Taipan Mutant/Veteran and slugs

Here is some data I've collected shooting 5 shot groups at 104 yards. I'm settling on the NSA 19, 21 and 23 grain slugs. The Varmint Knockers are just as good, but with the huge price decrease in the NSA slugs coming soon, I will be focusing on them. All projectiles were fired at 900 fps except the 27 and 28 grain NSA slugs. My gun couldn't sling those slugs 900 fps so the data for them was collected shooting them as fast as the gun could.

My .22 Veteran Long prefers shooting NSA 19 ,21, and 23 grain slugs vs. the heavier versions. The 23 grain version is currently holding the edge over the other weights, but that could change as I collect more data.

The velocity is a little faster with the .217 diameter slugs vs. the .218 diameter. I don't see much statistical difference in the accuracy between the 2 diameters but shoot the .217 diameter because I think they will fowl the barrel less quickly.

1566862786_17156780225d646dc202fa35.27210815_results.PNG

Here is some data I've collected shooting 5 shot groups at 104 yards. I'm settling on the NSA 19, 21 and 23 grain slugs. The Varmint Knockers are just as good, but with the huge price decrease in the NSA slugs coming soon, I will be focusing on them.

My .22 Veteran Long prefers shooting NSA 19 ,21, and 23 grain slugs vs. the heavier versions. The 23 grain version is currently holding the edge over the other weights, but that could change as I collect more data.

The velocity is a little faster with the .217 diameter slugs vs. the .218 diameter. I don't see much statistical difference in the accuracy between the 2 diameters but shoot the .217 diameter because I think they will fowl the barrel less quickly.

1566862786_17156780225d646dc202fa35.27210815_results.PNG

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At what velocity range do you find the NSA slugs to be the most accurate?

Your Taipan Veteran Long does have the CZ barrel, right?

I fear my Veteran Standard .22 cal is not capable of propelling the available slugs fast enough to produce acceptable accuracy.

Now, the Taipan Veteran Long .25 cal with the LW barrel --- totally different story, at 900-920 fps. The rifle appears to be designed expressly for the NSA 34 slugs. I believe the base of this slug is concave.

I haven't played with the velocity range yet. I'm shooting them all at 900 fps. I'm trying to collect enough data on each slug and decide on just one before I tune to that slug's best velocity. 

The Long does have the CZ barrel. The standard Taipan should be able to shoot up to 40 FPE with max hammer spring tension. This shoots the 19 and 21 grain slugs above 900 fps and the 23 grain in the 880 range.

I have a stronger hammer spring in my long because I found that the gun stopped cocking before I reached max velocity by adjusting the hammer spring. I had a standard Veteran for a short time and found the velocity hit its plateau before reaching the max tension, so doubt getting a tighter spring would help. The standard was shooting the 19, 21, and 23 grain slugs as well as my Veteran Long is. I think you'll get good results with both the 19 or 21 gr. slugs and have plenty of adjustment to tune velocity for both.

Right now I'm leaning towards sticking with the 21 grain slugs because the gun seems to shoot them about as well as the 23 grain but I get more shots per fill. If I go the 19 grain route, I'll probably need to lower my reg pressure a tad because the velocity of the lighter pellets starts to creep up as the gun goes off the reg. No such problem with the 21 or 23 grain. I really don't want to adjust the reg pressure.

I'm looking to get some of the avs slugs amd nsa. I've seen a few people menNSA. The avs and nova doing well. In my tp long .22 I shot a 10 shot string that averaged 904 fps with the jsb 25.4 lost light and chrono stopped reading. I am all stock and dont have spring maxed out. But that's 46fpe. I am interested to see if they shoot better or faster or just retain energy or transfer energy better.

How did yours do with the jsb monster 25.4 similar speeds I assume? Did you have to adjust your zero a lot? From the pellets I imagine the slugs shoots way flatter, but I'm just mentally preparing on what I will have to do to get ready for testing.

I'm waiting on new cards I got hit by a credit card skimmer and the bank froze my accounts and I got that sorted and are sending new cards, now I'm impatiently waiting. 

The JSB 25.43 at 900 fps seems MORE accurate than any slug if the wind is calm. The slugs take the advange as the wind kicks up or as the distance increases from there. My .22 long likes the .217 size so far, but I suspect that it will actually prefer a .216 because the barrel choke seems tight. So far the AVS shoot better and with higher velocity than the NSA. My pellet gauge tells me that the AVS diamter is closer to .2165 than the .217 NSA. Once the NSA prices go down I'll use the NSA pellets exclusively, though. 

The elevation difference at 100 yards is only 1.5 to 2 MOA difference between the slugs and JSB at 900 fps. The trajectory is the same at first, but the pellets slow down faster than the slugs which accounts for the 1.5 to 2 MOA difference. Not much really. I keep my zero at 27.4 yards (25m) and dial the distance. It is 13.5 MOA above my zero for the slugs at the 104 yards distance from bench to target at my local range.

I haven't played with the velocity range yet. I'm shooting them all at 900 fps. I'm trying to collect enough data on each slug and decide on just one before I tune to that slug's best velocity. 

The Long does have the CZ barrel. The standard Taipan should be able to shoot up to 40 FPE with max hammer spring tension. This shoots the 19 and 21 grain slugs above 900 fps and the 23 grain in the 880 range.

I have a stronger hammer spring in my long because I found that the gun stopped cocking before I reached max velocity by adjusting the hammer spring. I had a standard Veteran for a short time and found the velocity hit its plateau before reaching the max tension, so doubt getting a tighter spring would help. The standard was shooting the 19, 21, and 23 grain slugs as well as my Veteran Long is. I think you'll get good results with both the 19 or 21 gr. slugs and have plenty of adjustment to tune velocity for both.

Right now I'm leaning towards sticking with the 21 grain slugs because the gun seems to shoot them about as well as the 23 grain but I get more shots per fill. If I go the 19 grain route, I'll probably need to lower my reg pressure a tad because the velocity of the lighter pellets starts to creep up as the gun goes off the reg. No such problem with the 21 or 23 grain. I really don't want to adjust the reg pressure.

Where did you get a stronger hammer spring from? I am looking for a stronger spring for my .25 cal Veteran Long. I have tried some different springs but can't find the correct size to fit over the hammer weight.

Sorry for the late reply. I didn't see your post.

I bought mine online from thespringstore.com.

This is the one I bought for my .22 cal: PC074-480-9000-MW-1250-CG-N-IN

The biggest problem ordering from them is there is a $40 minimum order and ridiculous shipping costs. I ordered an extra of the spring I wanted as well as a spring to try in another gun to get to the minimum order. I'd have preferred to find a cheaper way.

Well that seals it for me. I'm going to grab some .217 and see what happens.

Update: I finally for ro set up and do some chrono testing. I don't have a spot I can just set up and leave a table chairs and get enough distance close to the house which is where I want to be when testing so I am closer to the compressor.

I shot about 20 shots then decided to pull out the chrono. I thought I was coming off the regulator at around 25-30 shots. Well I shot another 2 mags all within a few fps of 880 with the 25.4 jsb.

I shoot another mag drop to 865fps for 2 or 3 shots. That's when I always stopped thinking that was it. But that day I kept shooting had plenty of time.

Then back up to 8880-87fps and after around 60 shots I started dropping in fps. I've just been filling mine up to to 3650psi ,250 bar if memory serves whatever the upper end of the rated working pressure is. I know its 3650psi just forget what that translates too In bars.

Idk if maybe that's why it was shooting hot those first few. When I posted earlier saying it was 904 fps.

Everything is factory set except hammer spring. What fill pressure are you guys using and shooting too? I am kind of new to fine tuning I can get it good now trying to really dial it in.

Nielsen now has 24.8 grain and 23 and the other sizes he already carried but now has a new automatic press so labor cost has dropped and so you can get 350, .217, 23gr, .22 for 25 dollars (shipping included) which ain't bad at all considering you pay that for 500 USB hades with shipping. And used to pay 21 or 22 dollars for 100 of his slugs. I can't wait to get out their and see what they can do. Especially on some grays.

These have a better bc and if you have a gun that can push em fast enough or likes them you could have plenty to sight in set ranges for and have enough left to hunt all season depending on how in depth you want to go with testing. I went with the lighter slugs in case I had to push them a bit faster then the 25.4gr monsters since I'm pushing those monsters pretty hard already idk how much more I can get with the stock taipan long setup.

Unfortunately I can't really get out and do any testing because my brother, wife and nephew came to visit. Family first. Hopefully we will get out tomorrow and I can start teaching my nephew the basics of fire arm safety and shooting, got him a pumper but haven't shown him yet.