• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Taipan on the way what should I have to try?

Well I finally ordered a Taipan standard 22. I filled out the order several times over the last few weeks but finally hit buy this morning. I need to know what height rings most are using I know everyones neck and build are different. But I want to have some available. I think I have a sightron that has high rings on it in the Garrage of of my another air rifle. And what 22 pellets would be good to have on hand to try?

I have Warne Highs, which are .525" or about 13.5mm rail to scope on a 50mm objective scope. About as low as I can get to the rail due to the ocular lens. The objective is well past the rail, but the ocular is not. This is based on me liking about 9.5" from the ocular lens to the butt of my guns. So if you want to hug the rail, any ring that is 13-15mm from rail to bottom of scope will get you there. Monster RD's are what I shoot in my Long. Most shoot JSB's and shoot them well. Congrats, you'll love it.

Sparky, congrats on the Veteran! I don't think you'll be at all unhappy with it. Both of mine (std. and long) are .25's, but basic set up is the same as yours. I use Vortex high mount rings and they work well for me. I shoot JSB's most of the time and haven't tried slugs yet, so can't help you there. Have DonnyFL Ronin on both of them, but you might not need/want a moderator with the .22.

Pending scopes TUBE LENGTH between Ocular and Objective bells

Pending scopes required position to give correct Ocular eye box distancing

Pending if you the shooter is Long in Neck or Short which changes your head slump against receiver to view said scope

ALL MATTER and there is no one shoe ( ring height ) that fits all ..... SORRY.

here a picture of my 2 TAIPANS with different type scopes. Note HEIGHT and scope position changes required for each.

DSCF0933_50.1605892460.jpg

Sparky, if you intend to shoot mostly 75+ yards, whichever the scope you choose, and even with the the Taipan 20MOA head start I would recommend that you consider shimming your scope. At 104 yards my 8x32 Airmax is 3-4 elevation clicks from maxed out on my .22 Long. It is dead nuts on so I have not shimmed it yet, BUT it is so close to the end of its adjustment it is going to get shimmed. With Taipans never shifting POI and proven capable of shooting MOA at 100 it is just HARD to take it apart to shim it and risk messing it up! By way of illustration, I shimmed my .25 Long with the 8x32 Discovery on it. Dead center adjusted on both dials, without any adjustment, It didn't come back down through dead center elevation until 61 yards. (Stayed 3/4inch left all the way from 15 yards out to 75: i didn't even adjust that.) I've got 2 1/2 revolutions to bring it back up through the bullseye out to the 100 I like to shoot. My scope will be happier that way, not all twisted up. I will be too. Your flatter-shooting .22 will really like you shimming it! Those rings pictured above are the ones I use on my Taipans too.

Taipan: Shoot, Smile, Repeat!

Hi OldSparky,

I use the Picatinny rings rather than the Weaver rings. Clamp screws are a bit nicer on the Picatinny (read a little bigger). Anyway, if you have lower Weaver or Picatinny rings, I've added an additional 20 MOA riser on my Long to really reach out there. There must be bunches of the rails out there. I've attached a few photos for inspiration. Funny. I've never run out of "down" :)

Enjoy the new hardware,

Nugria

20 moa.1606197413.JPG

utg20.1606197661.JPG