covered the rest of the barrel. Gonna call it good.

Resizer_16197231314000.1619725197.jpg

Know this is a old thread......I run a Vet Standard, 24in LW polygonal barrel & few other mods. Im shooting 890fps with AVS 46gr. BT/HPs - consistent one-holer's @ 75yrs. switch to Griffin 48gr, slows it down to 875fps but same one holer'. right now, no shroud - waiting on new end caps. STO Accipiter moderator - best on the market, beats DonnyFL by 1000miles - way quieter and weights a feather. .....old pic
20220705_143503.jpg