Taipan Vet Compact in 25 cal and shot count vs energy

Which do you prefer from your gun....shot count or energy output when pesting?

Yesterday I when I went out for some pesting I slowed my 25 cal Taipan Vet Compact down to shoot around 30 ft/lbs. For shooting outside around a dairy 30 ft/lbs is more than enough energy to take out pretty much any pest you shall encounter there, IMHO. The sparrows learned this lesson. 

Anyways, I know Taipan reported energy output for the Taipan Vet Compact in 25 is around 42/43 ft/lbs and this is supposed to give you around 25-30 useable shots. However, personally I found backing off a few ft/lbs increases the shot count which for most situations for me, is a plus and worth it. Yesterday, mainly due to poor me, I went though 4 mags with a 25-33% connection rate (me not gun is to blame). From 250ish bar after 40 shots I was at 150ish bar. (Yes laugh and yes I need to improve my aim, but few shots were into the round .)

I know some people are totally into energy output, but honestly, give me what I need plus 10% and I am happy. For all pests I had complete pass through with the JSB 25.34 gr. King Heavy.

Shot count for me, and not just in pesting but in all my pcp uses (paper, field target, pests, plinking, etc). 

I think it started with being a hand pump pcp shooter. Have compressor and tanks now, but still like the idea of being conservative with that high pressure air. 

My Vet Short has been right under 20fpe for 99% of its life, mostly as a .22, but as a .20 for the past 6 or so months. Around 90 shots above the reg pressure from a 24inch gun is SWEEEET!

My Vet Long is set up to shoot the 25.39gr Monster RDs (.22) @ 40fpe and even though it puts me at a disadvantage over the guys I'm competing with that are shooting them 100fps faster, I'm still resistant to cranking up the power, simply cuz I like the relatively high shot count. About 45, 40fpe shots as it sits right now. 

Even my unregulated USFT is pretty stingy on air usage. I have to connect it to top off every 45-50 shots but I just use a little 19cf SCUBA tank right next to me. I don't even know how many shots I can get outa that 19cf tank with that low pressure gun but I'd guess it's somewhere north of a full #500 tin and south of 1000 shots. 

Easier cocking, less wear on parts, more shots for the same amount of air, are all thoughts I have about not maxing out fpe of a given gun to the limit of what it's capable of. Kinda like an engine, they don't live long at redline before something breaks. 

Yea, I went for shot count on my Uragan Its out of the box stock have not messed with it 10.3 gr at about a tick over 900 FPS, 13 gr at 800 something FPS The 16 gr lobbing out at a high 700 FPS,,, Shot count a guess here Its going to be about 400 shots per 4500 PSI fill,,, Just ordered extra CARM Magazines bringing the total to seven Magazines, Of course my Vulcan 2 uses the same magazine, HeeHaw I am set.....

Mike

Haven’t done much pesting, but I agree with the others on shot count. Especially considering that I’ve watched numerous videos of British shooters pesting with 12 fpe (ratting mostly). 100+ shots at 23-25 fpe is satisfactory for my .25 Brocock. If there are a lot of pest animals the last thing I’d want to have to worry about is stopping to refill. Reloading and relieving myself are the only times I’d want to have to worry about stopping. 

Hunting, now that is a different story. 

I always try to find that balance point with a gun. If I buy a gun with a small air tube or tank, I know it’s not going to be my cannon. When I bought my Taipan, it was back when the compact was first introduced. After talking with the guys at R&L, I knew the .22 standard was going be the best option for me. The compact was cool and what I originally wanted but I don’t regret not buying it. If I wanted a .25, I would jump up to the long. Like I said, for me it’s all about balancing shot count and power. That’s probably why Taipan introduced the long.

I see only one issue with cranking way down on the HST. If you get the tune way out of balance, your accurate shot count will not be as great as it would be if the reg set point was also reduced. And I think the same might be true with air consumption as well, but I'm getting a little out of my depth here with tuning knowledge. Going from 45 to 30 fpe is a reduction of around 35%. I believe that translates to around a 15% reduction in velocity. Assuming your best tune might be at 95-97% of a given HST, this gets pretty far off. Again, I don't know all the related effects, but if it's a long term change, I expect a lower reg set point would be to your benefit.

I see only one issue with cranking way down on the HST. If you get the tune way out of balance, your accurate shot count will not be as great as it would be if the reg set point was also reduced. And I think the same might be true with air consumption as well, but I'm getting a little out of my depth here with tuning knowledge. Going from 45 to 30 fpe is a reduction of around 35%.

+1 

You can't just turn out the hammer spring adjuster... it's all about balance