Taboo topic?

Hello all,

Long time member, joined basically as soon as the forum was created. Been away from the forum and sport for over a year and haven't been paying any attention to the industry news. Awesome to see so many new guns, advancements, etc. I always knew I was coming back for a Crown one day and today is the day I finally ordered one, the new Continuum MKII, I can't wait for it to get here hopefully in Feb according to AirgunDepot's site.

That all being said, I just noticed for the first time today that Daystate have slashed prices on every model and I can't find anything through the forum search, google search, etc., talking or speculating about it which seems super curious to me. I thought I would have found a ton of threads talking about it. I found an article from 2015 mentioning exchange rates but I checked that and the rate is about the same now as it was a year ago and all I found beyond that was an article from Hard-Air Magazine back in March announcing the discounts. 

Anyone have any insight to the reason for the discounts? Daystate just not selling or something else, etc.?

Also, anyone that has been on the waiting list for an FX from AirgunDeopt or Pyramid Air, do the orders typically arrive early, on time, late, etc.?

Thank you

I would venture say it is a combination of what Odoyle is saying and a basic reality check of the Dealer ( in this case AoA ) margins ...

Just because Daystate and others have what is called " RRP " in other parts of the world , we call it " MSRP " here does Not necessarily mean you have to charge that price.....well unless you are in the Jewelry or Furniture business.... 👀

At least one of the shops deeply discounted Daystate rifles a few months back. That's when I bought my Renegade. With the "regular" advertised prices, the Renegade was out of line with what I was willing to spend. I called when I noticed that many, if not all Daystate guns were on sale.

Not only did I get the sale price that was offered on the web site, but the salesman took another...$150 off of the sale price. I thanked him profusely, and waited for it to be dropped off. About 8 days later, I had my new Renegade.

Mike

I don't remember the name but I remember the goat,

Welcome back, I think you were on TAG

Mike

Hey Mike, good to see you again, the goat does leave quite an impression I've found 🐐 😊

Welcome back Cliff. Look forward to your experience with your new Continuum MKII !!!!!

Fuss!! Long time no talk, I just saw some pretty amazing 100 yard shooting you were doing with the Boss, looking good my friend.

I have been without an FX for some time now, just haven't been shooting much due to basically working two jobs the last two years and having zero time. Fortunately I now have a lot more time freed up and want to do some more shooting. I took the beloved BSA R-10 off the shelf last week to find it had leaked out and would not hold air. After taking it apart the best I could figure was that the original factory regulator had gone so yesterday I just installed the Huma regulator that I ordered and got to hit the bench for the first time in forever to do some testing. Such a great gun, but man I can't wait for the Continuum to get here!!

Hope all is well with you and yours!

Cliff

Mike

Hey Mike, good to see you again, the goat does leave quite an impression I've found 🐐 😊

Welcome back Cliff. Look forward to your experience with your new Continuum MKII !!!!!

Fuss!! Long time no talk, I just saw some pretty amazing 100 yard shooting you were doing with the Boss, looking good my friend.

I have been without an FX for some time now, just haven't been shooting much due to basically working two jobs the last two years and having zero time. Fortunately I now have a lot more time freed up and want to do some more shooting. I took the beloved BSA R-10 off the shelf last week to find it had leaked out and would not hold air. After taking it apart the best I could figure was that the original factory regulator had gone so yesterday I just installed the Huma regulator that I ordered and got to hit the bench for the first time in forever to do some testing. Such a great gun, but man I can't wait for the Continuum to get here!!

Cliff

Hey, forgot to tell ya. I joined the 500 club. Bought one from Ken shortly after getting the Boss. Did you go .25 cal for your Crown?

At least one of the shops deeply discounted Daystate rifles a few months back. That's when I bought my Renegade. With the "regular" advertised prices, the Renegade was out of line with what I was willing to spend. I called when I noticed that many, if not all Daystate guns were on sale.

Not only did I get the sale price that was offered on the web site, but the salesman took another...$150 off of the sale price. I thanked him profusely, and waited for it to be dropped off. About 8 days later, I had my new Renegade.

Mike

Noticed they were the first to lower Daystate prices some cheaper than AOA.

Mike

Cliff

Hey, forgot to tell ya. I joined the 500 club. Bought one from Ken shortly after getting the Boss. Did you go .25 cal for your Crown?

Nice! I hope it's been as good to you as mine was to me, I never should have sold mine. 

Yes, my BSA r10 is a 22 and I've missed having a .25 ever since I sold it. I just really appreciate the extra "oomph" when shooting. I've always wanted to shoot a .30 but never stepped up to get one. Plus, I have a ton of .25 ammo stacked up that I bought over the years. 😜

Why would reducing prices on old stock be a taboo topic? What did I miss?

Well, a reduction on old stock is one thing. A reduction on ALL of your stock smells like something else. Having spent several years in retail, you just do not go out and massively discount something that is selling like hot cakes. Regardless, my apprehension to bring up the subject revolves around the fact that this type of topic.......

Could start a fanboy war and bring out all the trolls. It's the kind of thread that can spin out of control. Someone says "FX is eating Daystate's lunch because they make way better products at lower prices and Daystate had no choice" Then someone says "Daystate is way better and now you can buy their air rifles for the same price" Then someone else says, yeah, but what about the people that bought a Daystate last year at full price, they got totally scr****, what kind of company does that?" And someone else says "yeah, and on top of that their resale value just got shot to hell" and then someone else says "at least their Daystate's won't be in the shop every other day, what good is an airgun if you never get to shoot it?" Then someone else says, "it only seems like FX break a lot because they outsell Daystate 10 to 1 so of course you are going to hear of more problems" etc etc etc. I've seen dozens of such threads get locked by moderators over the years. That's why I was hesitant to bring it up. 

I'm pleasantly surprised though, all of the responses have been pretty benign, kudos to those that have participated so far.