Taipan makes the best dang airgun, period, end of story...

So I've been on a quest to find THE BEST 22 compact airgun for me. In that quest I've purchased several of the best bullpups on the market in the mid/premium category. I've tried the new Vulcan 3 in 500mm, the Cricket 2 Tactical 45 and the Uragan Compact. All three are great in their own ways. I just wasn't digging the ergonomics of the Vulcan 3 but it shoots amazingly well. The Uragan Compact has the ergonomics but something wasn't 100%. The Cricket 2 Tactical is an awesome airgun and I may still keep it as it shoots 1/4" groups @ 42 yards with JSB 18s @ 920 fps. 

With this money spent and 3 seriously awesome airguns in had I still felt I needed to compare it to the Taipan Veteran .22 Shorty. Tony hasn't had this one for a bit and I checked the site and 2 were available. So I bought one. Got a call from Tony to confirm the order - man Tony is awesome to deal with, a really great guy. I had been contemplating a few other things as I saw the Taipan mag holder was in stock (which it never is) along with the biathlon lever and the new reg tester for the AGTs (which is very nice IMO).

Got the Taipan Vet .22 Shorty on Thursday and it's been a love affair since. The most ironic part of the whole thing is this is the same exact model as my first higher end PCP which was recommended to me by @motorhead over on Gateway back in 2018 when I had asked what I should get after the Prod. It really was the right choice then and it still is now. Other than the niggly bits which are the same chunky stock and rear cocking - there is nothing not perfect about the Taipan Veteran. With the biathlon lever, the rear cocking is less a big deal. Chunky or not the stock still fits me well and the big flat fore-end gives plenty of solid wood to mount the pic rail. 

For anyone new to the hobby or old, if you haven't shot or owned a Taipan you are missing out a huge piece of this hobby.

TaipanVet22Shorty - 1.1649553364.jpeg

That's ONE...opinion !

Nice in general, but STILL...have 1980's cocking mechanisms ! Maybe...the next generation, they'll get it right !?

Mike

HAHA - this guy is funny! They got it right for some people, me personally they got it right, many will agree with me. (The lever is not a deal breaker) Id rather have a straight forward gun that doesn't leak and shoots when I pick it up, plus it hits what I aim at when I put my part. 

I have all sorts of airguns, including forward cocking.. I still grab my taipan before I grab anything else. But hey.. to each there own, that's why there are so many brands out there!

That's ONE...opinion !

Nice in general, but STILL...have 1980's cocking mechanisms ! Maybe...the next generation, they'll get it right !?

Mike

I guess no maker can please everyone. Mike, I'm not sure what your issue is with the cocking mechanism, but I have found it totally reliable, and with the best anti-double load design out there. It's the only one I've used with which you can decock and recock without limitation, never having to touch the mag advance system at all. That's a great advantage in a hunting scenario, because you never need to rely on the safety (and I don't, in any rifle). I expect they will make some changes in future generations, but for me, I'm hard pressed to find anything to recommend. It's a heavy beast, and with rotator cuff surgery coming up, I'll be unable to use it for a while, and I'll miss it!

Great post, Sean!

You've made it to the Holy Grail.

Took me a few tries too.

Marauder, Wildcat, Vulcan then BOOM, Taipan Veteran. We have a winner!

Just a heads up: Your other rifles may start to get lonely and possibly sold.

Then another phenomena: Your Taipan collection may start multiplying.

Enjoy the buzz 😎

And thumbs up for the Tatsu. Perfect little mod for the .22 Shorty 👍

@elh0102, I believe the issue many have with cocking lever is not with the mechanism. It's with the ergonomics of the lever all the way in back. Also many of its other attributes apply to other PCPs. I guess that off the bench, the extra monkey motion to cock the Taipan is a non issue. But in the field? Fast follow up shots if needed? We acknowledge its a good/great gun, but the rear cocking is in fact a non starter for many, myself included.

Reactions: mh
@elh0102, I believe the issue many have with cocking lever is not with the mechanism. It's with the ergonomics of the lever all the way in back. Also many of its other attributes apply to other PCPs. I guess that off the bench, the extra monkey motion to cock the Taipan is a non issue. But in the field? Fast follow up shots if needed? We acknowledge its a good/great gun, but the rear cocking is in fact a non starter for many, myself included.

Thanks, and if the rear location bothers you, then it's a valid issue in your personal preference. All my other PCPs are full length rifles with a forward lever. I guess personal shooting style gets involved. I honestly cannot remember an instance of the rear lever costing me a shot at a squirrel. Either way, my shooting position is broken to cock the rifle, but I guess a little more with the Veteran. It's not something I think about.

Reactions: mh
@elh0102, the rear cocking doesn't bother me, I just simply don't consider it an attribute and move along... And yes, personal shooting style or preferences always apply. In some instances you can get a chance at multiple pests. A lever which I can see and easily manipulate without changing my shooting position is an asset in such situations. I understand that the Taipans have solid, well-earned reputations among their users... 

Of course this is my opinion, and other's are free to make their own. But considering the Vet design hasn't changed in years and they are still fully competitive in the market says something. You never see a thread saying I bought a Vet and it's a POS. 

Also, I didn't say perfect. There are guns that a more ergonomic, guns that have more power, higher end barrels, different features, etc. But for an overall rating it's up there. I'd love to see Dana include one in his torture testing.

I got one of the 1st Mutants to hit the US market, WOW , As soon as the Veteran came out I got a 22 also. 

Both are keepers for sure, Now a forward cocking handle and a external adjuster for the regulator and nothing could touch it,, This would be the gun to top all the guns, But as it is it really can not be beat in any way... 

Mike