Taipan Taipan Vet 2 Tactical with slow leak

I have a new Taipan Vet 2 tactical that has developed a slow leak. It is the 700mm version in .22. I can fill it up - I did 250 bar then 215 bar - and let it sit and in 4-5 hours or overnight the pressure is under 50 bar but not to 0. I got the gun from Tony and told him and he said to try the soapy bubbles around the pressure gauge. Has anyone else had this problem? And what is the best "soapy water" fluid to use as I have never had to do this before? I'm guessing that I could use soapy water and then clean and lube the hell out of it when I'm done. I also saw in another forum that someone said to put a balloon at the end of the barrel to see if it's leaking there - have not done that yet either. Thanks for all the help!

I have a new Taipan Vet 2 tactical that has developed a slow leak. It is the 700mm version in .22. I can fill it up - I did 250 bar then 215 bar - and let it sit and in 4-5 hours or overnight the pressure is under 50 bar but not to 0. I got the gun from Tony and told him and he said to try the soapy bubbles around the pressure gauge. Has anyone else had this problem? And what is the best "soapy water" fluid to use as I have never had to do this before? I'm guessing that I could use soapy water and then clean and lube the hell out of it when I'm done. I also saw in another forum that someone said to put a balloon at the end of the barrel to see if it's leaking there - have not done that yet either. Thanks for all the help!
Easy fix....you have to bleed all the air out. Taipan has a video showing this. It's the first o-ring after you take the bottle off.

Reactions: Pfddi
Screenshot_2024-05-01-11-49-28-89_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Part 135 which they give you the spare orings....

Reactions: Pfddi
You can use most any fluid to find the leak. I like to use some type of oil if I can get it to the site I want to check. Since it has no natural bubbles, a leak will show up clearly. Balloon over the muzzle will indicate a leak from the valve, but I doubt if that is your problem. Since it's new, you can also just send it back to Tony.

@elh0102 - I figured that if I cannot find the leak and change out an o-ring, then I can send it back to Tony. I can buy a lot of o-rings for just the shipping cost back to Tony! This gun is so straight forward in its design that I should certainly be able to change out a problem o-ring(s)! Half the fun of the PCPs is the ability to take apart, maintain, and modify them. The shooting is just a bonus! LOL

Last edited:
@Gerry52 - Will do. I've had it out about 4 times and maybe 150 shots so far with both pellets and slugs. Haven't found which slugs it likes best yet but the JSB/FX 25.4g it shoots great out to 100 yards. I put some 18.1g JSBs in it and the first shot scared me as it went out at 1090fps with a "crack" I was not expecting! The 25.4s are averaging 940fps. The stock moderator does a great job and it's nice to get a gun with a moderator as part of the package instead of an extra ~$200 for one!

Reactions: Gerry52
I've been really curious about the Vet2 tactical. Keep us posted after everything is working right. I'd like to hear some real world experience.
Really great gun!!! Some people just don't like the looks of them but that doesn't better me. Took mine to the range the other day with my Ghost. I didn't even shoot the Ghost...shot the Taipan the whole time at 100 yards!!! Was going to take my FX DRS to shoot tomorrow but might take the Taipan again....here is a older picture.....25cal 700mm barrel likes the JSB KO slugs
20240130_153659.jpg

@Bud-sc I know how you feel. For the short time I've shot the gun, it is just a pleasure to shoot and like you said some folks don't care for the looks, but if you already have a bullpup then you don't mind and it does shoulder exceptionally well. The only gun I have which has a better trigger - which is hard to believe - is my Red Wolf.
Went out today shot it at a 100 yards... 5 shot groups those 25cal JSB KO slugs are hard to beat....
IMG20240502152414.jpg
IMG20240502152412.jpg