Taipan Long .25 discovery

Hi all, 

I bought a Taipan Long .25 about 10 months ago. I shot it a bit, but got totally preoccupied by a few other airguns. My long was weird. It would put MK2's at 900 fps into half inch groups, but then, some ridiculous flyer would happen like 2-3 MOA off. It really had me perplexed till now... I finally brought it down to my indoor basement range and started the troubleshooting. 

Shot NSAs, MK1 and MK2, VK 33 gr, Hornets, Kings, H&N hunters... Nothing was consistent. 

Decided to clean the barrel. During, I decided to take a look inside. Def best idea I have had. The factory moderator had seen only a few hundred pellets/slugs, but was absolutely coated in lead dust. So was my Donny Sumo. Something was amok. Looking closely at the factory air strippers, one was bent and clearly clipping. PHUCK!!! 

I took them all out, and tested with the Donny and without. Was definitely the OEM air strippers causing the problem. Tuned it without them, and there we had it. Decided to shoot her without either moderator with MK2's, and sure enough... pellet on pellet 20 yrds. 

So relieved I found the issue. It was utterly frustrating until now. Tweaked the HST. Took it out to 50 yrds with NSA 26.5 gr and MK2's, amazing accuracy... 7 to 10mm groups with both. 

Now thoroughly in love with this gun. 

String is 15 .25 FX Hybrids. Target is 15 at 20 yrds.

1596427461_7293027745f278cc5bbf730.09805441.PNG

1596427489_1130011155f278ce1808ad5.51687655.jpg

1596427517_11470014295f278cfd7c9e91.91898720.jpg

I've got a huggett attached to the factory shroud on my standard .25, and find it to be very quiet. Its even pretty good with the factory shroud removed and just the huggett. I have experienced a clipping problem though. Taking the huggett off and on loosened the shroud a bit. I re tightened the shroud and tightened the set screw and that seems to have solved it.

@Pickzilla this post has eerily good timing to me, as I have experienced similar "flyer" behavior and pellet instability at range with my .22 Long and last night I took off the factory moderator for the first time (after ~1500 shots) and saw a lot of lead residue on the barrel and inside of shroud.

• If it's not too much of a hassle could you post a picture of the damaged factory air strippers? I am not sure what you are referring to exactly. Do you need to take the shroud apart to see this or is it noticeable from looking in shroud with a flashlight?
  • Also, I'm glad that you/we found the issue, but my next question is: now what? Does this constitute warranty repair, or is there a quick fix?

@Pickzilla this post has eerily good timing to me, as I have experienced similar "flyer" behavior and pellet instability at range with my .22 Long and last night I took off the factory moderator for the first time (after ~1500 shots) and saw a lot of lead residue on the barrel and inside of shroud.

• If it's not too much of a hassle could you post a picture of the damaged factory air strippers? I am not sure what you are referring to exactly. Do you need to take the shroud apart to see this or is it noticeable from looking in shroud with a flashlight?
  • Also, I'm glad that you/we found the issue, but my next question is: now what? Does this constitute warranty repair, or is there a quick fix?

Mink, 

Sure I'll get you a pic... bear with me though this weekend is a bear for me. 

Yes you have to take the front cap off the factory moderator (after you remove the mod from the gun). The aluminum rings inside are both baffles and air strippers. Just upend it and let them (gently) fall out. 

No quick fix for me... I would have to try to bend the metal back into place, and I'm sure that would screw it up just as bad or alter airflow dynamics. I only need one factory replacement stripper... I have a feeling it's going to be not so easy to find. 

No real urgency there though, gun is seemingly fine without them in. Took a grey today at 50 yrds with a .25 hybrid... man did that hit with authority. Loving this gun now! 

@YO Not noticing any droop with the Sumo.... unlike when I slapped an Emperor on my 700mm Impact. Ugh. Mis-steak....