N/A Switched flipped on a Jefferson State Raptor

Well after talking with Scott Schneider (Motörhead) and Matt from Jefferson State Air Rifles I've flipped the switch on a .25 Raptor long barrel ( 26"/ 660mm) and larger plentum). Not doing anything crazy. Rational is I WANT IT, which should be enough. Went with a .25 because of my permission for ground squirrels has WIND. As some know I've got a .22 Maverick Compact that splats the little rodents quite well at 125 yards, and my .25 VP 600mm barrel that is a friggin' tack driver so....I'm treating myself to something different. I'm fully expecting 1/2 minute of squirrel.

Now at some point in time, I'll get this thing and we'll see what it can do.

Matt sent a pic of my gun, apparently it fell apart....KIDDING!!!! Not my scope but....he's not happy with the barrel and is redoing it...more anxious pacing. I don't know why but I seriously want to Cerakote this thing. A little late now I suppose.

1706135353905.png

Let us know how it shoots when it shows up
Oh you can count on it. I call them as I see them. I've read a bunch of the reviews, watched Shooter1721 use it to clear branches, of course he can get most anything to do well but he did it rapid fire, the history of the operation and some chatting with someone closely involved in their development and production. Spent some time chatting with Matt, nice guy. He makes sure the guns are spot on and I'm sure it will be. I'm expecting 1 MOC...1 minute of cork at 100yards. :cool: I may have to set up a range in the house if it's sill raining, I'm sure the Mrs. will understand.

When you get time, I like to see how it compares to the Maverick. It looks pretty sweet.
Oh trust me you'll be among the first to find out. I'm planning on mounting a scope on Sunday and getting it sighted in at 30 yards, my max at home, then next week, weather willing take it to my permission where I can stretch out to 275 yards, I'll just work my way out to 100 or so.

Ok, got the scope on the Raptor, now let me preface any following comments with, darn never everything I get has issues, either theirs of I've messed up. In the case of the JSAR, it's downright weird.. Charged it up, loaded some 33.94 JSB's put a piece of cardboard out at 35 yards, got all set up and...oh this sounds loud, ok let's try again....OH DAMN sounds like a gun shot, it's breaking the sound barrier, let's pull back and get this puppy back in the garage. Put on my FX radar, and go try it again....first shot..980, second shot 1200fps, gun shot, echoing ....Sent a message to Matt., he calls like fast..on a SUNDAY... We spend some quality time chatting, trying to figure out WTH is going on., it worked fine in Oregon. I popped out the hammer spring, put it back in and barely tightened it went out, shot, slowing tighting until I hit 970 fps, sound level is down, shots are wandering a bit but we're of the mind something happened in transit.

So tomorrow, I'll see if it settles in or it just doesn't like Calif. It wouldn't be alone on that one.

Well here it is tomorrow i.e. Monday shoved a bunch of JSB 33.95 though and ....it has two speeds, high and low, pretty evenly split. My karma is catching up to me apparently, the gun groups well, especially how I'm shooting it with no stock balancing on a Caldwell at 35 yards, zero complaints there, Matthew wants it back so he can try to figure out what's going on. Zero rhyme or reason, no pattern what so ever. When this gets sorted out I'm sure it's going to be awesome.

Last edited:
I hope this gets resolved and is something simple, it just ruins the new hype.

It’s not your luck, these airguns are complicated and QA is lacking in most cases. I can’t even think of pb that I have had issues with out of the box. My TX200 had slight damage to it when I received it and my Mav was damaged and tuned badly by the vendor.
Our friend Motorhead say's its the regulator. Just my luck. It was tested prior to shipping, the cork picture above. As far as I can tell, it wasn't dropped from too high by UPS.

My first Mav has a bad o-ring in #1 right from the git go. My Sapsan had a bad reg..sensing a trend here....My preloved Maverick was a total mess...my Tequila Pistol was fine., my first air rifle had a bent barrel, Remington Nitro. My first air pistol a Daisy 717 was and still is fine.

edit: This will be sorted out, things will be learned. Even with these swings that 'should' have messed up my groups it didn't, this thing is going to be a tack driver. I haven't addressed a few things, the gun is SOLID, cocking is smooth and precise, I actually had to look to see if it had a trigger, it was just 'there' I absolutely love wide triggers, it makes it way easier to pull. Fit and finish was excellent. As I haven't really had the stock on the gun I can't say anything about it except it's minimalistic, and adjustable for cheek height and length of pull. The cheek riser has something on it other than cold/hot metal. Except for the few sonic shots with a good moderator it's backyard friendly, silent no but good enough, for giggles I may put on a slightly longer Donny Shogun than the Sumo that I'd ordered, my bad. I'm looking forward on how to tune this.

Last edited: