• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Taipan Manufacturers - When are you going to make a forward cocking side lever?

This talk of a forward lever has made me curious. So, as Jethro might say, I've been studyin' on it. I don't see a good way to do it without adding bulk to an already clunky rifle. You have to add a linkage, and a pivot point for it. To remain on the same plain, as it should, then it ends up outboard of the air cylinder. I'm no expert, but with his 5th grade education, I believe Jethro might choose to leave it alone.

This talk of a forward lever has made me curious. So, as Jethro might say, I've been studyin' on it. I don't see a good way to do it without adding bulk to an already clunky rifle. You have to add a linkage, and a pivot point for it. To remain on the same plain, as it should, then it ends up outboard of the air cylinder. I'm no expert, but with his 5th grade education, I believe Jethro might choose to leave it alone.

Based on what you said Ed, sounds like the Taipan engineers and development techs may have already come to this same conclusion. May not be practical or technically feasible, but I don’t know enough to comment one way or another. 

I would however love to hear something directly from the Manufacturer, but I’m not holding my breath. It would be informative and of interest to many I believe, based on the two threads I posted attempting to engage them on responding. 

It's very feasible, maybe even easy from a design and production standpoint. My guess, they just don't see the need, from a business perspective. They have gained an excellent reputation for building a simple, dependable rifle, and it appears they can't keep up with current demand. A forward cocking lever is something many folks apparently like. But, why spend the money on a new rifle, if your production is at capacity and profit is acceptable? Just my guess.

There was an Edgun R3 for sale recently a member did a side lever conversion on and seemed very well done...

So I am sure the Vet wouldn't be much difference.

I know some guys are avid no rear cocking no matter what but I guess I look at accuracy and build quality more so than ONE feature that may not be exactly what I want.

If I can get 50 shots at 60 FPE and MOA or better at 100 yards in a quiet easy to handle gun that is rock solid and all I have to do is move my hand 7 inches back....Seems like a no brainer to me.

There was an Edgun R3 for sale recently a member did a side lever conversion on and seemed very well done...

I know some guys are avid no rear cocking no matter what but I guess I look at accuracy and build quality more so than ONE feature that may not be exactly what I want.

If I can get 50 shots at 60 FPE and MOA or better at 100 yards in a quiet easy to handle gun that is rock solid and all I have to do is move my hand 7 inches back....Seems like a no brainer to me.

Hey Mike

Your last sentence. Did you really mean to say this?

If I can get some occasional 5 shot 100 yard groups at MOA or better, it is a truly good outing. I’m not sure If I know anyone who can shoot “50 shots at 100 yards and outdoors with wind, at 100 yards and at MOA or BETTER!!”

In fact, I doubt if the best Benchrest shooters in the world would claim this. Fifty shots at 100 yards and MOA is the equivalent of two 100 yard EBR cards at 240+++ or better outdoors. 

I agree... I don't own one, but would like to in the future. I do wish that they would offer a "true" synthetic stock version of it (not just a stock that is painted black). The wood stocks are pretty but a nice synthetic stock with some grip texture at a lower price than the Minelli stocks would be nice. 

Hey Mike

Your last sentence. Did you really mean to say this?

If I can get some occasional 5 shot 100 yard groups at MOA or better, it is a truly good outing. I’m not sure If I know anyone who can shoot “50 shots at 100 yards and outdoors with wind, at 100 yards and at MOA or BETTER!!”

In fact, I doubt if the best Benchrest shooters in the world would claim this. Fifty shots at 100 yards and MOA is the equivalent of two 100 yard EBR cards at 240+++ or better outdoors. 

I think he means that the rifle can get 50 shots overall between fills and also be capable of doing sub-moa at 100yds for probably a 5 shot group. I don't think anyone here can get a 50 shot group sub moa at 100yds.

Yeah, somewhere in Checholasvakia the now owners of the rights to produce Taipans are reading this thread and thinking to themselves, "Vy banda oprávněných Američanů mi můžete políbit prdel! Budu stavět tyto Taipans však chci postavit! A víš co? Dám prodat všechny z nich, a budu dělat hezký kapitalistický zisk. Je mi u prdele, jestli si jeden koupíš nebo ne!"

Tonykarter, That may be precisely what they are thinking, however when other manufacturers continue to advance and Taipans mindset remains what you posted in Czech they begin to loose relevance in the industry which soon leads to NO SALES. 

Translation:

"Vy banda oprávněných Američanů může políbit můj zadek! Budu stavět tyto Taipans však th 'kurva chci postavit je! A víš co? Prodám je všechny a vydělám pořádek kapitalistický zisk. Je mi u prdele, jestli si jeden koupíš nebo ne!"

You bunch of legitimate Americans can kiss my ass! I will build these Taipans however the '**** I want to build them! And you know what? I sell them all and I earn capitalist profit. I don't care if you buy one or not

No sales. Of Taipans. Surely you jest. The Taipan is the Kalashnikov of airguns. Yeah, you heard that here first. I hereby coin that phrase. Monogrammed teeshirts available here tomorrow. Anyway...as we were discussing...No sales of Taipans? The corners of my mouth curl in a slight grin. SIXTY THREE YEARS hence, Kalashnikov succeeds without major design changes and continues to to be the most widely exported AND production licensed rifle in the world. BECAUSE Kalashnikov. Taipan will too, for the same reason: Because Taipan.

However, unlike Kalashnikov's business model, Taipan has chosen to adhere to limited production to constrict supply. I do not see demand for Taipans being curtailed by lack of innovation on Taipan's part, or them flooding the market and satisfying that demand. There is a demand-pull for every Taipan produced, far into the future, regardless of their innovation, design change or their competitor's advancements. Call any of the distributors and ask how many of the Taipans in the pipeline are already sold. Call any of Taipan's competitors and ask them if they envy Taipan's status and position in the market, or their cult-like owner loyalty. T

As for Taipan "new innovation" going forward...similar to as I would regarding the AK-47, I would ask, "How you gonna' really and truly improve on that?" More likely, any significant design change might be a regression of sorts, altering what makes a Taipan a Taipan. Maybe it would make the original Taipan only more desirable and valuable.

Finally, and again invoking the AK-47 here, WTSHTF, and you can pick up and leave with only one airgun...

Tonykarter, That may be precisely what they are thinking, however when other manufacturers continue to advance and Taipans mindset remains what you posted in Czech they begin to loose relevance in the industry which soon leads to NO SALES. 

Translation:

"Vy banda oprávněných Američanů může políbit můj zadek! Budu stavět tyto Taipans však th 'kurva chci postavit je! A víš co? Prodám je všechny a vydělám pořádek kapitalistický zisk. Je mi u prdele, jestli si jeden koupíš nebo ne!"

You bunch of legitimate Americans can kiss my ass! I will build these Taipans however the '**** I want to build them! And you know what? I sell them all and I earn capitalist profit. I don't care if you buy one or not

I'm not so sure. There was once a car company that made a car that was not only unpopular, but was ridiculed as being noncompetitive, unsafe, and destined to fail. Half century later, that car is still made in the same basic platform, and is the benchmark for all competition.....Porsche 911. Excellence is recognized, and usually will ultimately prevail. 

Ha, obviously I did not mean 50 shots at 100 yards sub MOA....I forget sometimes on here that folks will leap on anything if not completely clear.

Yes 5 shots MOA at 100 absolutely......I am sure many Vet Long owners will state seeing the same accuracy.

10 shots MOA at 100 more often than not....

My post was more to clarify I would gladly deal with rear cocking for that accuracy and power level with the great shot count.

My Impacts will do the same but for considerably more money....Same with my Crowns and Wildcats and RAW airguns....All side lever.

Would I pass up the Veteran based solely on it being rear cocking....NO WAY!

I work on these air guns as a business ... No desire for an FX, or AGT or Kalbrgun or other wizz bang flashy bull pups ... THO DO OWN 2 TAIPANS.

For me ... Nuff said

Scott

Tom ( OP ) here, 

i/we can guess why you own “two” Taipans. Since you do work on many airguns, can you elaborate on what you like the most? Would be helpful for me and possibly others to have your experience and point of view. Have a good idea and guess, but would like your thoughts.

Also, is there anything you would like to see in a future announcement?

Tom

No sales. Of Taipans. Surely you jest. The Taipan is the Kalashnikov of airguns. Yeah, you heard that here first. I hereby coin that phrase. Monogrammed teeshirts available here tomorrow. Anyway...as we were discussing...No sales of Taipans? The corners of my mouth curl in a slight grin. SIXTY THREE YEARS hence, Kalashnikov succeeds without major design changes and continues to to be the most widely exported or production licensed rifle in the world. BECAUSE Kalashnikov. Taipan will too, for the same reason: Because Taipan.

However, unlike Kalashnikov's business model, Taipan has chosen to adhere to limited production to constrict supply. I do not see demand for Taipans being curtailed by lack of innovation on Taipan's part, or them flooding the market and satisfying that demand. There is a demand-pull for every Taipan produced, far into the future, regardless of their innovation, design change or their competitor's advancements. Call any of the distributors and ask how many of the Taipans in the pipeline are already sold. Call any of Taipan's competitors and ask them if they envy Taipan's status and position in the market, or their cult-like owner loyalty.

As for Taipan "new innovation" going forward...similar to as I would regarding the AK-47, I would ask, "How you gonna' really and truly improve on that?" More likely, any significant design change will make the original Taipan only more desirable and valuable.

Finally, and again invoking the AK-47 here, WTSHTF, and you can pick up and leave with only one airgun...

Wouldn't Edgun be the Kalashnikov of airguns? They're pretty robust and literally are Russian ha!

Yeah, you are so very right! I was thinking about Ed the other day. He very well could be Mikhail Kalashnikov reincarnated. I was thinking about just that: the similarities between the two men. Like Kalashnikov, the man is a genius. As Kalashnikov was to assault rifles, so is Ed to airguns. A hundred years from now, well, his place in history is already reserved. If he were to do nothing else going forward, his story is already written. Best part though...he isn't finished and the story continues! I WILL own his product too.

Taipan has an instagram page and will occasionally hint at something big coming in 2021. I suspect that forward/mid cocking is at least one of the big changes coming. 

Yes, there was the Mutant before the Veteran, but I think the only changes made to the Vet were how the barrel attaches to the breech, and the anti-double load feature. Other than those minor changes, the Mutant/Veteran platform has changed very little. Even when they went to Minelli for the laminate stocks, they kept the same profile/shape of the stock. 

Personally, the rear-cocking is not a deal-breaker. I don't even feel like it's a niggle. It doesn't seem or feel awkward or even like a slightly unnatural movement. I've found that it works great to keep the trigger finger/hand on the grip and reach over the top and cock and load (if using single-shot tray) it with my left hand. I considered swapping the lever to the left side since I'm cocking with my left hand but that would put the lever in my cheek, it would also make the gun need to come out from the shoulder more to get enough room for the cocking lever to make its full travel distance. With cocking lever on the right side of the gun and using the left hand to reach over, I can keep the gun shouldered for cocking. 

I think the gripe about rear-cocking is sorta like giving the gun a 9.9 instead of a 10, cuz people just gotta find SOMETHING to keep from saying the gun is perfect. Oh, as long as we're LOOKING for something wrong with the Veteran, let's not forget to say that the stock looks blocky or like a 2x6 or etc etc etc.

Frank

You are forgetting left handed shooters. Just like you, we don’t want the rear side lever in our cheek when we shoot, A forward lever eliminates the problem. 

Lefties can do the opposite of what I do. Swap the cocking lever to the left side and reach over with non-trigger hand to cock. The Veteran stock (and breech since that's where the cheek goes on these guns) is completely symmetrical. 

Without any thumb shelves, cheek swells, finger grooves, or any of the other things that make a gun fit a righty or lefty better, the Veteran is actually probably one of the better designs for a lefty. Especially since the cocking lever can be swapped. Heck, even the mags and single-fed pellets aren't "handed" in that they drop into the breech from above, not right or left like lots of guns. 

Like a lot of things in life though, the only way to know if it suits you is to give it a try. Everybody is different with varying tastes. PERSONALLY, I don't have any issues with the rear-cocking. If someone was to make an aftermarket forward-cocking contraption I wouldn't buy it. Even if Taipan was to come out and say something crazy like we'll mail out a free "upgrade" kit to make all Vets forward-cocking I wouldn't take them up on it. They just cock so smoothly and effortlessly as-is, and it's completely ergonomic for me in its current location, that I don't see this as an area that needs improvement. Again, that's me and my opinion. Obviously many other airgunners consider the rear cocking insufferable b/c this comes up pretty often.

Frank, 

I reread your response as well as some others also. Good additional information and balanced perspective. I suppose moving the side lever over to the left side addresses my concern.

I am looking for a 2nd backyard squirrel/plinking gun ( have an FX Royale 400 .22 ST ) and have been seriously weighing in on buying either a new DS Revere or Weihrauch HW100.

Hmmmmm....this is tempting and I have never owned a BP.