Tactacam stopped working

Last time out at the dairy my Tactacam stopped working after about 150 shots. I contacted Tactacam and they have been exceptionally responsive. After their suggestions via email proved ineffective, they sent me an RMA to return the camera for inspection. Bear in mind this is an out of warranty camera of which they are aware.

What the final outcome will be is unclear at this point, I wanted to point out that they are making every effort to back their product. We are quick to complain about bad service, good service deserves equal time.

Thanks for giving Kudos when Kudos is due. Being a Tactacam owner I'm curious to see how this plays out. Please post results if/when you get this resolved. Did it not activate when you hit the ON button or what? So far, mine has worked exceptionally well but doodoo happens. Good luck with your situation!

My last time at the dairy it stopped working after about 150 shots, yes there are that many birds there. I thought perhaps it was the battery but I tried 2 spares and neither made any difference. When I came home I tested and all 3 batteries read over 4 volts. Without the battery I tried powering it with the charger, same result. It would not connect to my PC via USB. I was able to get the files off the SD card with a card reader.

When I press the ON button it lights green, flashes once and then stays on continuously, and no vibration. The mode button does not light, nor do the battery indicator lights.

It's been totally reliable until now; I'm hopeful that they will be able to repair it for a reasonable sum. It cost $13 just to ship that tiny camera via UPS. I just sold a scope and that cost me $25 with insurance via UPS just to go to the next state; shipping costs are getting ridiculous.

I'll post again when I know more.

Hawkeye, was your camera's firmware current or were you able to get into settings on the app? One time (& one time only) my settings were not where I had left them. Don't know why but never happened again. I'd really be interested in what you find out.

It was current from the last time I checked it. Once the camera failed it would no longer connect.

I'll post when I here more from the mfr. They said it might take as long as 2 weeks.

Update: I received an invoice for $185 from Tactacam. All it says is for a 5.0 upgrade and RMA shipping. I sent payment; it's cheaper than a new camera, though I have no idea what upgrade means. As I stated earlier the camera is out of warranty so I expected to be charged, I just wish they were more specific about what the problem was and what they did if they repaired it. Does upgrade mean that they are upgrading to a new camera, or upgrading the firmware? I suppose that I'll find out when they ship it back.
Good response and contact throughout, so that's a plus for owners.

Final outcome, I received a new camera today from Tactacam with battery and charger. Now I have 4 batteries. I cannot complain for an out of warranty failure I think they did pretty good. The new camera has a USB-C connector and the cord they sent is an old style, but I'm certain they will make it right.
All is well the ends well.
IMG_0543.jpg

I guess if "upgrade" means a new camera than $185 is not so bad. Thanks for posting results but it sounds as though you, like me, kinda wanted to know what exactly happened with the old camera. That was actually a pretty quick resolution!
They probably don't have an answer. Like with most electronics, they probably do a basic test and if it doesn't work the trouble shooting ends at that point. On larger items they might replace a circuit board, capacitor, or whatever. But these camera are so small I doubt that's it even possible, and if it is possible the labor involved wouldn't make it economical.
Bottom line is, I'm pleased with the prompt response and resolution.

Mistakes are human. So, I am glad to hear of such great customer service.

I like Tactacam — push a button on I'm ready to go.
It takes me less than a minute from the shot to reviewing the footage in slomo on my cellphone.... 😊 —— Sometimes I take a pretty far shot and miss, and have no idea why?!? ➔ Review the footage, frame by frame in iCLOO, read on the FFP reticle how far my shot was off, dial the correction, and thudddd, another dead bird.

Wished there was an elegant solution to stop the battery from draining as its bluetooth is continuously on (lasts me about a week).

Matthias

Mistakes are human. So, I am glad to hear of such great customer service.

I like Tactacam — push a button on I'm ready to go.
It takes me less than a minute from the shot to reviewing the footage in slomo on my cellphone.... 😊 —— Sometimes I take a pretty far shot and miss, and have no idea why?!? ➔ Review the footage, frame by frame in iCLOO, read on the FFP reticle how far my shot was off, dial the correction, and thudddd, another dead bird.

Wished there was an elegant solution to stop the battery from draining as its bluetooth is continuously on (lasts me about a week).

Matthias
It's far from elegant, but leave off the end cap and just slide the battery out a bit when not in use.

It's far from elegant, but leave off the end cap and just slide the battery out a bit when not in use.
I bought a 250 watt power bank I bring with me on my trips. I just plug it in with the battery still in the camera for about 10 minutes, I also have the Tactacam charger that can charge two batteries at once. The USB charger has definitely helped me on those long trips where I'm gone for a week filming. I've found I can usually get through a heavy day of filming on two batteries. I had a similar problem with one of my cameras a few years back and they ended up replacing it as it was under warranty. I really love these cameras and the unobstructed way they mount out of the way and seem to be pretty dang durable.