Taipan "BlingVet" .22cal Project

That’s not bad but you really should get in touch with 1shot1kill. He gets single hole groups at 300 yards with a P12 . I’m sure he’d be happy to tell you how to polish your barrel like he does. 

Just kidding of course. That is some fine work on an even finer rifle. Sure wish they would come out with a standard rifle and sell them up here in Canada. I’ve never read a negative post about these little beauties. 

Haha! I'll have to take notes from that dude then! 🤣

I appreciate the kind words. There is a higher standard for modifying these Taipans for sure! And do they not import them there because of the moderators?

@mtnGhost

That's a comprehensive "BlingVet" project!

Especially liked:
moderator insert --- makes perfect sense to me
biathalon lever that actually improves a great design --- no snags
speed dialer --- with useful markings
bi-pod rail thru bolts --- super solid and simple
making a custom spring --- neat

The super cool part about all of this is that it looks natural and BELONGS there.

I am definitely a 'Fan Boy' of the Taipan, Veteran long .25 specifically, so I understand the extreme that you went to. If your gonna do all that work it should be on Top Shelf gun! The only gun that gets as much attention, in this house, is the RTI Prophet Performance Compact .22.

Simply amazing work on that Vet. Now that your “finished” with it...let me know if you get bored and I’ll send you one of mine or maybe all three.
1f602.svg

Thanks! The custom fabrication work is definitely time consuming but it all centers around performance (inside & out). 

I put a plenum extension on my .25 vet last year and mine has a very small gap between the tube at the installed plenum, yours seems more flush than mine did you happen to shave the spacer inside down? I havent had any issues out of mine and the gap is so small i cant see it being an issue but was curious

Yes, I actually do a couple of modifications to them with my lathe to shrink the gap and improve performance.

@MikeHunt - thanks man! I try to build everything to be rock solid. With this particular rifle, if I had to praise something it would actually be the powerplant and barrel! Very accurate and efficient, but it can really make some monster power like all (5) of my Taipans lol

@pesty3782 - thanks!! That has to be one of the best mods for the Taipans with bad or damaged barrels. I've never been able to get the accuracy in .22/.25 with FX liners like I have with that Taipan adapter system. They just seems to suffer a LOT less from harmonic woes!

@mtnGhost

Thanks for following up on the thread so thoroughly. That follow up and "Thank You" is a lost art here.

Merry Christmas Man!

Merry Christmas to you too! 😎🤜

Wow you put some time and thought into that! I have been down some of those roads and it comes down to a few things. The right tools, materials, time, game plan, and determination. Not many get to play with the full recipe of making things like this happen. Congrats on a job well done!

Thanks! The central point for this rifle configuration revolved around one single component - the barrel! The polished stainless steel looked ok with everything else in the factory configuration, but that kind of opened the door to the color theme.

The performance of that barrel really stood out (once I finally got a few decent tins if MRDs) as an absolute TACK DRIVER in conjunction with the powerplant. That pretty much determined how I needed to setup the hammer system and everything else that makes it a solid BR shooter!

BTW, that poly LW barrel is a little over 15mm OD! It's "just" small enough that the moderator shroud slides over it, VERY snug!!!! There's very minimal signs of harmonic issues without the shroud and I'm positive that the shroud solidifies it that much more.