SWFA rear focus drawbacks/advantages?

im looking to get a new scope for field target and think I've decided on a 12x42 SWFA scope. My question is what are the drawbacks to saving $100 and getting the rear focus model? The specs seem the same except one is side focus for $399 and the other rear focus for $299. Is this even a good mid range scope for hunter field target? Might even get a lower powered model for my hunting rifle if they are as good as everyone says. Rear focus could help me conceal movement while focusing the objective. Any input is appreciated. 

I enjoy the rear focus on my SWFA and was a big draw to me actually. Now since your doing HFT I'm not sure how that'll work in that situation but for me I'm mainly hunting and it works wonderfully! But I came from the focus on the bell of the scope to the rear focus. Can't say much about a side focus as I currently have one coming my way (not SWFA) but for me I think the rear focus is hard to beat. I also don't look at the yardage on it very often though as I'm very good at guesstimating distances that I shoot at. With competition I know that's very very important though.

Not sure the 12X is available in side focus ( but I'm often wrong ) I've had the 10X with both and just my opinion....Its not worth any extra money ...Much less 100$ .....But if I understand FT rules you can use your focus as a way to range targets ..If that's the case then a side focus would probably be the way to go . 
I honestly believe that the SWFA scopes for 300$ cannot be beat if it fits your purpose . And that's coming from a guy who has spent a small Fortune on scopes over the years . Every " keeper" gu n I own , I cluding my crossbow wears a swfa scope except my 10m rifles . And thatsthat's ONLY because the 10 m guns need a Very short scope 

I think you're right JWR. I was looking at the 10x line and assumed they had that many options for every power. Saved me some time and aggravation. Might just mount one of those scopes you sent me from the video Joe, might help me score higher lol. 

I used a UTG swat scope last year and it was ok with side focus but now it's time to get an upgrade and my head is spinning trying to figure out which way to go. The hunting advantages make rear focus appealing, thanks dairyboy for confirming my thought on it. I think the rear focus could work but may be cluttered on the dial when I mark my yardage. Might try to figure out a way to minimize markings or make a "code" and cheat sheet. Might not be worth the $100 savings though if it takes a ton of time to get it set up. My head is spinning again. 

Would a different scope/power from SWFA be better for my wants? I'm not dead set on the 12x anyway. That's just the maximum power and I need advantages. Lots of them. Thanks again for your input, I've learned a lot from members and glad I can ask questions before spending my hard earned dollars. 

I think the side focus gives you convenience of just being able to glance left, rather than remove the rifle from your shoulder pocket. Using a side wheel gives the granularity to fine focus I think easier. That might be mitigated by adding a quick focus ring to the rear focus. 

I have a SWFA mounted on a MRod. The way I set up my rings, as far apart as possible on the receiver rail, the rear ring covered the rear focus hash/indicator mark. However, I had to adjust it recently for shooting from the prone (moved the scope back a few inches) and is no longer a problem.