Tuning Taipan Shorty shot count

20 is pretty low for a Shorty. Try dialing the hammer spring tension back some and see if you can get it down to 880-890.

I make valve and hammers for them, but I set them up to get closer to 35 shots at around 31FPE (~40 with Huma regulators).

If you're able to shoot 16gr, it's possible to double / triple/ quadruple that shot count with different tunes.

20 is pretty low for a Shorty. Try dialing the hammer spring tension back some and see if you can get it down to 880-890.

I make valve and hammers for them, but I set them up to get closer to 35 shots at around 31FPE (~40 with Huma regulators).

If you're able to shoot 16gr, it's possible to double / triple/ quadruple that shot count with different tunes.

Is that the gold knob on very back of gun ?

I have never messed with any thing on my pcp's, I just shoot them the way they come,

What is the low end of the regulator from factory?

20 shots is way too low for your Vet. I have a .25 compact and I’m getting 30 shots with 25.4 grain with speeds in the 880’s which is right round 44 foot pounds of energy. My air tube is the same size as yours, so something isn’t right. I would start by backing off the hammer spring which is the brass adjustment knob you are talking about. Make sure you back out the allen head retaining bolt on the left side, this keeps the hammer spring adjuster from being easily moved. Insert the two pins that should have come with your rifle and move about 1/8 of a turn counter clockwise. Then shoot it over a chronograph and see where it’s at. I would suggest around 880 FPS. I would do small adjustments until you get it where you want it. Tip - If you need to increase the velocity by turning clockwise, the rifle will be hard to cock if you went too far. Definitely back it off some if this happens. See my pic below for reference on the instructions above.

7511DDBB-132D-48C8-85EE-836F237B925A.1630952023.jpeg

20 shots is way too low for your Vet. I have a .25 compact and I’m getting 30 shots with 25.4 grain with speeds in the 880’s which is right round 44 foot pounds of energy. My air tube is the same size as yours, so something isn’t right. I would start by backing off the hammer spring which is the brass adjustment knob you are talking about. Make sure you back out the allen head retaining bolt on the left side, this keeps the hammer spring adjuster from being easily moved. Insert the two pins that should have come with your rifle and move about 1/8 of a turn counter clockwise. Then shoot it over a chronograph and see where it’s at. I would suggest around 880 FPS. I would do small adjustments until you get it where you want it. Tip - If you need to increase the velocity by turning clockwise, the rifle will be hard to cock if you went too far. Definitely back it off some if this happens. See my pic below for reference on the instructions above.

7511DDBB-132D-48C8-85EE-836F237B925A.1630952023.jpeg

Cannonball,

Thank you

mine was a .22 short... 45 shots per fill (235-110bar), jsbs flying at 815 fps avg

That's a great shot count, just seems a little slow to me for knock down. I may play with mine a little more and try it lower.

Out of curiosity, what are you hunting with yours (and average to max distances)?

mine was a .22 short... 45 shots per fill (235-110bar), jsbs flying at 815 fps avg

That's a great shot count, just seems a little slow to me for knock down. I may play with mine a little more and try it lower.

Out of curiosity, what are you hunting with yours (and average to max distances)?

Largest would be rabbit and armadillos out to 40. Squirrel and chippers out to 60.

Its a short barrel, i found 820 the best spot for 18.1 gr pellets, i never found a pellet on pigeons that i shoot at 90-100 meters, so it was enough energy for me!!

That is a goog distance.

When shooting pellets you should worry more about shot placement than high speeds…. In order to transfer more energy, you can try polymags, they were very accurate out of my veteran short, also they flew 30 fps more than 18gr jsb (polymags are 16gr). 

check them out in my instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/BY8d6P7Ay_S/?utm_medium=copy_link

Thanks for sharing the info and hope you love your shorty as much as I do !