• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.
I'm TORN!

I really want a high end scope in the power range of 5-20 magnification for long range targets. I've already got two Hawke scopes 8-32x and they SEEM fine except that I am just not really SURE that when I adjust the turrets or change the magnification that the POI holds true. After reading about SWFA scopes I am sure that is not a problem with them.

Now here's why I am torn.... I really want the SWFA SS 5-20 HD scope. I like EVERYTHING about it (even the FFP) EXCEPT that it will only adjust the parallax to 35 meters. That is fine for 50yds and beyond which is what I primary want to shoot however it will LIMIT me to that for sure.

I could buy the SWFA SS 3-15 (because it will adjust 6m to infinity) but I don't really want it because it doesn't have HD glass, the end optic is like 42mm (instead of 50), and the turrets are not as smooth to adjust as the on the 5-20x, AND it doesn't magnify to 20x. (I shoot the Hawke scopes primarily at 20x).

HOW TO DO?

I feel your dilemma. In the end, I'd get neither scope and stick with the Hawke scopes you have since there are drawbacks to both the scopes you are looking to replace them with. Wait and spend your money on the scope you hope checks all the boxes on your wish list. So far in my searching for the perfect scope, I've only found one (I think). I just can't bring myself to pay $2000 for a March 3-24x42 FFP tactical riflescope. If you are curious and have the coin, they have a larger 50mm bell sized version as well.

1) Assuming that a scope in these major brands wont hold POI when zoomed in to 20x is.......I don't even have a word for that. Just erase that out of your mind. I've come to find out over time that Hawke is not a "great" brand compared to some of the others. 

2) Now I can tell you right now that the glass on the SWFA is better than any Hawke scope you have even when it is not the HD glass on the SWFA. Especially if you get a fixed magnification, it is very clear being that it doesn't have multiple layers of glass on the inside to create variable magnification. 

I too was worried about the SWFA only having a 42mm objective, but in the fixed magnification series, that was not an issue whatsoever! Feels as if it's 50mm and also possible seems better than most scopes. I have nothing but high praises about the SWFA in a fixed magnification. I also wouldn't suggest going above the 15x zoom on a non HD glass scope. The image quality starts to get distorted somewhere around 15x.

Another scope that I like for FFP, zoom, glass and price would be the Athlon. Haven't found anything else out there better for the price. I suggest the Argos, Helos or Ares.

Great scope. 

IMO a great one piece QD Mount for a picatinny rail is the Bobro. Not cheap, but its always held zero for me on centerfires, so you’ll have no issues on a PCP. It’s also among the lightest weight one piece QD mounts. You’ll probably want a standard NOT extended version. 

http://www.bobroengineering.com/view/product/7/

If you’re not interested in QD, Aero Precision makes a nice, light weight single piece mount for about $80.

Which reticle did you go with?

I went with the FMA-2 reticles. I wanted MOA turrets because I didn't want to try to think in Mils.

I seriously considered the 3-24x52mm but I could only find them in Mil turrents. There are several different reticles for both mil or moa but its was almost impossible to find a supplier that had any March Optics in stock in those variables. One guy said even there is a 3 month waiting period on them. Optics Planet is the only one that I could find that had stock and they only had the 3-24x52mm in Mil turrents and since they were about a grand higher I just went with the 42mm so I could get MOA.

Perfect choice for air rifle precision work. I have an FML1 & FMLT1 on centerfires and they’re great, but the .1 mil floating dot is WAY too big for near field pellet work - I tried. I have the FMA-2 on an AirWolf and its 1/8 MOA center dot is ideal, absolutely the better choice. 

Also, WRT to the MIL/MOA debate, again, IMO for air rifle use MOA is the way to go. The clicks are smaller, we’ll never shoot at the distances where MIL makes sense, we THINK in 1/4” misses, not tenths of MILS (0.36”) and we’re not holding for large corrections where MIL thinking becomes beneficial. 

I shoot MIL with powder burners and steel targets at 1000 yds, but MUCH prefer MOA for air rifle and short range precision work.

You made the right choice, you’ll love it. 

"brucel"Haha, hide the receipt from her. 
Another question....Delladog (or to anyone with an opinion), do you think if I buy the Bobro that I should buy them in 20 moa or no?

Actually, that’s a very good question. 

What gun are you putting the scope on and how far do you plan on shooting?

With a typical .22 16gr JSB, 50 yards is about a 1Mil (3.3 MOA) hold and 100 yards is about 5 Mils. (17.5 MOA)

I’d say no because ideally you’d like the scope optically centered at the distance you shoot most and 20 MOA is gonna have you cranked way outside center at typical pellet shooting distances. 

You’ve got 100 MOA adjustment with that scope, IMO, that’s plenty.