• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

TAIPAN Vet get the Full "Hunter" Field Target set up.

Great thread and gun. I bought a 177 earlier this year thinking I might try HFT some day. It is a P35 so it is not in the same league as a Taipan but I am still thinking of giving it a try.

Are short shots more challenging with the Taipan? Your scope is probably not quite as high as mine but I have to hold over out to about 20 yards and at 10 yards I hold two mil dots over with the scope at 6X. I will need to work on my hold overs for 16X. But with a lower scope, the amount of hold over would be less and it would not be needed after around 15 yards or less. Just wondering if it is kind of an inherent disadvantage of bullpups at HFT.

"Taipan" ... IIRC thinking the SH is currently @ 2.7"
As such the zero range calibrates too @ 31 yards
Hold over at 10 yards is something 5.2 mil

So YES INDEED a high scope mounting makes all your inside ZR shots super critical for correct hold amounts. In "Hunter" at 16X you had better have a scope that snaps in/out well at these closer ranges !!! If not you will be giving up otherwise doable shots.

On the RAW I'm set up a lot lower at @ 2.1" SH, Zr @ 26y and the 10Y hold is about 3 mil

Huge difference in the hold profiles near to far :rolleyes:

My FX Impact SH is 3.95" in hopes of reducing ranging errors at 50 and 55 yds. Near shots suffer, but my 10y hold is 20MOA... which I have no problem making.

High scope has been kind to my scores.
I've found the same Thane.

When I set up the BRK Ghost for sub 20fpe field target use, I was quite surprised to see how that high scope stretched out the zero, and how little hold over I needed for 50-55 yard shots. But like Scott says, those 10-15 yard shots need a lot more holdover.

Reactions: thane
Yes indeed .... Classic WORLD case in point.
12 FPE shooting is Loopy, very loopy in trajectory and a High/er scope indeed flattens out the far shots making the likelihood of finding the KZ hole a tad better.
Now said with WFTF guys threw out the world there shooting High X mag optics. We all know as X mag goes higher the DOF (Depth of Field) get shallower.
These sets ups of High X mag range so damn well & especially up close the range estimation is quite accurate and with good D.O.P.E. not an issue for most being most are turret clicking anyway.

For a Hunter shooter at 16X, many scopes folks use where they do well out past 40y are somewhat spongy/vague 13y and under. ( Hawke Sindwinders & Airmaxs for instance)

I'm just saying HIGH optics positions have there place in the AG games we play, tho some times more is not better :cautious:

Reactions: thane
So this is probably pushing it... SH 6"
0.5 MOA between 50 and 55yds...
Dead man friendly...
off hand, not so much and the 35 MOA hold at 10yds... ouch.
IMG_4015.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: RScott and qball
Sometimes it helps to remind yourself what it too far, through demonstration... a bad idea born out.

Ya, still shooting the FrankenSwede, but I am working up a new to me USFT and I have a blister on my thumb to prove it.
That's awesome that you picked up a USFT. Not many can look past their aesthetics to truly see what they're capable of.

Blister from pushing pellets into the barrel? My leade isn't that tight.

I've found the same Thane.

When I set up the BRK Ghost for sub 20fpe field target use, I was quite surprised to see how that high scope stretched out the zero, and how little hold over I needed for 50-55 yard shots. But like Scott says, those 10-15 yard shots need a lot more holdover.
I like to get the scope as low as possible. My Marauder pistol and old Marauder rifle were setup at 1.75" high. My Skyhawk is at 1.93" and that is as low as I can get my head down for positional shots (and no magazine in the way). I'm setting up a Delta Wolf for 20fpe FT. It's very much like a Ghost, I have it at 2.55" using a lower rail, and low mounts. And I have the factory cheekpiece removed so I can get my head low enough for the positional shots. Still more holdover than I like on the close shots.