Taipan vet long reg setting?

Does anyone know what the regs are set at from the factory? And it seems i read somewhere one full turn on the reg was 10 bar?

Just received a nice 22 long in grey laminate from Talontunes. A replacement for the Impact i sold over the winter. Had to see what all the fuss was about. I was a little concerned about the weight when i ordered it. But after handling it, I think its a winner.

Can't wait to get a scope on it, switch the side lever to the correct side 
grin.gif
 and put some lead downrange. Dont know what Tony does to them before they go out the door? But by the looks of the 30 yard card, I'm going to be more than pleased!

Resizer_16168697087850.1616901917.jpg

I doubt if Tony touches the reg. Based on the target, I wouldn't either. I have a .22 Standard. I shot it down one time, but I honestly can't remember what I estimated the set point to be. I remember it acted normally when coming off reg, and its current tune is around 97% of maximum velocity at the current reg setting, so it seems well balanced. I'm out of my depth here, but I wonder if the unusually large, double transfer port has something to do with the relatively high reg settings? 

Taipan seems to have the reg set on the .25 longs for 33gr pellets. The gun is just too fast for the guys who want to shoot 25gr pellets and have an efficient tune. The thing I don’t know is if they set the .22 longs reg for shooting heavy .22 pellets. If they did the same thing with the .22 that they did with the .25 long, and if you want to shoot 18gr pellets and back the reg down, you will get an insane amount of shots. My .22 standard had the reg set right around 130b. It was a perfect setting for the standard shooting 18gr pellets.

Taipan seems to have the reg set on the .25 longs for 33gr pellets. The gun is just too fast for the guys who want to shoot 25gr pellets and have an efficient tune. The thing I don’t know is if they set the .22 longs reg for shooting heavy .22 pellets. If they did the same thing with the .22 that they did with the .25 long, and if you want to shoot 18gr pellets and back the reg down, you will get an insane amount of shots. My .22 standard had the reg set right around 130b. It was a perfect setting for the standard shooting 18gr pellets.

It came tuned shooting 18's at 940. Exactly how I had my impact set up. I find that a good speed for them if accuracy is there. My plan is to tune for efficiency at that speed. Seems during my research weeks ago i caught a post by you stating there were 16 dimples in the reg and one full turn netted about a10 bar change? Memory ain't what it used to be. Thanks 

There is no way my Taipan would shoot a 18 at 940 out of its CZ accurately. My best long range groups came right around 900fps. I rotated my brass wheel on the reg 180 degrees and got +10b. My memory and too many guns caused me to start referring to a notebook on my guns. The Taipans barrel is not a FX liner so don’t be surprised if you have to let go of the 940fps thing.

Excellent! Thanks for the info! As always accuracy always trumps speed. Ive just seen that Charlie tunes them to 930-40 Crickets also. And mine from Tony came averaging 938 and maybe a good spot for them. Ill be interested to see what you come up with.

Although heavy, the Taipan feels lighter in the hand than my 25 cal cricket did. From the reports, and what little I've handled the gun. I think its going to be an excellent gun.

What slugs are working for you? I haven't ventured down the slug path yet. But may at some point with pellets becoming harder to obtain.

Thanks for taking the time to do some testing. 

Since I have a standard Vet, I would follow mtnGhost’s recommendations if I were you. He knows the longs. I don’t really want to shoot 18’s out of my gun at 965fps because of air consumption but it’s definitely cool to see if there is a second accuracy threshold that I never ventured into. If you’re wondering why I’m not concerned about air consumption when shooting slugs vs pellets, it’s because I don’t shoot slugs recreationally like I do pellets. I will say if my Vet produces better groups at 80-100yrds with 18’s at 965 vs 900fps, I will live with it being a little more thirsty. I can’t wait for a calm night to test them from 50-100yrds. Thanks to you I’m going to burn some lead of my Vet again. The darn thing is such a set it and forget it gun that it’s almost boring. After dialed in, it just sits in the safe and only gets called upon to pop a critter or do it’s monthly 10 shot exercise routine I do with all my guns.

Thanks gentlemen. I'm not going to be able to run it over the chronograph for at least a week and the reason for gathering info. I seen Charlie's info said 110 bar and was curious what other's have noticed. My goal is shot count over all out power. Thanks for the feedback.

If you bought yours from Talon Tunes, its not set at 110 from the factory unless you ask for it to be. I have a huma reg in mine that is set a 140 bar for my Veteran Long 22cal. I ask Tony for it that way and it is set up for 25.39 JSB's and FX versions and they are as accurate as your going to get at 50+. I turned it down to shoot JSB 18.1's at 890 and I can say that it is not as efficient as it could be. Matter of fact if I were going to shoot JSB 18's all the time, which I am not, I would turn it down to 120 bar. Mine will shot 1034 fps JSB 18's right now at max power. I also have a power plenum installed as well. Mine is not as accurate with JSB 18's as it is with the 25's, but I am going to order the FX and the Daystate version of the JSB 18's and see how ti works out. Even though it is not as efficient it will still get 80+ shots at 890fps with the 18's. Unlike some of these guys, I'm not taking the gun apart every time I change pellets. I'll just buy another gun before I do that. Oh wait, I'll do that anyway. lol. I have got to order a better bipod this week and do some long range testing at 100 yards. That flat bottom stock is not conducive to any of my shooting bags. 

IMG_0657.1616964126.JPG

The darn thing is such a set it and forget it gun that it’s almost boring. After dialed in, it just sits in the safe and only gets called upon to pop a critter or do it’s monthly 10 shot exercise routine I do with all my guns.

Thats what im ultimately looking for.

My previous Impact was very reliable contrary to some ive read about. But i never pushed it hard. 930-40 at 75 bar with the 18's and 950 at 110 bar with the 25's. It was thrown in the truck seat and leaned in the corner picked up by its barrel most of the time.

Only thing i did different than anyone is sleeve the liner in 2 pieces. Leaving room in the center of the liner for 2 orings side by side to support the middle of the liner. I wanted as much support as possible. May be something to try if your getting small shifts with yours.