• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Taipan Mutant .22 - You're Still the One

I noticed that my go to rifle, the Taipan Mutant .22, was acting a little strange so with a little investigation, I found that the speed was creeping up and up. Not being a guru, I figured the regulator was on the fritz. I don't have any way to check the pressure so I decided after all the years to get a HUMA regulator. It arrived, the stars all aligned and I got 2 great days of weather here in January.

The original regulator said "146" on it so I set my HUMA at 140 bar and installed it with no problem. I was able to shoot several magazines but something still seemed "off". The sound wasn't right and the chrony wasn't acting the way I thought it should. Too much air being used. Then I discovered that I was losing air from the breech seal. After a short struggle replacing that o-ring, I was back out shooting and everything was much better. I finally got the accuracy and speed I wanted, but not without considerable time spent. I'm now at 890 fps instead of 920 before and making WAY better use of air. The accuracy? It's better than I can shoot!

Last edited:
Still have my Mutant .22 as well ... Such a GREAT shooter excelling with Crosman 14.3 domes or JSB hades at @ 930'ish
60/65 shots on a 250 bar fill is fantastic.
The Mutant was my 3rd ever PCP after a Marauder rifle then pistol. I've had 4 since and I still pick the Mutant for most shooting. I haven't tested my shot count since the HUMA upgrade but I think it's around 70 shots @ 890 with JSB 18.13. Whether that's great or not I'm not sure but I'm happy with it!

Reactions: igolfat8