Taipan Taipan vet 2 bene's

First, let's get the 1 downfall out of the way - no anti double load! I know, because if they had it, the vet 1 would fade into history quickly. Instead, I wish to concentrate on the benefits, or "bene's". Beside the well functioning side lever is the ease of servicing this edition. This is the EASIEST gun to maintain, service, polish the barrel or just about anything else. The major improvement over the vet 1 is the ease of reassembly and not having to worry about the placement of the brackets the vet 1 has. If you ever owned a vet 1, you know what I am saying. want to pull the barrel to polish it, minutes to disassemble and then reassemble. Way faster than the vet 1. want to adjust the reg? many times faster than the vet 1. The reg is the same as the vet 1 in design and adjustment, NOT DIAMETER! But to pull it, readjust it and reassemble it took me 15 minutes beginning to end. This gets habit forming. Now I'm not crapping on the vet 1 , not at all, just showing much love , and deserved love to the vet 2.

Just me , but I don't ever plan on taking regs out or the barrels off either of my Vets 1 . They both came tuned for heavier pellets . The .22 pushes a 18g pellet at 920 fps. And the .177 likes the 10.5 g or 10.3 at 890 fps . Hammer spring adjustment allows a wide range of pellets without killing the SD.
When I first saw the New model all I could think about getting a new Veteran Standard 1 in .22 before they are gone . I didn't have the .22 for long before I wanted to get a compact .177 , again before their gone. I absolutely liked the design, the power , accuracy, and the solid clamped down barrel and the sweet quiet shot cycle. Having the anti double load feature is something no other pcp offers. And the big one for me was the weight. Mine are for pesting and I didn't want another tactical looking heavy pcp.

I think the new Vet 2 is a awesome pcp. And is a new , different version of Taipans excellent engineering. It might shoot slugs better or even be more accurate. That won't bother me one bit. I'm more than happy with my old models.

The thing I like most about my standard and shorty is they are no longer for sale. And can you even get a v2 .177 Vet compact ?

I rest my case.

Understood, The vet 2 only comes in the original "long" dimensions, or the 700mm bench version. They feel that the compacts were not very popular.

I'm interested seeing some groups at 50 or 100 yards . Your Vet 2 is probably as capable as anything on the market accuracy wise. What's its preferred pellet and have you tried slugs ? I think they have un-choked barrels ? I have a Mav for tinkering and purchased the Taipans for set it and forget it pcp.

I shot my best .177 vet 5 shot group at 50y a few days ago .

20240317_120243.jpg

Well, I don't have any real palatable range access. But my vet 2 in 22 likes the 25.4g MRD and the 28.5g Grands the best. Haven't been able to power it up high enough to push slugs in the 920-970 FPS range which this barrel should like. but the power is not there. Can't add a plenum because of configuration with factory mod, maybe reg set at 160-165 bar and a heavy hammer spring. To me, it's a 44 foot pound energy pellet slinger.

My vet .22 is in the 34 fpe range and does great with pellets. I turned my hammer spring down for less velocity on both .

I've been trying to get slugs to group with the Mav . Shooting 25g H&N slugs at around 910 fps . And after around 220 slugs fired I'm finally getting acceptable accuracy. I always shoot targets or steel when tuning. So it's still fun.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the accuracy when you get a chance to dial it in. That side lever will come in handy on the bench. Along with the floating barrel.